Seized alternator pulley

Graham89

Derv Perv
Reaction score
Has anybody had experience with the chirping rattling serpentine belt?
I've since found out from various people that the most likely culprit is the alternator clutch seized up. The tensioner is dancing around like crazy on idle. Any revs above 1000 it sounds normal and the tensioner does not move about. My plan is to keep the revs up when in traffic etc.

Normally I wouldn't drive when something snot right however tomorrow I'm going to Belgium at 4am for the day. I'm hoping its going to hold....how long have people left theres??

My mates alternator pulley caused the same thing on his mk5 golf tdi. Was a very straight forward job though.

You'll have to take the alternator out.

You'll be able to come back from Belgium however be easy on throttle and it shouldnt cause any issues. If it becomes really bad I would just cut the belt and come back ASAP and drive without any electric.

Yeah that's a good idea if it gets to much. I've got European breakdown cover. Of all the days it could have broke why tonight!!! Oh well. I'll let you know how I get on once I'm home.

Happened to me in January, the whole pulley just decided it had had enough and separated at the bearings, made quite a mess of it but could have been worse if it had broken up completely.

You will get about 30 mins of driving (on a decent battery) without any consumables on before you'll lose the power steering (its electric) and start to get all sorts of lights on dash for ESP and ABS - as I found out!

Luckily I have a mate that owns a alternator refurb company and he had a new clutch pulley within an hour back in place

Get it done ASAP as it will break up soon!

Well I've made it home. Today was a 500 mile round trip with a seized alternator pulley and it hasn't got any worse. I was worrying the whole time that it was going to break up and come off!

Going to order the new pulley tomorrow and get it fitted tomorrow night. Are the alternators simple to remove? Looks like an AC pipe needs to be moved out the way.

Alternator is **** easy to remove after you remove the belt. Just two bolts however you may need to shake the alternator a bit as its quite tightly fitted.