EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    Reverse Gear

Status

New rear brake pads and steering wheel light's come on - Why?

Hi all

I got new rear brake pads fitted today and when I went to pick the car up I was told the ESP and steering wheel lights were showing on the dash. neither light was on when I dropped the car off and the guy told me it must be a dodgy steering angle sensor.

I didn't argue at the time, but having done a bit of reading it seems it's possible that either they've not pushed the piston back in and/or buggered one of the ABS sensors.

I now have no power steering!

Something else strange is that the brake bulb light was showing on the dash (telling me I needed a new brake light bulb) when I dropped the car off, but now the dash light's off and all brake lights work fine!

It seems way too much of a coincidence that the dash had no warning lights before the pads were replaced (other than the brake bulb light) and now I have the ESP and steering light on...arrrgghhh!

I'm not an expert mechanic, far from it, so if any of you have advice on this I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

Get t scanned with vcds, where you from?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Edinburgh.

The guy gave me two codes - 09F2 and 030A. I've googled them but no results. Not sure what scan he did, but find it hard to believe any garage would do a scan out the goodness of their heart for free.

1st Gear

Status
    Probably knackered the ABS sensor
    Take it back and tell them they need to fix it as the lights werent on when you took it in!!!
    A3 2.0TDI S LINE, Awesome remapped, ITG, Milltek, S3 Front + Rear bumpers + Sideskirts, Cruise and slammed on coilovers. NO SMOKE - NO POKE!!!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    That was my first thought, but he denied, which obviously he would. I don't understand why that would affect the steering wheel light though?
    I want to get an idea of of what could've caused the problem so I can back up my argument without him fobbing me off. Should never have taken it to a garage I'd never been to before I suppose.

5th Gear

Status

An I right in thinking the date and time will be on a vcds scan of when it first occurred? Wouldn't that show it happened In there hands?

1st Gear

Status
    iirc i think the ABS being faulty also affects the ESP which is why the steering wheel light would be on.
    A3 2.0TDI S LINE, Awesome remapped, ITG, Milltek, S3 Front + Rear bumpers + Sideskirts, Cruise and slammed on coilovers. NO SMOKE - NO POKE!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    as you previously said seems dodgy to do a scan for no reason??

Reverse Gear

Status
    The ABS sensor defo affects the ESP. The ESP light was on about a year ago and a new ABS sensor sorted it.

So do you reckon it's possible a rear ABS sensor could've been knocked/damaged which has set off the ESP light which in turn has also set off the steering wheel light? Could that then have knackered the power steering??

Is that possible or am I mental?!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yeah, sounds like the lights have come on and he thought "sh1t" then checked it out to see what the problem was but he's denying any responsibility.

I can go and speak to him about it now I have a bit more info, but keep it coming guys if anyone knows anything else that might help...

Reverse Gear

Status
    FYI - my battery had somehow gone flat when it was in the garage. That had mucked up a few ECU settings. The guy who did the brake pads told me to take it to a main dealer and he'd pay for it. So I did.

Audi did a diagnostic and recalibrated the steering angle sensor and it's all perfect again.

Happy days...eventually.