S3 Turbo Flutter - should i be worried??

S3-Iain

Reaction score
Im just looking for some advice as the turbo on my 2007 S3 has started fluttering when i let off the accelerator or change gear.

Up until today it used to have a hiss like a small dump valve when letting off or changing gear.

Ive removed the valve at the front of the engine bay to check the diaphram isnt ripped and thats absoluterly fine.

Ive not long had the car so it still has warranty on it but that means taking the car 68miles back to where i bought it from.

Any advice would be great!! thanks! :)

Hi there this is normal i used to love the sound! Its just the turbo spinning up and air release :)

Yeah but I've had it a month now and it didn't do this up until yesterday
Unmapped,my car didn't make any noises like that.
If,as you say,it's something new,and under warranty,I'd take it back just for peace of mind if nothing else.

68 miles is only an hour away, cant see why that's an issue fella, peace of mind & all :)

Unless I find out its sumthing major it's not worth taking the day off work and the fuel to get there and back. If it was sumthing like the divertor valve I would of just bought a forge re-circ for it. If its just sumthing I could upgrade I'm not bothered. I would rather do that

Yep, that flutter noise. It never used to do it and I know every1 is going to say its normal and I would agree if it had always done it or it was a tuned car, it's completely standard though. It used to have a little hiss when changing gear like my girlfriends TFSI seat leon does.

That is the noise of off-boost compressor surge. It shouldn't be there on a standard car.

(It really shouldn't be there on a mapped car, but due to the limitations of the K04, and how much power/boost tuners are trying to squeeze out of it, some off-boost compressor surge is inevitable, but that's a story for another day !!!)

Simplistically, when the throttle plate is snapped shut during gear changes, all the turbo boost needs somewhere to go. This is dealt with by the N249 Diverter Valve opening, so in a standard car, you will not get any chirping/flutter noise.

Something in the N249 Diverter Valve, or circuitry, is amiss. You need to get it checked out.

PS If you want to drive down as far as Nantwich, I'll happily scan your car for fault codes.

I had that valve off yesterday and the diaphragm is fine. I cleaned the seal up and re-fitted it all and it was ok for a about 2minutes an then started doing it again. Think I might just buy a forge re-circ kit

Hi mate just get the revised d value ,i had a slight flutter with changing gear on my standard s3 8p3 , before i went to stage2+ and id say its normal as i had no issues with the car ,but i did change the g diverter value to a d value ...

Last edited:
Hi mate just get the revised d value ,i had a slight flutter with changing gear on my standard s3 8p3 , before i went to stage2+ and id say its normal as i had no issues with the car ,but i did change the g diverter value to a d value ...

Sorry to hijack slightly.
I picked up a 57 plate S3 last weekend. I'm looking into stage 2+ and see people say to get the revised D valve.
I presume I don't have a revised one as I'm pre-facelift?
is it definitely required when tuning to that level?

on my previous Corsa the recirc valve was failsafe closed from the solenoid.
I had replaced my recirc valve for one not split yet it still did it.
The "chatter" wouldn't go away until the code was cleared. I have no idea if this is a possibility with the VAG range. This is my first ever VAG.

Hi there ,best to check it as it may have one fitted by previous owner ,but if not id defo get it ,and sell the g value over on mk5gti as they seen to like them....no codes will show on dis,so no need to clear..;)

That is the noise of off-boost compressor surge. It shouldn't be there on a standard car.

(It really shouldn't be there on a mapped car, but due to the limitations of the K04, and how much power/boost tuners are trying to squeeze out of it, some off-boost compressor surge is inevitable, but that's a story for another day !!!)

Simplistically, when the throttle plate is snapped shut during gear changes, all the turbo boost needs somewhere to go. This is dealt with by the N249 Diverter Valve opening, so in a standard car, you will not get any chirping/flutter noise.

Something in the N249 Diverter Valve, or circuitry, is amiss. You need to get it checked out.

PS If you want to drive down as far as Nantwich, I'll happily scan your car for fault codes.

Would you just code read or could you read all the figures with vagcom? I got a snap on code reader in work so I could code read but I don't think there is any

Hi mate get the d value and see if its still there as its best to change it anyway ...part number on the box...
4b6aa8b6b24b6638275b945734da705f.jpg

Hi mate the turbo is connected to the airbox..

Yeah I know that, what I'm trying to say if the diverter valve is fine, I'm starting to think maybe a vacuum pipe has come off or split

Check the pipe that connects to the turbo...!id still change the dv and see if the noise is still there!

If its a 2.0 tfsi them could well have ,give it a try ;)

I had a flutter on my 2.0tdi for ages, when I got my engine re-built, it went and now just hisses, so to me the hiss isnt normal lol