Bonnet issues

Burkin

Reaction score
Hi this morning I opened the bonnet of my a3 and it opened fine and so I topped up my water. I close the bonnet and it just pops up again. It won't close at all I tried pulling the bonnet release and everything but the bonnet will not close! I think it may be the metal pins that catch the bonnet in place but cannot be sure. Can anyone help me?

My friend had a similar issue and after a little investigation he found that it was caused by the end of the bonnet release cable rusting inside the lock mechanism causing it to seize. Squirting a bit of WD40 inside the locking mechanism and exercising the bonnet release might free it up a bit for a quick fix but for a more permanent solution you need to take the lock mechanism out and clear out some of the rust. Then your car's bonnet release will be as good as new!

Didn't seem to help really I think as I opened it the bonnet release cable has given in and closing didn't seem able still so I have booked it into the garage to sort it

Is the handle going back into position, or staying in the open position ? Cable could be sticking, or latch.

I got it checked by Audi Northampton yesterday and the bonnet catch was completely stiff and the bonnet release cable had snapped (as I thought) so they both had to be replaced unfortunately. I tried wd40 and it didn't help the mechanism so it was the only resort