Chris NottMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RedDejavu

Thread: How much of a difference does the Stage 1 remap REALLY make?

Neutral

Status

How much of a difference does the Stage 1 remap REALLY make?

So I've had my S3 for a few weeks now, and got to be honest and say I've already got used to the power, and it doesn't feel particularly responsive to me. This could possible be due to me coming out of a BMW 135i which was twin turbo and had over 300bhp...

I was wondering if the Stage 1 remap really does make a significant difference?

Many Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    not significant at all... just fking huge
    Brodster likes this.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

2nd Gear

Status
    Really stage 1 is that good?

3rd Gear

Status
    It is better for sure, and certainly best value for money, you get a better fuel return as well when you are driving normally with traffic.

Also it may not feel as responsive, but remember AWD is a lot more smoother spreading the load around so you are actually accelerating far quicker that it may feel compared to a 2 wheel drive being pushed from the back

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonse View Post
    Really stage 1 is that good?
    Yes makes the car crispy to drive and louder too. Many times said that before that in standard form S3 is disappointing expecially if you used to high powered cars yet dull to drive and oversteers like mad:D.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by controlz View Post
    So I've had my S3 for a few weeks now, and got to be honest and say I've already got used to the power, and it doesn't feel particularly responsive to me. This could possible be due to me coming out of a BMW 135i which was twin turbo and had over 300bhp...

I was wondering if the Stage 1 remap really does make a significant difference?

Many Thanks.
    If I'm honest for approx £400-500 i think its well worth it your gonna be looking at around 300-310bhp and it does pull better throughout the gears, quite a bit more added torque too! I rate it but I'm looking for a bit more so Stage 2+ is next for me

All in all though i highly recommended it!
    Ibis White RS3 - Black Satin Wheels - Black Styling Package -

Bird is the Word!

Status

Re: How much of a difference does the Stage 1 remap REALLY make?

What he said

Massively recommended, really wakes the car up, beware though, modding is a progressively more slippery and expensive slope!
    S3 8P2 Ice Silver, RNS-E, Bluetooth, iPod connection, Adaptive xenons, black styling pack, sunroof, privacy glass
    Mods since owned: Milltek Resonated TBE, Neuspeed P-Flo, Loba HPFP, Sachs Clutch with Loba SMF, Unicorn Motor Developments custom remap, brakes + suspension upgrades, LEDs internal and external, more interior kit

Rarely neutral

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MB S3 View Post
    If I'm honest for approx £400-500 i think its well worth it your gonna be looking at around 300-310bhp and it does pull better throughout the gears, quite a bit more added torque too! I rate it but I'm looking for a bit more so Stage 2+ is next for me

All in all though i highly recommended it!
    This is absolutely right.

I've had all of the stages now,and they all make a very noticeable improvement,but the best value overall is Stg2+.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    This is absolutely right.

I've had all of the stages now,and they all make a very noticeable improvement,but the best value overall is Stg2+.
    I'm sure Alex will agree if you can travel/willing to travel for Remap's and any Future Mods AmDTuning in Essex is fantastic, great service and knowledge within the industry, i mean take a look at the work they have done to Alex's car its a special build!

I second what Alex and a lot of other members say... Stage 2+ seems to be the real marker for the car & perhaps the way it should of come out of the factory? I can't wait! (funds allowing) haha!

Don't wait any longer 'controlz' MAP IT lol!

5th Gear

Status
    265bhp s3 you will get 305-315bhp and it will feel amazing
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

Tay
    2nd Gear

Status

Stage 1 is the best £450 I have ever spent on a car! Such an improvement over the standard power delivery in my opinion.

Rarely neutral

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MB S3 View Post
    I'm sure Alex will agree if you can travel/willing to travel for Remap's and any Future Mods AmDTuning in Essex is fantastic, great service and knowledge within the industry, i mean take a look at the work they have done to Alex's car its a special build!

I second what Alex and a lot of other members say... Stage 2+ seems to be the real marker for the car & perhaps the way it should of come out of the factory? I can't wait! (funds allowing) haha!

Don't wait any longer 'controlz' MAP IT lol!
    I'd agree with all of this!

The work they've done for me is fantastic,and I couldn't recommend them highly enough for quality,and customer service.

This car really needs a bit more power,and responds to all of the remap stages very well indeed and it just needed Audi to give it that bit more from standard,but it leaves the market open for so much more to be done.

Do it and enjoy it.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Makes a big difference, feels like a different car.

Do it.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Neutral

Status
    I actually bought my S3 with a map on it. It was quite aggressive and was starting to cause clutch slip in higher gears at peak torque. As I had spent close to £2.5k in three months on suspension, steering rack, a fuel leak and service and have only had the car six months I asked AmD to put a stock map back on and help preserve my clutch. I actually think the car feels nicer. Yes it is slower but still quick enough for me. Pulls harder closer to the redline now whereas before it peaked between 3k and 4k like a diesel on steroids. Perhaps I had a crappy map and I know I am in the minority but for me I prefer the standard car. I guess the other thing to gain from my experience is dont get a cheap map and be wary of the standard clutch.

Rarely neutral

Status

Quote Originally Posted by mohsin1315 View Post
    I actually bought my S3 with a map on it. It was quite aggressive and was starting to cause clutch slip in higher gears at peak torque. As I had spent close to £2.5k in three months on suspension, steering rack, a fuel leak and service and have only had the car six months I asked AmD to put a stock map back on and help preserve my clutch. I actually think the car feels nicer. Yes it is slower but still quick enough for me. Pulls harder closer to the redline now whereas before it peaked between 3k and 4k like a diesel on steroids. Perhaps I had a crappy map and I know I am in the minority but for me I prefer the standard car. I guess the other thing to gain from my experience is dont get a cheap map and be wary of the standard clutch.
    I'd think that was the answer.

The map on mine is from Revo but I think that both Shark and APR maps will run as well from low to peak rpm without the problems you've described.

Neutral

Status
    Instead of vrooom it's now more like vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom..

Power is a lot smoother and a bit more responsive.. A hell of a lot quicker.
    Wife and I fight for the car now :D

2nd Gear

Status
    Guys I know this is i relevant to this thread but maybe somebody here may know the answer, I've got an A3 1.8 TFSI S Line, only 160 BHP... it was nice when bought it but i;ve had it for couple of months so far, it doesn't feel like a first day...

Was wondering if you guys rekon stage 1 remap, already looked around and Amd Tuning does it for about 500 quid, is it worth the money doing it as I'm also looking to go for non-res miltek exhuast as well?!?

I'm looking for a bit of better fuel economy and better power obviously...
    What do you guys rekon, who's better doing remap with... Amd Tuning seems quite a bit over pricy as to what I was expecting in mind... or is that usual price for remap...

Bear in mind that mine is a 2wd...

Cheers, any help appreciated

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by farzad View Post
    Guys I know this is i relevant to this thread but maybe somebody here may know the answer, I've got an A3 1.8 TFSI S Line, only 160 BHP... it was nice when bought it but i;ve had it for couple of months so far, it doesn't feel like a first day...Was wondering if you guys rekon stage 1 remap, already looked around and Amd Tuning does it for about 500 quid, is it worth the money doing it as I'm also looking to go for non-res miltek exhuast as well?!?I'm looking for a bit of better fuel economy and better power obviously...What do you guys rekon, who's better doing remap with... Amd Tuning seems quite a bit over pricy as to what I was expecting in mind... or is that usual price for remap...Bear in mind that mine is a 2wd...Cheers, any help appreciated
    To put it another way,you don't get quality cheaply,and often when a product looks too good to be true,it is just that....too good to be true.
    All of the major software suppliers,AMD included,put a lot of effort and investment into their products,and most will offer an upgrade path from the first stage,which is usually less costly than the initial remap,but the real point is that with AMD,Revo,APR,Shark etc,you're getting tried,tested and proven products.
    I've been with AMDTuning from the start with my own car,and I would happily recommend them to anyone.

4th Gear

Status
    The 1.8 TFSI is a lot more involving to map than the S3 for example, with a very very complicated ECU. It takes massive knowledge to be able to remap one of these. This ECU actually models the engine's and turbo's thermodynamic properties. Having the skill set to be able to adjust this properly is costly. My Physics degree comes in handy here, but i really didn't think I would be adjusting Isentropic efficiency maps when i first starting working with ECU's!

Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. View Post
    The 1.8 TFSI is a lot more involving to map than the S3 for example, with a very very complicated ECU. It takes massive knowledge to be able to remap one of these. This ECU actually models the engine's and turbo's thermodynamic properties. Having the skill set to be able to adjust this properly is costly. My Physics degree comes in handy here, but i really didn't think I would be adjusting Isentropic efficiency maps when i first starting working with ECU's!Rick
    Hi Rick....
    That's just what I was trying to say below,and you guys spend a lot of time,money and effort,in providing us end-users with a product that works,and doesn't adversely affect reliability,but it's easier to produce a cheap,poorly researched product,that may seem like a bargain at the time,and come back to bite you later.
    I'm happy to pay for a good,well developed product.

4th Gear

Status
    True mate, but a lot of people think it's a good way to make a fast buck. With the newer ECU's the complexity is helping to flush out the cowboys but they are still around, constantly changing their alias!

Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. View Post
    True mate, but a lot of people think it's a good way to make a fast buck. With the newer ECU's the complexity is helping to flush out the cowboys but they are still around, constantly changing their alias!Rick
    That's a real shame,as it gives the good guys a bad image,and makes your job even harder....all the best!

Neutral

Status
    Thanks so much for all of your input.

I'm based in North London so am not quite sure where the best tuner would be? I don't mind travelling, but it would be ideal if there was one relatively close! There are quite a few S3 tuners in the country from what I've read, but I'm guessing they are all pretty similar? (just the fine details that are different)

Also, AMD Essex quote the following gains, BHP increase : +40bhp Lb.ft gain : +52lb.ft , but I'm sure I've seen more from a Stage1 from other tuners (just can't remember which!)

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDejavu View Post
    Yes makes the car crispy to drive and louder too. Many times said that before that in standard form S3 is disappointing expecially if you used to high powered cars yet dull to drive and oversteers like mad:D.
    Yeah i see where your coming from. I used to have a 300bhp Fiesta. I was going to do stage 1 soon but think ill hold out till stage 2+

Neutral

Status
    AMD quote Stage 1 gains of +40bhp and +52lb/ft whilst Revo quote +54bp and +72 ft/lb. That is a CONSIDERABLE difference between the two tuners. Are they really that different, as if so it seems like a no brainer if so...

Rarely neutral

Status
    AMD quote Stage 1 gains of +40bhp and +52lb/ft whilst Revo quote +54bp and +72 ft/lb. That is a CONSIDERABLE difference between the two tuners. Are they really that different, as if so it seems like a no brainer if so...
    Don't get too sucked in by the claims.

Try each,and see how they feel on the road,and don't forget that even if the top end of that IS true,it amounts to around a 5% difference at the top end of the rpm scale.
    Also,the shape of the torque graph,and not only where peak torque is delivered,but over what sort of range,is far more important .....

I use Revo's software,so I'm saying that as someone who is not unduly biassed towards AMD's,and making the point that you do need to see how it drives.

S3

Status
    may sound a daft question but are you all talking about a custom code remap or is it just a standard map they use?

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeeey View Post
    may sound a daft question but are you all talking about a custom code remap or is it just a standard map they use?
    Both AMD and Revos maps are set up on the RR and the open road.

Neutral

Status
    Haha, curses! This damn thread is going to cost me money because I'm salivating at the prospect of a Stage 1 and pay-day is next week.

However, I will also have to wander over to the insurance sub-forum because I'm told that my current insurer (Privilege) isn't mod-friendly. Hopefully being an old git in my forties and with 10+ NCD, it won't be too costly! Money's tight these days...

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmo View Post
    Haha, curses! This damn thread is going to cost me money because I'm salivating at the prospect of a Stage 1 and pay-day is next week. However, I will also have to wander over to the insurance sub-forum because I'm told that my current insurer (Privilege) isn't mod-friendly. Hopefully being an old git in my forties and with 10+ NCD, it won't be too costly! Money's tight these days...
    There are plenty of companies who do specialise in modified cars,such as Greenlight and Sky......I'm with Greenlight and thanks to be an old git,they manage to cover me for around £600.

1st Gear

Status
    Speak to Ben @ AmD - He will explain regarding the 2 maps, i asked the question before deciding to choose the AmD route rather than REVO both are much of a muchness really & the only really difference is how it is delivered, REVO being more aggressive lower down then tailing off more rapidly whereas AMD's map is more linear in its approach with a consistent power throughout the rev range... it really all depends on what you want, they all end up with very similar power output's just ask Ben or Shaun they will answer all your queries. Oh & i believe at AmD Essex the AmD map is £100 cheaper to buy, well it was when i got mine mapped.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    There are plenty of companies who do specialise in modified cars,such as Greenlight and Sky......I'm with Greenlight and thanks to be an old git,they manage to cover me for around £600.
    I second this & have recently switched to Sky Insurance & rate their service & price, they are a Broker that source the best price for you based on your requirements & potential future & existing modifications. I'm insured with Groupama through Sky and they are very "Mod Friendly"