Oil consumption

Amchlolor

Reaction score
That's me at 7810 miles and that's the second time the oil warning light has been on.
So that's 3 litres+ it's used.
Honestly,what a joke car.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I should be wearing big shoes and a flower that shoots water to drive it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

AUDI DRIVING MANUAL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Locate size 18 red shoes....

[ QUOTE ]
RTFM

[/ QUOTE ]

You going to tell me the manual says 3 litres+ is normal ?

Hmmmm.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Audi will tell you anything up to 1 litre/1000 miles is normal. but mind you my dealer would tell you 3 wheels is normal if one fell off..................

yup, since the days of the VAG 16V engines, this has been a common complaint.

I used 1 1/2 litres in 15k miles.

Bowfer,

If you baby it early on, then the piston seals will take longer to seal fully. Also this may explain low mpg as well !.

I got through 2 ltrs to 18K since then not needed to add a drop

Done 7.5k - used about 1 litre - have let it run quite low - but oil light has never been on. Certainly nothing like 3 litres bowfer. Definitely uses less than my B6 A4 did...

These people with high consumption did you all gun your engines from the word go? All my Vag engines have used a small amount of oil but always less than a litre every 20K

I've got 13K on my 2.0Tdi and have used about 0.5l

J.

Yup, mine was hammered from day one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I neither nursed nor trashed my engine from new.
I just drove it normally.

I'm just glad I don't pay for the oil,as I believe it's expensive.

At the same time,I do have to justify all these bills for oil coming in on a new car.

Keep checking my 3.2 engine oil and it hasnt dropped at all since I bought it last March. Amaxing really... any one else got comments on the 3.2?

[ QUOTE ]
Keep checking my 3.2 engine oil and it hasnt dropped at all since I bought it last March. Amaxing really... any one else got comments on the 3.2?

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldn't be classed as amazing though,should it.
It should be normal.
I don't think heavy oil consumption is acceptable in a new car,especially when it's 'fancy' oil that costs a bomb.
I've had umpteen cars that never use a drop from service to service.
My wife's car has gone from 8000 miles to 17000 miles without using any.

It's all very well Audi saying it'll 'settle down' but when exactly ?
At what point do they decide 'normal' becomes 'unacceptable' ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

AKAIK a modern petrol engine should use no oil to speak of between services. My 2.0T didn't lose a drop before the 1st service (18600mls). Whereas Diesels are designed to burn an amount of oil in normal use to aid with piston lubrication. This will vary with engine tolerance and driving style etc.

Definitely the biggest factor is excess throttle before the engine is warm. i.e no more than a very light throttle and mininal revs for at least 10 minutes of running. As well as loosing oil via cold piston seals you'll wear the engine quicker thus exaserbating(?) the problem permanently.

I suppose Audi would quote their worst figure. (A diesel vectra I once borrowed quoted 1L every 1000 miles!)

0.5 litre in 11000 miles, so i guess my car is better than yours Bowfer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4.5 litres in 18,000 miles, the reason they burn oil (must be burning it there's no drips on the floor) is they use fully all singing all dancing synthetic oil from day one to save on the "free" first service, this slows down the running in procedure, some years back Porsche sent out a service bulletin that mobil 1 must NOT be used untill 6000 miles as it stopped the bedding in process.

I've used about 2.5 litres so far... just under 9k. And for the record I have neither thrashed or drove it like a granny. I find the more sitting in traffic you do the more you use!

God dam traffic jams!

[ QUOTE ]
4.5 litres in 18,000 miles, the reason they burn oil (must be burning it there's no drips on the floor) is they use fully all singing all dancing synthetic oil from day one to save on the "free" first service

[/ QUOTE ]

What "free" 1st Service?? missed that one.

Long life oils aren't high performance, just Long Life. i.e. extended hot/cold cycles before they start to break down. The specs for 'hi performance' are different.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4.5 litres in 18,000 miles, the reason they burn oil (must be burning it there's no drips on the floor) is they use fully all singing all dancing synthetic oil from day one to save on the "free" first service

[/ QUOTE ]

What "free" 1st Service?? missed that one.

Long life oils aren't high performance, just Long Life. i.e. extended hot/cold cycles before they start to break down. The specs for 'hi performance' are different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said "to save" on the free first service i.e. they no longer perform the free service, instead they supply the car with fully synthetic instead of normal type oil which would aid the bedding in process not hinder it as fully synthetic does

I must have used between 3 or 4 litres of oil and I have just over 40,000km on my clock. Mostly motorway driving. 200km each day.

I used 1.5 litres in 20k miles so far. Oil was changed at the 1st AVS service at 18.5k.

Which oil is everyone using. Mine came with 1 litre of Castrol SLXII and I've continued to use the same oil.

Mine also came with SLX, then they serviced it and put Shell Helix in? what am I supposed to do with the £35 worth of 3 remaining litres of SLX I asked??

Interestingly in today's Auto Express are details of a new oil by Castrol called Castrol Edge which replaces Castrol SLX Longlife II. According to Castrol, it has been three years in development and has been formulated to work at a steady temperature even in extreme the conditions created by today's engines, which run hotter than ever.

The new oil is available in seven variants - including two refined for the latest performance turbodiesels. These have greater soot-cleaning properties and, claims Castrol, will help preserve your oil-burner's exhaust filter.

The oil is available in 1 litre top-up bottles and 4 litre cans on BP forecourts or in Halfords. The price is quoted as £39.99 for the 4 litre can.

One can only laugh at the term 'longlife' when,at 3 litres in 7500 miles,it's hardly in the engine for any time at all.

But in my case it was 1.5 litres in 18.5k - better the the old oil change every 10k. It must be all the high revs you say you use when your DSG keeps changing up!

Bit of a contradiction there David,as the consensus seems to be that engines that are treated gently use more oil.
So my style of driving (trying to kill the gearbox and the car) should mean I use less.

Not in my case. I treated mine gently for the first 500 or so miles but then drove it as normal, including 90-100 mph on the motorway. But I do tend to change up manually before the DSG hits the rev limit in my normal driving, except perhaps in first and second when I let the DSG do the changing.

I'm quite happy with 1.5 litres of oil in 18.5k miles. So far I've done 2k since the first service and I checked the oil at the weekend and no need to add any.

Perhaps I've just got a good engine and you've got a not quite so good one.

By the way bowfer I meant to say I saw just the car for you in this weeks Auto Express. You have said you quite like Alfas. Well by all accounts the go ahead has been given for Alfa Romeo to produce the Brera GTA. A 3 door hatch with a 4.2litre V8 engine developing 440bhp. It's due to arrive in 2007, the only slight problem may be the cost - in the region of £48,000. But if you start saving now. It does look rather nice.

I don't have to save David.
Company car.
I can't imagine the CO2 ratings of a 4.2 V8 falling into the 16% bracket though.

Yes I don't think many companies would entertain it, unless, of course, you were the boss!

I must admit I have never had a company car so I have always been able to choose my own without any restrictions - apart, of course, from what I can afford.

I can choose any car I like really,within reason.
There's nothing 'set in stone',although there's no way I'd get a budget of £48K !

I,effectively,limit myself to a given amount of tax I'm willing to pay ever month. (around £125,including fuel benefit).

Now,for my £125 a month,I can choose an expensive car with low CO2,or a cheaper car with high CO2.

A colleague of mine,of similar stature within the company,has a £29K A4 cabriolet,but he's willing to pay more tax than I !

It's nice that you have that sort of choice. I know the last company I worked full-time for (I'm now retired and on work 2 days a week - and pay no income tax at all) had a very limited choice of cars. So if a car is important to someone they can choose to pay the extra tax and have what they want, whereas to someone who cares little about what they drive, providing it's got 4 wheels, can have a lesser car and pay less tax. You company's arrangement seems a much better proposition.

I am very lucky really.

Most people in the same position as I within the industry are given the ubiquitous Mondeo or Vectra,usually in whatever colour their head office can get a discount (white or non-metallic navy seems popular).

Unfortunately,for them,it can result in them paying as much tax as I do,which often upsets them !

For example,a £17k Mondeo with a petrol engine can cost as much in tax as a £20k+ diesel.

GEt a 3.2 V6 and its burnt nothing ! THe Oil Can in the boot (full) will be up on Ebay Shortly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had a Merc Derv and it burnt about a litre a month !!

THey said that normal as its new !
Seems the same with the Audi Dervs

BUT....

THe VW 1.9 TDI hasnt burnt nothing
I have had 2 x 1.9TDi VW and both have not used any oil in 20K Miles !

So something isnt right here ?

Only because we have been used to engines not using much oil. Perhaps the new TDI engined are designed in such a way that they will use some oil. Even if you add the cost of the oil to the cost of the diesel, they are still cheaper to run than the equivalent petrol engine. You say get a 3.2 V6 - what mpg to you get from that. Nothing like the 48-50 mpg I get from my 2.0TDI. Why be so concerned about the use of a few litres of oil - much less in cost than one tank full of petrol or diesel.

The 1.9TDI diesel when used in the A3 only produces 105PS giving it a top speed of only 117 mph where as the 2.0TDI produces 140PS giving it a top speed of 129mph in manual and 133mph in DSG format. Thats with only 100cc more capacity, but a much more advanced design.

I had a VW golf 1.9 tdi (115bhp) and the oil light used to come on just before the service was due (so about 0.5 litres every 10k).
My A3 gets through about 1litre every 5k. However the book says it can do 0.5 litres every 1k, so why should i worry? It's within the tolerances and it's not all over the drive or engine bay!

I don't see an issue? Admittedly it's a minor financial inconvenience but £uck it, all cars are. (speak to the guys with 3.2s that have to fuel them).

My new car uses more oil than my old one? So what.