Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: S3 + snow

S3 Owner

Status
    Other than the other day when I managed to beach the front of the car on the drive (about a foot of snow!) mine has not missed a beat even with worn normal tyres!

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Back on the 18th January onwards, I had to take a trip from South London into the heart of Sussex in that heavy (for UK) snow we had. I'm not overly confident with drifting/playing, maybe would be if I'd have bought an old nail 8L S3 instead of a brand new BE! However I am competent at "normal" snow driving. The car, running Bridgestone RE050As, was superb. Even to the point I was having a little bit of a play on the open country B-Roads! The only time I came unstuck was actually parking the car on the sloped car park outside my flat that evening, when the bugger wouldn't stay still and nearly slid into (should that be THROUGH!) a neighbour's FIAT 500. That was worrying as I had the car in reverse and on the gas as it did so! Ended up doing a quick steer out, going round the block and parking on the flat!
    Overall I was SO impressed, just wish for more and some emptier large roads to start testing my drifting more!
    Kelza likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    mmm

Untitled by Ste_Nova, on Flickr
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

3rd Gear

Status

S3 + snow

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364412765.951896.jpg

My s3 hasn't missed a beat. Awesome in the snow.
    S3 Sportback

1st Gear

Status
    So I think the long and short of this thread is that _Zerocool_ there's something wrong with your car
    MY10 Ibis White S3 - Black Edition

is a retronaut

Status
    My car has always been awesome in the snow. I go down roads that only people in 4x4s normally venture.

Your manual says you should turn the ESP off in the snow with Quattro.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Neutral

Status
    My S3 on Conti sc/2/3's with 6mm fronts and 5mm rears,has been excellent in the snow and ice.
    Have always fitted winters on the bmw but not an issue with the S3.Have been well impressed.
    --M135i AW,Manual--

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluefox View Post
    So I think the long and short of this thread is that _Zerocool_ there's something wrong with your car
    I can't see how that can be the case. all 4 wheels were spinning so it must be the tyres but thanks for your helpful post. now fitted with winter tyres all round and is as good as i thought it should have been

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by _Zerocool_ View Post
    I can't see how that can be the case. all 4 wheels were spinning so it must be the tyres but thanks for your helpful post. now fitted with winter tyres all round and is as good as i thought it should have been
    but there was something wrong with your car..... the tyres!!
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Your manual says you should turn the ESP off in the snow with Quattro.
    only if you get stuck and it wont allow you to move, with my a6 driving fast on snow/ice with the esp off was dangerous as it would spin the wheels and slide even with snow tyres on,

with the esp on you can drive like an idiot and its just 10% tail happy if you stab it lol, also when towing cars up hills you can use full throttle and the tc & esp does all the work and keep the grip maxed
    VCDS in North Wales

S3X

Status
    My 2010 S3 Sportback is absolutely pants in even the shallowest of snow. Running on OEM Bridgestone RE050A's. I think the Haldex or Quattro is misfunctioning - the front wheels slip even on full power from a standstill in the dry. Anyone had experience of Haldex / Quattro "breaking" in an 8P S3 ?

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    why would you expect from summer tyres to be great on snow??
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

4th Gear

Status
    TBH my Quattro has cheap as **** summer tyres on at the moment ... it has been awesome in the Sheffield snow, going where most didn't dare. It was me, land rovers, imprezas, Hilux and Evos all having fun.

Then I got a bit brave, headed down a steep hill with about an inch of packed ice. Needless to say, things got sketchy pretty quick and ended up sideways sliding down the road with the backend trying to go first.

Slapped it in to reverse, traction control off, reversed up the hill like a boss. Only my own stupidity let me down, the car never did ... even on (really really) cheap tyres.
    ​​Programmer/Web Developer, Headphone/Amp Geek
    06 SLine Special Edition Phantom Black 2.0T FSI Quattro A3
    Done: P-Flo, RevD, Sachs Organic, Milltek TBE + Res + Sports cat
    Wanted/Next:Intercooler, HPFP, Remap

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova View Post
    only if you get stuck and it wont allow you to move, with my a6 driving fast on snow/ice with the esp off was dangerous as it would spin the wheels and slide even with snow tyres on,

with the esp on you can drive like an idiot and its just 10% tail happy if you stab it lol, also when towing cars up hills you can use full throttle and the tc & esp does all the work and keep the grip maxed
    This brings me to a question. While playing in the snow, I got stuck. And I mean really stuck. So I was trying to get out ... just as I was about to disengage ESP to spin my way out ... it switched itself off. After I was unstuck, it came back on.

Is this a fault? I mean, it was super helpful and came back on when I found proper road again. Just seems like voodoo.
    ​​Programmer/Web Developer, Headphone/Amp Geek
    06 SLine Special Edition Phantom Black 2.0T FSI Quattro A3
    Done: P-Flo, RevD, Sachs Organic, Milltek TBE + Res + Sports cat
    Wanted/Next:Intercooler, HPFP, Remap

Neutral

Status
    my old astra did that last month before the s3, spinning up the hill spinning spinning etc etc, after a min of spinning (not flat out just crawling up the hill) the abs light come on along with traction control light got to the top mile down the road and they went off :/ s3 would have pissed all over the hill

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_50001 View Post
    My 2010 S3 Sportback is absolutely pants in even the shallowest of snow. Running on OEM Bridgestone RE050A's. I think the Haldex or Quattro is misfunctioning - the front wheels slip even on full power from a standstill in the dry. Anyone had experience of Haldex / Quattro "breaking" in an 8P S3 ?
    I'm still a bit surprised by that,but I'd lay the blame at least in part at those Bridgestones,which have poor grip and a very hard compound.
    I'm betting mine runs a lot more power than yours,and on Michelin PS3's,PS2's and Goodyear F1's,it's been fine.but the OEM Bridgestones are rubbish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12