Coming Home Lights Not Working

Rom

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've just Retro fitted the leaving / coming home lights mod.

Coded it all in, leaving home works fine, so I assume the wiring side is fine, as it's only one wire.

Coding wise, I followed the guide. Bytes 5 and 7 are checked, adaptation is set to 30 secs for both.

The guide suggests they should just by starting engine, then turning off and removing key?
So there's no minimum time of running before they will activate?

Don't have auto lights ^^

The cable has a proper ring terminal crimped on, which is insulated. So there's no exsposed wire.

The fact leaving home works, makes me think it's more a coding issue.
I checked my module, it's high spec one, so that should be fine.

Just try activate the additional dis options, did that on mine and they started to work, it gives the option to adjust the times too

No that I'm not sure on! I don't own vcds I have it done for me! I believe it's in central electronics (where the c/h & l/h options are)
and into long coder and its either called dis addition features or dis comfort or something along them lines

No that I'm not sure on! I don't own vcds I have it done for me! I believe it's in central electronics (where the c/h & l/h options are)
and into long coder and its either called dis addition features or dis comfort or something along them lines

It depends what year your car is as to whether you have got the necessary control module. Look in central electrics for DIS additional features.

I did Lee's for him and I forget what year his is but my 2006 sportback does not have the same facility. Anything before 2006 has no chance !

Lee - why did you hit the dislike button on Mikemc's post ???

Didn't know I had actually! Thats what you get for quickly replying on iphone! How do i get rid?Mines 2007

sorted it! Sorry about that

Well mines an 04. Dont remember seeing anything like that.

I did find an option for something like lh/ch activation 0 = something 1 = something.
But didnt look like I needed it, more for auto lights or something.

I'll have a look tom when I get time. But did notice lh didnt work when I went to car after work, but did when I tried it once I was home.
So I'll recheck the wire just to be sure.

Disconnect the wire and see if they work. If they don't then 'flash the wire to earth and try again.

The system works on a ' toggle on - toggle off ' basis so the wire shouldn't be connected permanently. When it works just tape up the end of the wire and stash it. If you want to turn them off then flash it again.

Your DIS will not have the additional options so you can't switch them on and off that way.

So the wire doesnt need to be constantly earthed ? Just earthed once to activate / de activate the system ? Then you could disconnected, and it should remain working as described ?

Right. Disconnected the wire, nothing worked. Shorted it once. Leaving home works fine, everytime I've tried it. Before it had stopped working.

Coming home is odd, the dipped flick on then off, and sides flash 3-5 times.
Also side flash when I turn key on after leaving home is active.

I have t8ps led sides, but no errors on dash, and they work for for leaving.
Going to try disabling coming home if it's an option. See what that does.

Still at a loss with this.
Disconnected side lights incase they were the cause, dipped beams fllickered when key removed.

For now ive disabled coming home.
But even leaving home doesnt seem to work everytime i unlock the car.

Wire is now disconnected.

Any ideas ?

Right. Disconnected the wire, nothing worked. Shorted it once. Leaving home works fine, everytime I've tried it. Before it had stopped working.

Coming home is odd, the dipped flick on then off, and sides flash 3-5 times.
Also side flash when I turn key on after leaving home is active.

I have t8ps led sides, but no errors on dash, and they work for for leaving.
Going to try disabling coming home if it's an option. See what that does.

The led side will always flash on start up as the car checks the lights. Interested in this as I want ch lh on my 2005 it's starting to seem like its not a goer

I done this quite some time ago on mine - the mod. Works for both ch/lh 24/7 as I don't have the light sensor

If you've followed the guide it should work... Have you checked the timing values in the adaptions? - sorry cant think of the adaption channel off hand

It seems hit and miss from what I've read must be getting the coding bang on

The coding is the simplest part tbh, you just 'tick' the boxes

iirc there are two boxes to tick for coming home & leaving home and the one for the light sensor needs to be left unchecked

Yeah, i originally changed the value for leaving from 60 to 30, but also tried it back to 60 just to check.

As it is now, ive only ticked leaving, as coming didnt work anyway. But obviously had them both ticked the first time.
Light sensor is un checked still yeah.

Ill plug it back in tom and write them down to be sure.
I did follow the guide, which is why im a bit confused. I just been out to pick gf, unlocked car, and nothing came on.
Came home, locked it, just tried as i type this, and they came on. Is there a limit, or something ? As ealier i had locked unlocked locked unlocked over and over. Should they come on everytime i unlock ? Or does it need to be cycled, like ignition on to reset before they will come on again etc ?

Yeah, i originally changed the value for leaving from 60 to 30, but also tried it back to 60 just to check.

As it is now, ive only ticked leaving, as coming didnt work anyway. But obviously had them both ticked the first time.
Light sensor is un checked still yeah.

Ill plug it back in tom and write them down to be sure.
I did follow the guide, which is why im a bit confused. I just been out to pick gf, unlocked car, and nothing came on.
Came home, locked it, just tried as i type this, and they came on. Is there a limit, or something ? As ealier i had locked unlocked locked unlocked over and over. Should they come on everytime i unlock ? Or does it need to be cycled, like ignition on to reset before they will come on again etc ?

When opening the car with the unlock button, for me, it will continually activate the lights, but when getting out the car and locking works just the once after turning engine off

When opening the car with the unlock button, for me, it will continually activate the lights, but when getting out the car and locking works just the once after turning engine off
Yes mine work just the same

Have you had any problems with the drivers door? As opening this also activates/disables the timer and turns lights on or off respectively. It may be thinking that the door has been opened?

I was trying the coming home with the door open mostly :ninja: Though i did try it once incase it mattered.

Not had any issues with the drivers door at all, with regards to locking, window etc.

I thought maybe i was upsetting it by locking / unlocking so much. And maybe thats why it worked after it had been kind if reset after a drive.

The led side will always flash on start up as the car checks the lights. Interested in this as I want ch lh on my 2005 it's starting to seem like its not a goer

Ive never noticed this before, though in all honesty, ive never looked.
But how does it know it had LED? As they should be normal 501 bulbs. I thought the test procedure it done was more based on resistance ? If resistance is out of spec, but is faulty, and error comes up.

Ive never noticed this before, though in all honesty, ive never looked.
But how does it know it had LED? As they should be normal 501 bulbs. I thought the test procedure it done was more based on resistance ? If resistance is out of spec, but is faulty, and error comes up.

I think it's because they need so little power.. Mine flash about 5 tomes on start up.. Looks coooool ;-)

That's cold diagnosis for you with led's :)

Yes mine work just the same

Have you had any problems with the drivers door? As opening this also activates/disables the timer and turns lights on or off respectively. It may be thinking that the door has been opened?

The only time my lights go off is when I open the door after unlocking it, or obviously the time elapses

Last edited:
Think I'm officially beaten.
I give up.

Ch will not work, not matter what I do. Lh will work sometimes.
If I unlock, and it doest work, if i keep locking and unlocking, eventually they come on.

Ho hum. So much for a simple mod :)

I've just Retro fitted the leaving / coming home lights mod.

Coded it all in, leaving home works fine, so I assume the wiring side is fine, as it's only one wire.

Coding wise, I followed the guide. Bytes 5 and 7 are checked, adaptation is set to 30 secs for both.

The guide suggests they should just by starting engine, then turning off and removing key?
So there's no minimum time of running before they will activate?

i've got an audi a3 tdi 2007 sportback - could the leaving lights be coded on this?

Thanks!

It worked for me on a 55, I'm sure after a certain year it's not so easy? Ill try find the thread I used

Does any one no if this product will work on a audi a3, automatic head light kit? TYPE THIS IN ON EBAY!!
(OEM VW Auto Automatic Headlight Sensor and Controller Golf Jetta Passat EOS
Watch)

audi do is part of vw group