Just call me "The DSG Killer"

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
Yup, you guessed it - my car is having a new DSG box.

Could take up to 5 days to arrive then another day or so to fit it. In the mean time I have an Audi hire car (no idea what it is yet) to replace the A3 1.6 the dealer lent me as a loaner... should pick it up today or monday morning....

Sounds bad Spence, so what did you do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not sure what has actually happened - they originally thought it was one of the clutches but having thought about it, the problem was only there in 1st gear, so that would seem unlikely.

As for what I did.... lol, not sure! I guess I'll find out if it was me or not if I blow up another one in 13000 miles time!

I have to say though, the dealer has been excellent so far, they have been very accomodating with me being able to get there to swap the loaner they gave me for the hire car etc etc.....

Hehe, got to the dealer this morning.... Handed over the keys to the hairdryer and the nice girl gave me a set of keys to.....

An A6 2.7TDi S-Line. Now that's what I call a loaner!!!! What a monster... I'm not going to want to give it back/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

Looks like Audi are taking it pretty seriously though which is good, I just hope they don't say it's the way I drive or something, lol.

Anyone heard of other serious problems with the DSG boxes used in the VAG range?

Not particularly, but I suppose there's a risk on all mechanical parts.

There's a thread or two on here about people having faulty clutches, new diffs and boxes on manuals, so 1 failed DSG doesn't seem too bad.

Thats no consolation for you though!

[ QUOTE ]
Not particularly, but I suppose there's a risk on all mechanical parts.

There's a thread or two on here about people having faulty clutches, new diffs and boxes on manuals, so 1 failed DSG doesn't seem too bad.

Thats no consolation for you though!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I had a quick search and didn't come up with a lot - just wondered if there was anything on the golfs etc that use it....

TBH, as it's not my car and being fixed up under warranty I'm not too worried about it.... plus having a nice car as a hire car is a bonus too (but then wait till I get the fuel bill, lol)

[ QUOTE ]
How you finding driving a proper manual again ?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be alright if it wasn't for that clutch pedal thing!!!

Seriously though - I've only stalled a couple of times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif other than that, I drive most of my time on the M-Ways and major roads so no real need to change gear that often. Having said that I was stuck in traffic for 10 minutes this morning, but didn't notice it really.

The clutch on it seems so heavy compared to the 1.6 though (no surprise there, really)

I must admit, being used to the DSG on my own A3, if I drive my wife's manual Polo, normal gear changing is no problem but I usually forget to put the clutch in when I stop at a junction or roundabout for the first couple of times.

Having been driving manual gearbox cars for 40 years it surprising how quickly the old brain forgets the basics now that I spend most of my time driving a DSG. The manual now seems very primative and old fashioned compared with the DSG.