Can you run different width (225 & 235) tyres on an A3 Quattro?

MG

Reaction score
I'm running 19" 8.5J Alloys with 225/35 tyres all round on my A3 2.0T Quattro so there's a bit of stretch. However, I got a bad puncture the other day and need to replace two of the tyres. I wanted to take the opportunity of fitting a pair of 235/35s as I'm positive they'll fit (and will offer the rims more protection) but the garage has advised all four tyres need to be same size.

I don't want to replace all of the tyres as two of them have loads of tread left. I can understand you not having different size profile tyres as I guess you could potentially have the front and rears rotating at slightly different speeds but I'm unclear how having a 10mm wider set of rear tyres would adversley affect the car.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thankss

It's the rolling diameter which would change.

Your width is now 225mm with a 35% profile which is calculated by 35% of the width.
The new one is 35% of 235mm.

So your difference in rolling diameter is 3.5mm.

Not a massive amount, having tyres with more tread on the rear is similar.

OK, thanks I appreciate your reply. So given the Haldex system is not like a full 4x4, would you say this is an acceptable difference or is it likely to cause problems? Ultimately I would like to change all tyres to 235/35/19s but at the moment two of the tyres have a good 5mm on so, so my preference would be to not just throw them away.

I can assure you it will be fine, the RS3 runs 235/35 (or 255/30) front and 225/35 rear. Cars are not that sensitive to a slight tyre size change - I suspect the garage would just like the profit of 4 tyres rather than two. I'm assuming you do mean running a front or rear pair not opposite side!

Excellent, cheers for your help. A pair of 235/35s it is then!

A difference in tyre pressure might give you that much difference in circumference so I can't imagine it would cause any issues!

By the sound of the replies you've got, this type of thing is okay on Haldex, but just in case an A4 (or above) owner picks up on this thread, I assure you it is NOT okay for Torsen differentials: 3.5mm difference plus 3mm in tread difference would massively overwork the rear diff and cost a grand or two for the sake of two new tyres.

Check in your log book or with your local Audi dealer if in any doubt.