OIL - 2012 S3

batch

Reaction score
Afternoon guys,

I've recently purchased 4L of oil for my car, a 2012 S3. As expected, my car uses a little bit of oil and needs a splash every few weeks to keep the levels up.

The car came with CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL 5W30 LONGLIFE, I managed to pick up a good deal on some on Amazon, however I've just compared the bottles when checking the oil and I've actually bought the normal CASTROL EDGE 5W30.

The question I have: Is there any real difference between these two? Yes of course there is but anything that might damage the engine? And if so, anyone need 3.5L of Castrol Edge for 25 quid?!

Any 5w/30 fully synthetic oil which meets 504/507 specification.

Thank you gents! Nigel NHN - Hope all is well down in leafy Sussex?

mjr901 - How's the car?

Thank you gents! Nigel NHN - Hope all is well down in leafy Sussex?

mjr901 - How's the car?

Ne'bad thanks, seems to be heavy on fuel, rough average of 22mpg. Bought a MG ZT diesel to go to work in now (well picking it up tomorrow).
I've had the S3 just over a year now, I'm on 19.5k. that's about 4k in fuel alone, + the 4x4 drinks it.

So sold 4x4 for MG :) not to everyone's taste, but I like'em, as long as the spec is right :)

so really I'm on an economy drive at the moment!

+ the fact that every road I see to travel on (somewhat slightly faster than most) has random speed vans waiting for me!

As for the forge bits, the intercooler works well, 22bhp that it gave me is very noticeable.

The DV system is also still working well, it's pretty noisy, but drive towards a bus stop with most looking the other way and make it release excess air and its guarenteed they'll all turn there heads wondering what the hell the wooooosh about, which makes me chuckle.

Or the pavement ones are awesome too, have made people step right back as its scared them as I've gone by!

Hows your car going?

Hello mate! Absolutely no change on mine, it's still totally standard bar pressed plates, I am getting it detailed again soon for the summer and hoping this time I can keep on top of it as over the winter it's become swirlmark central!

Will be getting a Stage 1 map as soon as I can afford it - there's always been something more pressing to spend 500 quid on! - and perhaps a CAI. I fancy new wheels too but my priorities have changed and I can't justify making a brand new car on a contract plan into a project!