170 TDi Remap.. Pointless?

Lee540

Reaction score
Hi all,

Comtemplating a remap on my 2009 A3 TDi CR170.. just wondering whether or not its a pointless exercise? I find that my front wheel drive struggles for grip under acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear due to the torque on anything other than dry road (not very often in UK) and its my daily driver.

Before anyone says tyres, Michelin PS3 all round.

Others with higher power front wheel drive diesel with lots of torque, are there other mods to help this?

Cheers

Lee

Theres not much u can do to conquer the wheelspinning other than having a lighter foot. No point remapping for higher power unless ur happy getting a dpf removal. There are companies that offer economy remaps rather than performance. Not sure how it works exactly so look into it. May also be worth enquiring about progressive boost maps, so u get less boost pressure in lower revs and a more violent surge up top, coupled with different boost pressures dependant on gears.

There are FWD cars out there with a lot more power so I don't think it's pointless. Safer overtaking at higher speeds and gears is a benefit for example. Also, you can extend the power band without actually increasing torque :)

Rick

I wouldn't say it's pointless but more that it depends what you want from the car. You don't say what it is you are looking for so it's difficult to answer - eg more mid range, more overtaking power, traffic light GP or just top trumps statistics and a rolling road read out?

I'd personally say save your pennies and buy an S3, that will do all you are looking for on wet or dry out of the box.

You can only improve a car so far.