Chris NottAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TDI140

Thread: Was wondering if it's time for changing chain/belt and water pump or NOT? 99k Mileage

2nd Gear

Status

Was wondering if it's time for changing chain/belt and water pump or NOT? 99k Mileage

Hi guys, as the title says was just wondering if it's the right time to change the belt/chain and water pump or not...

Since bought the car (sometime before Xmas) the car hasn't given me any trouble, never let me down since then... and I always prefer to pay in front for servicing...

However my car has FSH, most of them with Audi, last one was inspection and oil change...
    But I don't think thw dealer bothered too much for what type of oil etc...

Since new the belt/chain and water pump hasn't been changed, so not sure if I should give it a more time or time for changing right before causes any damage...

Mileage 99k, it was 92k when bought, 7k miles with no prob at all, starts, drives nice and smooth, however bear in mind I don't do stupid high revs 5000+ rpm etc...

It's a 1.8 TFSI 160 BHP, (looking to remap it to 200 and get non-res miltek exhaust on too)

What do guys think ?
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Deffo needs to change the cambelt every 75k to be safe mate so your over due a change mate get it done asap before it snaps
    plus if your going to put more power through the engine then you must change it as 99k is a little high mate
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 225bhp 351ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch

Neutral

Status
    Get it changed chap! Cam belts life is about 60 to 70k. I've just bought a 2.0 tdi with full Audi service history its on 118k and never had a belt! Which is pretty slack on audis part! Obviously if it goes its pretty much bye bye engine! Haha im getting mine done tomorrow!!

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah mate that's what i tought...
    Cheers

2nd Gear

Status
    Coz it's a TFSI engine I believe it runs on chain as opposed to cambelt...

So does that still matters...?!? Thanks

5th Gear

Status
    If it is definatly chain driven then you just need to get the tensioners replaced amd tightened as chains can still jump cogs and screw up the engine, trust me i know my bmw 116i had that same problem chain jumbed 2 cogs and bent a valve i had to have full engine rebuild
    Aidy06 likes this.
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 225bhp 351ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch

4th Gear

Status
    5 years or 75k, which ever comes 1st.
    GET IT DONE!
    Now:
    TTS, Leon Cupra R, MK2 Golf GTi 16v BB 3dr & MK4 Golf "GTi" 2.0 8v

Past:
    S3 8P3
    A3 2.0T
    S3 8L REVO
    306 Rallye
    Impreza STi8
    Leon Cupra R REVO
    S3 8L REVO
    Impreza T2000
    306 Rallye
    MK3 Golf GTi 8v
    & more in between

5th Gear

Status
    As you have written waterpump make sure you have that done aswel as it normally starts leaking and causes problems after a new cambelt its only a few quid so get that done aswel, i would personally be scared to drive the car if the belt hasnt been changed

Neutral

Status
    It's a timing chain on the 1.8 TFSI engine not a cambelt. I know because I have this engine also and have had it checked myself. Usually you need to look at the chain at around ~100,000 miles.

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi guys, thanks for the replies...

Just asked AmD Tuning and it's something they offer to service, but they said it's waste of money as if I'm NOT currently having any problem with it then shouldn't be thinking of changing them...

What do you guys think, I'm more concerned about the water pump as they car has covered 99k with fsh, but haven't had the water pump changed yet and I've heard they usually cause problems...

So don't really want to risk it coz of £213 changing both chain and water pump!?!

What do you guys rekon?!? currently the car runs/drives fine and smooth, the only reason being want to avoid any risk... as 99k is quite a high mileage...

what other service should i consider if I was about to change water pump and chain, just to reduce the labour cost, so kind of doing lot major service...

Any help would be appreciated!
    Cheers

1st Gear

Status
    My S3 2.0 TFSi has just reached 60,000 seen threads like this where people recommend changing at 60k or 75k. But looking in the service manual it lists "Replacing toothed belt - 114,000 miles (180,000km)"

So is it wise to replace earlier?
    Last edited by MacrosTheBlack; 28th March 2013 at 14:03.
    Sold:Audi S3 (2008 8P2 with upgrades by NHN)
    Phantom Black
    , Bucket Seats, Sunroof, Parking Sensors, FBMFSW, Armrest Phone Prep, Privacy Glass, ILP, FTW, BOSE, RNSE MkII SDS & AMI, Cruise Control, MY11 Folding/Dimming Mirrors, MY11 Rear Lights, Auto Lights/Wipers