Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

will buckled alloy wheel cause a vibration at a speed of 80 mph?

I have an Audi A3 1.9 TDIe. I recently felt strong vibration from the back of my car at a speed of 80mph when I tried to overtake cars on M4. The vibration never appear for a speed below 80 mph and the fuel consumption is normal 5.5L/100km.

The first reason I can think of is the balance of my rear wheel are not properly done after I replace my OSF tyre. Therefore, I went back to the blackcircle premier garage where I got my OSF tyre replaced and told them the problem. However, I mistakenly told them I changed my NSF tyre there and felt vibration at 80mph. They remove the NSF tyre and wheel and have a careful check and told me the NSF wheel is buckled. They show me that putting the NSF tyre and wheel on an equipment and rotating the wheel a bit and the display on top of the equipment shows a reading of weight, the right side is about 50g heavier than the left. They told me this could happen when I run over potholes at high speed. Does that mean the wheel is buckled?

I am wondering if there will be some other reasons that can cause the vibration at 80mph. Does anyone know about a good wheel refurbished garage in Bristol and how much it will be to refurbish a buckled wheel? I can buy a new genuin audi 16 inch 6 arm alloy wheel at 148 pounds from alloywheelsdirect. If the refurbish cost is more than that, I would go for a new alloy wheel.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Gievf Buckets

Status
    there is a high probability of your wheels is buckled, perhaps now is your chance to buy an upgrade set of wheels, i have the set pictured in my avatar for sale 5x alloys all genuine audi wheels 18" refurbished in sepang bronze with top end of the market tyres and 6mm+ tread

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

5th Gear

Status
    Yes buckle will cause vibration. Speed at which vibration happens will depend on position and severity of buckle.
    For about £35 you may have the buckle almost completely removed. Search google.

Example: wheelcraftuk
    Last edited by MrLapou; 27th March 2013 at 16:06.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    Yes buckle will cause vibration. Speed at which vibration happens will depend on position and severity of buckle.
    For about £35 you may have the buckle almost completely removed. Search google.

Example: wheelcraftuk
    thanks a lot. I will try to refurbish my wheel. If it cannot be refurbished, I will go and get a new one.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PH1L View Post
    there is a high probability of your wheels is buckled, perhaps now is your chance to buy an upgrade set of wheels, i have the set pictured in my avatar for sale 5x alloys all genuine audi wheels 18" refurbished in sepang bronze with top end of the market tyres and 6mm+ tread
    thank you very much for your reply and advice

1st Gear

Status
    I had the same but got my wheels re-balanced and it went away

Neutral

Status
    I might also try to balance my 4 wheels first before I go for refurbishing my wheel. Do you know how much it will cost? Shall I go to independent garage or any tyre garage will do?

However, I am not quite sure about the equipment they used to show me the weight difference on my NSR wheel and Tyre.

1st Gear

Status
    I've had this on more than one car from a misshaped tyre - easy to check, jack up car, place piece of wood or similar under tyre and rotate - if the distance between wood and tyre changes, it's no longer round! More common than you might think - once got a new pair of tyres on my old Polo with just this problem not long after they were newly fitted.

moderately amusing

Status
    yeah a buckled rim will defo give you bad vibes!
    blame the pot holes lol!
    and just to add, a buckled rim will still balance up, its more of a case of watching the wheel rotate on the balancing machine to see if out of true!
    i had this happen to me after a wheel refurb!
    lovely clean shiney rims with new rubber, pulling out of industrial estate and then BANG!!!! hit a pothole, and wobbled all the way back home at speeds over 60mph!
    went back to refurb place and told them my wheels were not balanced properly and they turned out that they were!
    so went to a place that fixes buckled rims and he confirmed it was buckled! culprit pothole, and extremely common and on the increase caused by our stinking roads we drive on!
    the dude explained that large wide rims are very strong on the external/spokey side, but week as pi55 on the inner side, and a sudden impact like a pothole bends them like cheese!
    anywho, i got it straightened with a hydraulic ram he had and is now as good as new!
    try balancing first, if no joy go for a unbuckle mate!
    .................................................. ..........

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEZ View Post
    yeah a buckled rim will defo give you bad vibes!
    blame the pot holes lol!
    and just to add, a buckled rim will still balance up, its more of a case of watching the wheel rotate on the balancing machine to see if out of true!
    i had this happen to me after a wheel refurb!
    lovely clean shiney rims with new rubber, pulling out of industrial estate and then BANG!!!! hit a pothole, and wobbled all the way back home at speeds over 60mph!
    went back to refurb place and told them my wheels were not balanced properly and they turned out that they were!
    so went to a place that fixes buckled rims and he confirmed it was buckled! culprit pothole, and extremely common and on the increase caused by our stinking roads we drive on!
    the dude explained that large wide rims are very strong on the external/spokey side, but week as pi55 on the inner side, and a sudden impact like a pothole bends them like cheese!
    anywho, i got it straightened with a hydraulic ram he had and is now as good as new!
    try balancing first, if no joy go for a unbuckle mate!
    thank you very much for your comments, which reads like watching a movie. I bet your second profession must be a writer

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    I've had this on more than one car from a misshaped tyre - easy to check, jack up car, place piece of wood or similar under tyre and rotate - if the distance between wood and tyre changes, it's no longer round! More common than you might think - once got a new pair of tyres on my old Polo with just this problem not long after they were newly fitted.
    thanks a lot for sharing your idea.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    If you look at the tyre walls misshapen tyres will have localised bulges where the banding inside is burst, tgeses are by no means safe to keep driving on they will get you to the workshop though

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PH1L View Post
    If you look at the tyre walls misshapen tyres will have localised bulges where the banding inside is burst, tgeses are by no means safe to keep driving on they will get you to the workshop though
    thanks for your comments. I do not think my tyres are misshaped. I will give it a try on wheel balancing. If not work, I will go straight to refurbish it or get a new wheel.

Neutral

Status
    Thank for all your replies. I would like to update my repair for the vibration at 80mph.

Yesterday I went to a tyre garage at clifton village Bristol, when I drove in, they noticed my NSR tyre needs to be replaced, They suspect the vibration might be due to a bad conditioned tyre. Therefore, they replaced my NSR tyre but they told me the NSR wheel is not buckled. They also remove my NSF tyre to check if there is anything wrong with it. However,after I gave it a go on the M4, the problem still exists. This morning I came back to the garage, they balanced my OSR tyre for free and told me the OSR wheel has no weights on it at all. Then I gave it a go on the M4, see what happens, the vibration went away. I am not sure if it is due to the heavy wind that I can't hear any vibration from the rear part of the car or the balance fixed the vibration. I will keep updates if in future, the vibration is back.

If your car vibrates at a certain speed, I would recommend to balance all the wheels first. I do not blame the garage that they replaced my tyre which has 3 or 4mm left on the thread. Never save on tyres and brakes, it is worthwhile to spend on them!

Quote Originally Posted by adam1314 View Post
    I have an Audi A3 1.9 TDIe. I recently felt strong vibration from the back of my car at a speed of 80mph when I tried to overtake cars on M4. The vibration never appear for a speed below 80 mph and the fuel consumption is normal 5.5L/100km.

The first reason I can think of is the balance of my rear wheel are not properly done after I replace my OSF tyre. Therefore, I went back to the blackcircle premier garage where I got my OSF tyre replaced and told them the problem. However, I mistakenly told them I changed my NSF tyre there and felt vibration at 80mph. They remove the NSF tyre and wheel and have a careful check and told me the NSF wheel is buckled. They show me that putting the NSF tyre and wheel on an equipment and rotating the wheel a bit and the display on top of the equipment shows a reading of weight, the right side is about 50g heavier than the left. They told me this could happen when I run over potholes at high speed. Does that mean the wheel is buckled?

I am wondering if there will be some other reasons that can cause the vibration at 80mph. Does anyone know about a good wheel refurbished garage in Bristol and how much it will be to refurbish a buckled wheel? I can buy a new genuin audi 16 inch 6 arm alloy wheel at 148 pounds from alloywheelsdirect. If the refurbish cost is more than that, I would go for a new alloy wheel.

1st Gear

Status
    Glad you got it sorted bud and it was just balancing.

Makes such a dif as I mentioned before.

5th Gear

Status
    Great result. Much better than fixing a buckled wheel. So perhaps the previous garage were lying it was buckled!!!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    Great result. Much better than fixing a buckled wheel. So perhaps the previous garage were lying it was buckled!!!
    It is hard to tell if the previous garage who replaced my OSR 4 month ago is lying or not because they are a blackcircles premier garage and do not refurbish alloy wheel. I guess they probably forgot to balance my OSR tyre when they replaced last Dec. It was part of my mistake to ask them to check if the balance of the NSR is okay or not. I should have told them to check OSR not NSR.