Remove Headlight knob/switch

JRock247

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have searched ans searched for a guide or advice on removing the knob/switch from the headlight switch cluster in my car but no luck!

I am trying to remove the headlight knob/switch from a 2009 Audi A3 to install it in my 2006 Audi A3 (I like silver shiny things). I have removed the back of the headlight cluster but cannot for life of me get the knob/switch out of the cluster.

Below images in the front of the light switch. I am trying to remove the actual silver switch.
Photo

Below image is the back of the light switch after I removed the plastic cover.
Photo

Anyone tried this before or knows how to remove the silver switch?

Thanks

I have & you have to pull really, really hard on the front piece or from rear get a similar tool like a dentists angled point metal piece, to try & push the locating/locking lugs aside to allow it to pull of easier, its not an easy task at all, real pita.

This thing is a ****** nightmare to get out!

I have tried just pulling the front off but no joy. I happen to have some dentist tools at work I am using, they are like a small flat head screwdriver but with a small lip on the end. I am trying to push in the white spring loaded lugs to pull the switch out but it is a fiddly little job and won't ****** budge!

Am I attacking the correct lugs (red circle)?

Photo

The plastic bits I have circled (green) almost look like they can slide up and be removed but I have tried grabbing them with a pair of pliers but can't get them to slide out. They are almost like the stalks on the steering wheel, when I upgraded to CC, I had to slide out the headlight stalk, which looked very similar to this (green circles)

I will continue to pursue as I really want this on my car!

Tool I am using.
Photo

Just to update anyone reading this thread.

The best way by far is to just pull like hell on the switch and pop it out, IT WILL COME OFF but is very hard. The actual switch clips into the white bit in the above images. So pulling it, just un-clips it from the white bit.

Nothing was broken doing it this way, just feels like something will :)

Any problems guys, give me a shout and I will help were I can.