What's your views on all this HID fuss. Is it avoidable?

MrCharlesA3

Reaction score
Hello all,
still pretty new to the Audi scene as I've only owned my A3 for around 3 weeks.
however I have already become very familiar with the HID/wiper motor issue.
even still I am very curious to know how some have getting around the problem and managed to have them installed with no problems (as of yet)
but I'm pretty sick and tired of the old dated yellow stock headlights I have at the minute and really need an upgrade.
i want near enough the same light output but I'm after more of a modern blue/white tint.
i had HIDS installed on my last car which I couldn't complain about and would have them again but not to keen about all this wiper fuss although i do have a full two year warranty on all parts.

i wanted a mixed bag of views and recommendations and all would be appreciated.

cheers
Charlie

im going with 5000k bulbs and rest to match... had hids and dont get me wrong they look good.. just cant afford it if things go wrong.

Reactions: aky20, Cozza McA, Ryan1985 and 1 other person
Get to Halfrouds and buy their super extreme hyper brilliance with added oomph doopa bulbs (in the black boxes) they are awesome, very crisp white light (as good as they will get to date), completely legal, you wont be blinding us other drivers with lights/lenses that cannot cope with the extra lumen.

:banghead:

Sorry to come across blunt, but use the search. This topic has been covered umpteen billion times.

As already stated, there are halogen bulbs available (Philips Xtreme range, Osram Nightbreakers etc) that have a whiter/brighter light output without compromising other road users safety.

Get to Halfrouds and buy their super extreme hyper brilliance with added oomph doopa bulbs (in the black boxes) they are awesome, very crisp white light (as good as they will get to date), completely legal, you wont be blinding us other drivers with lights/lenses that cannot cope with the extra lumen.

Im running these too, best halogen bulbs ive ever used. They dont match my leds for poop but the light output is great, especially over distance

If like me you decide the OEM Xenons cost too much to justify, you maybe interested in these; Audi 55w Xenon Upgrade (Dipped / Side) HeadLamp Light Bulbs WHITE | eBay

I saw them recommended on here and couldn't be happier. I think they're just about the whitest light you could hope to get from halogens and are very cheap too (compared to Osrams and Philips). Get yourself two sets for dipped and full beams.... Then contact T8ups and get yourself some LED side lights, LED rear plate lights and ultra white halogen fogs and you're laughing!

Then once that's done, replace all your interior lights with LEDs and the transformation is complete. Well worth the money :icon_thumright:

If your really serious about hid then a company called 'well done' can supply an aftermarket or oem ballast and bulbs for around £150...yes its big bucks but they guarantee u wont blow ur wiper motor

I just fitted Philips Diamond Vision in my A4

Very pleased, they are the closest to HID I have seen from a halogen

I think, to summarize every discussion ever on here about HIDs/Xenons (with a sprinkling of my opinions)..
How much do you have to spend?

<£300Philips Diamond Vision / Osram Nightbreakers
~ £300 - £1300Aftermarket HIDs plus (OEM?) projector lenses (be prepared to spend out an extra £300 for a new wiper motor when it blows).

I would highly recommend having projector lenses fitted with HIDs (legality and for the benefit of other road users)
~ £1300 +OEM Bixenon retrofit (dipped and main beam).
The most expensive option, but worth every penny in my opinion.

The risk of going with non OEM HIDs kits is that the wiper motor and the headlights are both earthed on a spider earth, when you first turn the hid kit on the initial spike of power back feeds through the earth system. Ultimately causing the wiper motor to blow.

You can avoid this using some extra wiring and resistors (had this set up in my car from the previous owner). However, I would still not recommended this due to the light scatter if you do not have projector lenses..

Even though I had Bi-Xenons I changed my fogs to Philips Diamond Vision. Had some imported but they were ****** expensive at the time.

I don't drive around with them on though. It was only because I hated the yellow everytime I locked/unlocked the car!

They look incredible. A nice crisp white that match my DRLs perfectly!

I think, to summarize every discussion ever on here about HIDs/Xenons (with a sprinkling of my opinions)..
How much do you have to spend?

<£300Philips Diamond Vision / Osram Nightbreakers
~ £300 - £1300Aftermarket HIDs plus (OEM?) projector lenses (be prepared to spend out an extra £300 for a new wiper motor when it blows).

I would highly recommend having projector lenses fitted with HIDs (legality and for the benefit of other road users)
~ £1300 +OEM Bixenon retrofit (dipped and main beam).
The most expensive option, but worth every penny in my opinion.

The risk of going with non OEM HIDs kits is that the wiper motor and the headlights are both earthed on a spider earth, when you first turn the hid kit on the initial spike of power back feeds through the earth system. Ultimately causing the wiper motor to blow.

You can avoid this using some extra wiring and resistors (had this set up in my car from the previous owner). However, I would still not recommended this due to the light scatter if you do not have projector lenses..

£1300 for bi-xenons? really? mate i will fit for half that price! lol

£1300 for bi-xenons? really? mate i will fit for half that price! lol

I was talking about a complete upgrade to bi-xenons (inclusive of work, new bumper/washers, leveling system, etc?).
Of course that can be broken down into stages :)

Last edited: