Chris NottVolks Autos
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil consumption

2nd Gear

Status

Re: Oil consumption

Heard a few people waiting for the oil light to come on before topping up!

Oil warning lights are generally not a handy 'low level' indication, but a critical 'low pressure' warning caused by air being ingested throught the sump pick up due to dangerously low oil.

In my experience, it's a last warning before disaster and should have been topped up way before this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

My old Fiat Coupe Turbo used to use a litre every 1000 miles, it got rather expensive.
    The M3 used about 1 litre per 10,00 miles and so far 6000 miles in the V6 have resulted in bugger all consumption. I think the turbo's are to blame running at silly rpm.

2nd Gear

Status

My sapphire cosworth never used any oil (except the leaking gearbox / transfer box / diffs!)

The 2.0 Turbo i have now didn't drop even 1mm on the dipstick upto its first service at 18,000 miles.

The turbo is the last place you should lose any oil, unless the lube seals are gone, which means a rapid failure is on the cards.....

1st Gear

Status

yep,turbo inlet systems should be dry, first sign of any oil and the turbo is "on it's way out"
    The oil consumption may be OK according to Audi, but Lambda probes do not like it at all, and to be fair this time next year when mine is out of warranty and Audi say "It needs two Lambda probes Sir" I doubt my pocket will like it very much either!!

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Heard a few people waiting for the oil light to come on before topping up!

Oil warning lights are generally not a handy 'low level' indication, but a critical 'low pressure' warning caused by air being ingested throught the sump pick up due to dangerously low oil.

In my experience, it's a last warning before disaster and should have been topped up way before this.

[/ QUOTE ]

All very well,but not necessarily that easy in practice.
    For example,my driveway is on a slight incline,so I can't check the oil at home.
    Barely any level surfaces at work either,no not that easy there.
    So perhaps I should check it at the garage ?
    Yeah,with people waiting behind me at the pump ?
    So,perhaps I should move to a different part of the garage ?
    Oops,no spaces.

So,I leave checking oil until another convenient time,not thinking for one second that it'll be eating oil like a two-stroke and,all of a sudden,BING the light's on !

I'm not taking the mick,I'm just pointing out how difficult regularly checking the oil can be for some and how the oil warning light can,sneak up on you'. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

You're absolutely right Bowfer - thankfully all my previous diesels were company cars - so I didn't mind when the oil light came on!!!

Don't forget oil should be checked only when the engine has been stopped for at least 15-30 minutes to allow the oil to run back to the sump - that rules out forecourt checks!

They should have an oil reserve tank that tops up the engine automatically. (like a 2 stroke post-mix system!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12