Rusted part? Please help!

Fanboy

An Audi Fanboy
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Not an expert on wheels/tyres/disk breaks and would like someone to help me with this please :)

Today I realised this rusted part, not sure what's called however was wondering if they require to be changed/replaced to avoid further damages... or if it would cause any damage?!?!

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated :)

There are all the same condition for all 4x wheels...
Just bought the car about 5 months ago before Xmas and now time for little mods to take place, I prefer to go for essentials first...
Thanks

By the way it's a A3 S Line TFSI, Reg 57

rusted1.png

rusted2.png

Wow check the disks as well farzad they look in a sorry state :(

Wow check the disks as well farzad they look in a sorry state :(

Yep man, I was pretty much disappointed when spotted in morning, and now desperately want it fixed before causing any damage!?!

How much do you rekon it would cost...

Thanks

Luckily was looking to buy H&R 20mm spacers and just wanted to double check the sizes, then spotted these rusted bits...
Maybe need to leave them for time being to get this fix first...

Also looking to lower down the car by 20mm, may do the lot job once to save some labour cost...

Get a quote from your local audi garage ,then shop around!

Get a quote from your local audi garage ,then shop around!

Thanks mate, yep I will, hopefully get it sorted soon, but just wondering what shall I get quote for?!?

Is it the disk brakes only!?! Not sure what the other bit is? The one right behind the disk brake, been looking around but couldn't find out!!!

Will get it done with AMD in Harrow, also might get the belt and water pump sorted too, 99k on the clock and not been changed yet, even though it has FSH...

Thanks mate :)

There dust shields ,wow get that done could have sold u one cheap as i sold my s3 good luck :)

I wish i could help more with the part number ! :(

The orange-ness on the disc face is more than likely just surface rust from rain water etc. Take it for a drive and give the brakes some abuse and see what they look like then.

Also grab the edge of the disc between your finger and thumb and feel if there is a lip. If there is then they need measuring to see if they are below the minimum limit.

I see brake discs far worse than that all time when I'm MOT'ing cars.

The brake backing plate is nothing to worry about, it's just a ****-shield, if you are unhappy with how it looks then by all means give it a wire brush off and paint it.

The big round part, is the brake disc. The rust is surface rust. Im guessing it rained last night, or before the pic was taken. Or the car was washed.
It will come off when driven.
Go to any dealer, all cars in the lot have it, as some are not moved for weeks.

The smaller round section, between the wheel and disc, is still part of the disc, but this never gets cleaned by braking. So this again, is pretty normal. Discs are made of steel, steel corrodes.
You can wire brush them and paint them black or silver, but they will corrode again eventually.

The larger part, behind the disc, is the stone guard. Its just there to stop stuff hitting the disc really. Again, the edge corroding is normal. You can paint them, but will happen again at some point.

All of stuff shown is perfectly normal, unsightly, but not un common.
There is no 'fault' what so ever. No harm is going to come of anything shown. The very worst that could possibly happen, is the surface rust gets worse (but normal braking clears it off, so no reason it would) and you will get noisey brake, and if really bad, they will be less efficent.
I wouldnt replace any of it, but you could spend a day painting it all. Which will make them look like new again, and should last a year or 2 minimum.

Looking at the pic, they are rear discs, which do less braking anyway. And dont look very worn at all. Though hard to see properly. To measure them, you would need a micrometer, and also to remove the caliper / pads usually to get onto the disc. There will be a measurement stamped on the disc, saying min thick 8.2mm or something similar.

Everything here is purely cosmetic. And for the sake of your wallet, id not replace. If it really bothers you. Paint them.

To me... it just looks like it needs some paint. Mine was like yours until I used some hammerite black paint. Anti rust !

img2854p.jpg

img2855y.jpg

End result .......

nowt wrong with it unless there is a lip on disc edge just prep and paint dust guards and callipers one corner at a time a sunday job no probs mate i done mine in the same red as the car two coats of white primer three coats of red

Attachments

• 20121118_120737.jpg
    20121118_120737.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 144
The back plates look naff if you just paint them.
New ones are less than £10 each and 1 hrs work will see them both fitted.
Held on by 3 torq bolts(also buy these new as it saves a whole heap of hassle when re-fitting)
Mine looked not too bad round the edge but were rotten behind the disc where the mounting screws were.

As for the discs, its up to you but again black paint looks naff.
Silver heat resistant spray paint or new ones if your OCD (which you're obviously not or it would have been done months ago lol)

WOW, so many in-detail replies, really appreciate your helps guys...

I'll give it a go as you guys adviced, thanks a lot again guys :)

Cheers

Yeah as said, I wouldn't worry to much, my brakes are like that often with this weather, dust shield isn't to bad tbh & wont cause any issues, swap it when you swap the discs/pads at anytime.