AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Minstadave
  • 1 Post By crunchie

Thread: 8P TDI 140 Quattro - Tyre recommendations? Anyone used 'Riken'?

Neutral

Status

8P TDI 140 Quattro - Tyre recommendations? Anyone used 'Riken'?

Hey all

Well that time has come... New front tyres needed, previously had 'not quite budget' Kumho's fitted (£65 each iirc) and have not been happy with them! Previously had a focus doing many more miles and went through various budget type tyres, my favourites where nangcams (sp?!)! Even went through a phase of Toyo R1's but they didn't last long at all... Use is purely domestic (A roads & inner city work commute) at legal speeds, although I do love the occasional 80mph motorway blast

I'm looking to spend (hopefully) less than £200 for a front set, fitted, balanced etc. My local ATS will be doing the job, have found 'Riken Maystorm 2's' on their website (£61.74 each ex VAT, valves, balance for a total of £146 fitted) but havn't heard of the brand before...

Recommendations please!

Darkside Warrior! (Diesel) & former Focus (FFOC) nut

Current ride: Audi A3 '06 2.0TDI Quattro

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's have a good review even by users on here, camskill had a price of £90 each for a 225/40/18.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Enthusiast

Status
    Are you not supposed to change all four tyres on quattros?
    VCDS USER

Neutral

Status
    I'm after 225/45/17's...

Quote Originally Posted by SAiLO View Post
    I've not done it before, tend to swap my fronts to the rears and then have new on the front... But not much point now as there's not much between them! (rears are slightly better)

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Recommendations please!
    Yes, don't be a cheapskate. Crap tyres will negatively effect your handling and are less safe.

Quote Originally Posted by SAiLO View Post
    No need, Haldex isn't true 4WD remember.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Yes, don't be a cheapskate. Crap tyres will negatively effect your handling and are less safe.
    I wasn't aware spending <£200 on two tyres when I can easily find tyres for ~£40 a piece was being a cheapskate? I was after peoples suggestions and experiences with the tyres mentioned, not snide non-constructive remarks.

I'd love to put Toyo's/Pirelli's/Michelin's on every corner (or whatever the stealers are selling for £150 a pop), but my wallet says no!

Enthusiast

Status
    I wasn't aware spending <£200 on two tyres when I can easily find tyres for ~£40 a piece was being a cheapskate? I was after peoples suggestions and experiences with the tyres mentioned, not snide non-constructive remarks.

I'd love to put Toyo's/Pirelli's/Michelin's on every corner (or whatever the stealers are selling for £150 a pop), but my wallet says no!
    Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 are not that expensive.
    It's your choice in the end mate, but remember that tires are the only points of contact with the road.

Doubt Riken will last as long as tires from a well established manufacturer.
    VCDS USER

2nd Gear

Status
    Just stuck some Hankook V12 Ventus tyres (225/40/18) on my A3 S-Line Quattro and they are GREAT! Great on fuel, not noisy and grip very well, even in the wet. Cost me £103.55 each inc fitting at my local garage.

I think they are a great tyre with a great price. Was going to go Pirelli tyres again but heard good thinks about these tyres.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    not snide non-constructive remarks.
    Easy tiger, in a roundabout way he was being constructive, advising you to not go to cheap or you'll end up with issues as mentioned, handling & safety, which is very true, it wasn't meant to be snide knowing Leon, even if came across as

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

When I grow up, I want a 964!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by JRock247 View Post
    Just stuck some Hankook V12 Ventus tyres (225/40/18) on my A3 S-Line Quattro and they are GREAT! Great on fuel, not noisy and grip very well, even in the wet. Cost me £103.55 each inc fitting at my local garage.

I think they are a great tyre with a great price. Was going to go Pirelli tyres again but heard good thinks about these tyres.
    Had these on my Clio and thought they were impressive.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by leeds2592 View Post
    Had these on my Clio and thought they were impressive.
    If you visit Black Circles.co.uk, they now give you a rating on noise, MPG, performance, etc, so you can easily compare against other tyres. They really do stack up good against the top makes and offer great figures for the price. I really would suggest them, I will continue to use these tyres, LOVE THEM! Check out the reviews.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    in a roundabout way he was being constructive,
    Roundabouts can be lethal with **** tyres!
    8P2 S3

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by JRock247 View Post
    If you visit Black Circles.co.uk, they now give you a rating on noise, MPG, performance, etc, so you can easily compare against other tyres. They really do stack up good against the top makes and offer great figures for the price. I really would suggest them, I will continue to use these tyres, LOVE THEM! Check out the reviews.
    They came highly recommended by people on CS.net and were at a good price on Camskill which led me to buying them. They did stick to the road really well.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

1st Gear

Status

No need, Haldex isn't true 4WD remember.
    I have just ordered 4 vredesteins there's only about 1mm if that difference in the 4 tyres no point in swapping them over.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_tdi View Post
    I have just ordered 4 vredesteins there's only about 1mm if that difference in the 4 tyres no point in swapping them over.
    You mean you had the same tyres on the same corners for their whole life and there's not much difference in wear? Interesting, I haven't found the same on mine. I always swap them halfway and the fronts wear twice as quick as the rears.
    8P2 S3

Neutral

Status
    You mean you had the same tyres on the same corners for their whole life and there's not much difference in wear? Interesting, I haven't found the same on mine. I always swap them halfway and the fronts wear twice as quick as the rears.
    Same here, if not 3x as quick! Then again i'm using cheap tyres!

1st Gear

Status

Yeah ill take some pics tomorrow if I get time

4th Gear

Status
    My S3 is the same, fronts will be down to 3mm when the rears are at 4mm.
    I only swap them round a few months before I get new ones.
    Always change 4 at a time.
    Now:
    TTS, Leon Cupra R, MK2 Golf GTi 16v BB 3dr & MK4 Golf "GTi" 2.0 8v

Past:
    S3 8P3
    A3 2.0T
    S3 8L REVO
    306 Rallye
    Impreza STi8
    Leon Cupra R REVO
    S3 8L REVO
    Impreza T2000
    306 Rallye
    MK3 Golf GTi 8v
    & more in between

Neutral

Status

Roady, if you are only ever doing the sort of driving you say you are, then Nankang Ditchfinders or Riken Nogrip will be absolutely fine for you. If you are not interested in the differences branding and types of tyres available makes to the cornering grip, ride comfort, noise and, most importantly, stopping distances in the wet then go for the cheapest. I know someone who will sell you part worns for a tenner a corner if you're really hard up.

You get what you pay for in this world. Buying cheap tyres for a performance car, no for any car, seems an anathema to me. The four contact patches slightly larger than your foot carrying a 1800Kg load at anything up to 80mph is probably the most important spend necessary in terms of safety for you and all those you carry with you. In my very humble opinion.

5th Gear

Status
    Bought a couple of NanKang snow tyres for the Mini.. They were rather good fun to drive on... a bit like a cheap Toyota GT86 thrill seeker......

6th Gear

Status
    inboxed

I'm after 225/45/17's...

I've not done it before, tend to swap my fronts to the rears and then have new on the front... But not much point now as there's not much between them! (rears are slightly better)
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankman View Post
    Roady, if you are only ever doing the sort of driving you say you are, then Nankang Ditchfinders or Riken Nogrip will be absolutely fine for you. If you are not interested in the differences branding and types of tyres available makes to the cornering grip, ride comfort, noise and, most importantly, stopping distances in the wet then go for the cheapest. I know someone who will sell you part worns for a tenner a corner if you're really hard up.

You get what you pay for in this world. Buying cheap tyres for a performance car, no for any car, seems an anathema to me. The four contact patches slightly larger than your foot carrying a 1800Kg load at anything up to 80mph is probably the most important spend necessary in terms of safety for you and all those you carry with you. In my very humble opinion.
    Spot on, and better explained than my attempt.

I really don't see the point in buying a car where you can't afford to run it. I would love to trade my car in for a Cayman S but looking at the running costs for the amount of mileage I would want to do would be cost prohibitive. £250 per corner, for about 12,000 miles, is too much for me.

Tyres are the first place you can save money but you really do get what you pay for. I have spent the last 2 years running a pro-kart race team. It has taught me an astonishing amount about the importance of good rubber (finar). Regardless of how fast you want to go, it's all about keeping the car on the road in times of trouble.

Plus, more expensive tyres generally last a lot longer (apart from Toyos), buying cheap may be a false economy.
    8P2 S3

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Tankman View Post

Spot on, and better explained than my attempt.

I really don't see the point in buying a car where you can't afford to run it. I would love to trade my car in for a Cayman S but looking at the running costs for the amount of mileage I would want to do would be cost prohibitive. £250 per corner, for about 12,000 miles, is too much for me.

Tyres are the first place you can save money but you really do get what you pay for. I have spent the last 2 years running a pro-kart race team. It has taught me an astonishing amount about the importance of good rubber (finar). Regardless of how fast you want to go, it's all about keeping the car on the road in times of trouble.

Plus, more expensive tyres generally last a lot longer (apart from Toyos), buying cheap may be a false economy.
    Fully agree with you both.

I've said it on numerous different threads about tyres but they're one of the most important things on a car why scrimp on them?!?!

People who buy a £6000+ car and then stick budget £40 a corner tyres on baffle me.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport

1st Gear

Status
    TBH there isn't much in the price of decent tyres and the cheap tat.

I went on Tyres Online | Cheap Tyres | Winter Tyres & Car Servicing UK, priced up some GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 and noticed that one of their suppliers was round the corner from me. Gave them a call and they said they would beat the price if I didnt use the site.

Got 2 assy 2's for £91 a corner fitted. The Nanakangs there are £75ish.. no brainer really for the sake of £15

6th Gear

Status
    i have CONTI SPORT CONTACT 3 as i get them of my m8 part worn always min 6mm
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)

2nd Gear
    Hexxagon Champion

Status
    10000000% Get Bridgestone RE050A they are imense tyres and you will appreciate it on the quattro. My cousin has them on his 170 tdi quattro and its grip is just phenomenal, likewise i used to have them on my R32. The wet grip is outstanding aswell as the wear rate probably look to get upwards of 15k miles from a set. Checkout tyre reviews on goolge. Avoid Falken unless you want to replace them often imo just from experiance also had 3 sets of goodyears in the past including eagle F1s which didnt wear evenly despite correct pressures etc so i lost a fewk miles there.

1st Gear

Status

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363440721.908850.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363440747.360847.jpg

Not the best pictures but you can kinda see that there pretty even

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tdi-man View Post
    i have CONTI SPORT CONTACT 3 as i get them of my m8 part worn always min 6mm
    Wouldnt touch part worns with a barge pole, rather you than me!

Why would anyone with an ounce of sense want to by Rikens, or any other no name tyres?
    Jack_tdi likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hey all

Well that time has come... New front tyres needed, previously had 'not quite budget' Kumho's fitted (£65 each iirc) and have not been happy with them! Previously had a focus doing many more miles and went through various budget type tyres, my favourites where nangcams (sp?!)! Even went through a phase of Toyo R1's but they didn't last long at all... Use is purely domestic (A roads & inner city work commute) at legal speeds, although I do love the occasional 80mph motorway blast

I'm looking to spend (hopefully) less than £200 for a front set, fitted, balanced etc. My local ATS will be doing the job, have found 'Riken Maystorm 2's' on their website (£61.74 each ex VAT, valves, balance for a total of £146 fitted) but havn't heard of the brand before...

Recommendations please!
    you are in big trouble! a friend of mine drove his b6 quattro with different front/rear tyres for quite some time, and then suddenly he found out how much a new differential cost... the hard way
    I can just advise you not to go this path, saving on your tyres will cost you times and times more later for repairs...

Neutral

Status
    Reporting back on the Riken Maystorm 2's... Great tyres, had no problems and replaced them last month with easily almost 20k miles on them. One warning though... Once wear gets low the grip really does drop off them, in the wet anyway! (so I replaced them before the winter).

According to my guy at ATS they're made by michelin?! Just branded towards 'budget buyers' (like you seem to be calling me).

To be honest I could get unbranded tyres for a 1/3 of the price from a no-name garage/fitters, so I wouldn't consider myself 'budget'.

4th Gear

Status
    To be honest I could get unbranded tyres for a 1/3 of the price from a no-name garage/fitters, so I wouldn't consider myself 'budget'.
    But they are unbranded...? I've never even heard of them. I'd put them under the category of "ditch finders"
    RobbieWebs likes this.
    Now:
    TTS, Leon Cupra R, MK2 Golf GTi 16v BB 3dr & MK4 Golf "GTi" 2.0 8v

Past:
    S3 8P3
    A3 2.0T
    S3 8L REVO
    306 Rallye
    Impreza STi8
    Leon Cupra R REVO
    S3 8L REVO
    Impreza T2000
    306 Rallye
    MK3 Golf GTi 8v
    & more in between

4th Gear

Status
    Really I don't understand when u can buy branded tyres like Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, Avon zv 3 + 5 for less than 70 quid from cam skill and get them fitted.
    I'm the same as everyone else I put the best tyres I can for peace of mind/ comfort/ value of price and for handling
    It's ur choice then if u were happy with them before then I can see why u would fit them again.
    Just my 2p worth
    Audi A4 BE 2.0 TDI 177 Quattro

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    But they are unbranded...? I've never even heard of them. I'd put them under the category of "ditch finders"
    I don't mean actually 'unbranded' - but more 'brands of lesser well known names' like Kumho, Riken etc.