Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    278

    Help identifying LEDs

    Sorry, it appears I'm a complete idiot. I've bought a host of bulbs of Trups (who's on holidays for a few weeks, which is why I'm asking you guys for help instead) for both the interior and exterior of my car. I think I've worked out which bulbs are which, but I'm just after some confirmation on a few of them (especially the festoon type bulbs). I don't have the car for a few days, so can't go take a look myself

    A - LED Sidelights?




    B - Glove Box light?




    C - Rear number plate light (x2) and front interior roof light (x2)?




    D - Sun visor vanity light (x2) and rear interior roof light (x2)?





    Thanks very much

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,716
    Glovebox light, cut end of & solder wires to the metal contacts, if you have door lights as well for back of & underneath, cut & solder these as well, much better.

    Also put some a strip of black electrical tape over the back of the pcb for these ones so when pushed into the plastic housing, it doesn't short on the metal contacts should they become loose & also helps them to stay tight fitting.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    278
    Good tip regards the electrical tape, thanks


    I also have a boot light which is similar in style to the glove box light, (it was labelled 'boot' so even an idiot like myself could identify it ).... I presume I should solder this directly to the metal contacts, too?

  5. #4
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,648
    There should be no soldering required with trups kits unless he told you directly to do so.

    All the bulbs you have posted in the pics looks like they should be simple plug and play.
    Not sure why you would need to solder any of them.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

    Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

  6. #5
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,716
    I advise this because the contacts are not the best to fit, done several cars now & the best way to get the best conductivity & not be shook loose from the terrible roads is to cut ends of & solder, tried/tested & Trups & me have discussed this, to which he is looking at to revise a bit, as per my advisory for the tape & contacts, whether he does or not is his decision, but cars I've done will not come loose.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  7. #6
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,648
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    I advise this because the contacts are not the best to fit, done several cars now & the best way to get the best conductivity & not be shook loose from the terrible roads is to cut ends of & solder, tried/tested & Trups & me have discussed this, to which he is looking at to revise a bit, as per my advisory for the tape & contacts, whether he does or not is his decision, but cars I've done will not come loose.

    That makes sense.
    The single pin design of the 501 is a poo. I've used bladed designs before and they work a lot better, no change of them moving or falling out.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

    Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

  8. #7
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    278
    Thanks both. I don't trust myself not to f*ck something up if I'm let loose with a soldering iron, so I think I'll try plug and play first and see how it goes

    Out of interest though, I seem to remember LED circuits are polarity sensitive? If so, are the cars contacts labelled positive and negative so I know which way to wire it?

  9. #8
    Danny-boy's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    477

    Help identifying LEDs

    Quote Originally Posted by SCFC_Messiah View Post
    Thanks both. I don't trust myself not to f*ck something up if I'm let loose with a soldering iron, so I think I'll try plug and play first and see how it goes

    Out of interest though, I seem to remember LED circuits are polarity sensitive? If so, are the cars contacts labelled positive and negative so I know which way to wire it?
    Try it first!!!! If it doesn't work, turn it round.

  10. #9
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,716
    Quote Originally Posted by SCFC_Messiah View Post
    I also have a boot light which is similar in style to the glove box light, (it was labelled 'boot' so even an idiot like myself could identify it ).... I presume I should solder this directly to the metal contacts, too?
    Any of the lights that have the small rectangular pcb is my advice to do as I suggested, they have the same connector/fixing, tested on multiple cars & they just were not fixed as tight as I need it to be, remember I don't need comebacks for work I should of done 100% in the 1st place, my motto is usually do it once...................

    Fitted to an RS3 as well as my own & have to say it was a hell of allot better following this route, the connectors just don't get conductivity, the thin pin like contacts even on bulbs are awful & imho a nice pothole could shake them loose.

    Personally the bulbs are great, Trups has invested fair bit of time in these, you can see that & with all things sometimes some mods are needed for perfection, he got my business along with others who ask me for them

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny-boy View Post
    Try it first!!!! If it doesn't work, turn it round.
    Ah, that simple eh?... I had a mental picture of my car exploding if I wired them up the wrong way

  12. #11
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Any of the lights that have the small rectangular pcb is my advice to do as I suggested, they have the same connector/fixing, tested on multiple cars & they just were not fixed as tight as I need it to be, remember I don't need comebacks for work I should of done 100% in the 1st place, my motto is usually do it once...................

    Fitted to an RS3 as well as my own & have to say it was a hell of allot better following this route, the connectors just don't get conductivity, the thin pin like contacts even on bulbs are awful & imho a nice pothole could shake them loose.

    Personally the bulbs are great, Trups has invested fair bit of time in these, you can see that & with all things sometimes some mods are needed for perfection, he got my business along with others who ask me for them
    Ok NHN, I'll bow to your experience and solder them in

    Once again, thanks all

  13. #12
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,289

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    A - LED Sidelights? Yes




    B - Glove Box light? Yes




    C - Rear number plate light (x2) and front interior roof light (x2)? No! These are for the interior dome lights front
    And rear




    D - Sun visor vanity light (x2) and rear interior roof light (x2)? No these are Vanity mirror lights and the number plate light
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

    Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread


  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    34
    Sorry to hijack your thread.....But are these LED's a straight swap with no re-flashing the ECU ? Ive seen threads where people are saying theyve had electrical problems after fitting LED's & they also have to be flashed in with VAG.COM? (not a problem if it is, as my mate at work can do it for me)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Couple of problems need help identifying
    By a3 quattr0 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 9th May 2010, 05:16
  2. Can you help identify these wheels please?
    By impster in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30th July 2009, 11:32
  3. please help identify what the connectrors are on my steering wheel
    By sherry in forum A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th April 2009, 18:11
  4. Need help identifying
    By C4SLK in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22nd December 2008, 07:41
  5. Help identifying a part please.
    By FrankScorpio in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th February 2007, 20:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO