car keeps loosing power

meaks

Reaction score
hi. im new to the forum. ive got a 2005 a3 2.0tdi dsg. i have a problem that ony happens when ive been on a drive abot 70mph when i stop and try to pull off again it looses power to about 45mph max. if i turn the engine off then back on its fine again. there are no lights on the dash but ive had it plugged in at my local garage and was told the fault code is p0234. but they hadnt got the time to look at the car for a week or so. has anyone else had this problem.?. any help please.. thanks..

Assuming its a 140 you have overboost conditions

Countless threads like this. Either change turbo or clean it.

I tryed to clean mine with little or no success.

I ended up changing the turbo for £450 mine is a Quattro so a lot more pre work involved.

You will be told by people on here to upgrade to hybrid but this will be more expensive if your trying to keep costs down there are plenty turbos knocking around look on eBay. There are used refurbed and new ones.

Garret dont make cores for these turbos so reconditioned ones may be done with cheap parts but a used one will as good as any if you take it apart and clean it. ( this can take an hour at the most) and the cheapest I could find a new one for was from darkside developments

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/garrett-gt1749v-bkd-pd140-2-0-tdi-turbocharger.html

Good luck mate

Ment to put this at the top

The over boost is caused by the vanes being stuck and the turbo making full
Boost all the time.

had this with my car mate bkd 140 tdi s line , had the turbo reconditioned and spot on sinse if your car has a few miles i wouldnt even think about cleaning just refurb it , hope this helps mate

cheers. sounds like it will cost a bit to get fixed..

Never understood why the dash doesn't even indicate that the car has gone into limp mode when this happens. When it happened to me in my 140 Golf mk5, I had no idea at all and thought it was the onset of something serious.

( this can take an hour at the most)

& the rest, to do it properly, meaning stripping all the vnt parts out, not just split in half & clean what you can see, but literally everything, then clean fully & reassemble/test mechanisms & check for any shaft play, it takes a number of hours, done one today as it happens.

& the rest, to do it properly, meaning stripping all the vnt parts out, not just split in half & clean what you can see, but literally everything, then clean fully & reassemble/test mechanisms & check for any shaft play, it takes a number of hours, done one today as it happens.

I don't have access to the equipment to test them so didn't go too in depth but all the vanes and ring that moves them all out and cleaned within an hour.

But like everyone says you can never beat a professional or brand new......

I had a recon turbo fitted just before Xmas now I'm getting this overboost fault, really not impressed, gonna call garage in the morning. This should not happen within 2 and a half months, and it wasn't driven for a month of that as it was in for a new bumper and wings!

Recon, that sounds unlikely it was even cleaned if its 2 months & back to square one or you're putting out vast amounts of crap out the back.

If you get stuck, I have a fully working 100% cleaned bkd turbo for sale, PM for more info.

I've got no smoke at all from exhaust, its under a warranty so I'm gonna call tomorrow and say a few choice words, could loose pipes cause overboost? Because I tend to hear a whistle as the turbo boosts then a DV sounding noise which I never heard when it was first replaced