Non-functioning centre heater vents after double din stereo conversion.

hesky

Reaction score
Hi chaps, over the weekend I switched out the single din stereo cage in my 07 Sportback for a double din item. The conversion itself was successful, but on Monday morning on the way to work I noticed the centre dash vents were not blowing air.

The procedure requires you to delicately shoe horn the cage in position and bolt it behind the dash. I was wondering if there were any mechanical flaps or linkages that I could have disturbed.

Also the HVAC unit was changed for the double din version, this unit was tested briefly before hand and functioned as it should, I must say I’m not 100% sure I checked to see if all vents were circulating air or not in operation.

Could anyone give me some pointers where to start as I’m not at all familiar with the ventilation arrangement of this car.

Appreciate any assistance on this one.

Cheers :)

I bet you fitted the wrong climate unit, refit the old one temp & test, fitting wrong one will make the system not function correctly.

Quite possibly, I noted the part no. down a while ago its 8P0 820 043 AD. The old unit has a part no. 8P0 820 043 M

I'll reconnect the old item and see if it resolves the issue, fingers crossed.

if the old one works all you will have to do is disassemble both units and swap the boards over, provided you havent gone for the one with the chrome switches this should work

That would be ideal, yes its similar in style to the old unit.

I plan to try the old one this weekend.

I checked & the part numbers supplied would suggest it should work perfectly fine, so I suggest you do a basic setting 001 in module 08 with vcds which defaults/calibrates the systems flaps, motors etc, then see what occurs.

I know it sounds daft, but you haven't turned them off at the bezels have you?

Ha ha, not a daft question at all! I must admit it wasn’t the first thing that came to mind to check.
Its not often I need close/adjust the air vents, but yeah I have checked that both are fully open and the directional veins are fully open.

I checked & the part numbers supplied would suggest it should work perfectly fine, so I suggest you do a basic setting 001 in module 08 with vcds which defaults/calibrates the systems flaps, motors etc, then see what occurs.

Thanks for that, I will plug it in tomorrow and carry out the above procedure.

I was reading up on this and it seem the HVAC module can monitor potentiometer operation of the flaps and even detect issues with the mechanical operation!

NHN thanks loads for taking the time to look into this for me.

Will report back tomorrow.

ok, I have just run the basic settings test in mod 8.

The first column in 001 group states ADP.O.K. beforehand.

When I press ON/OFF/NEXT to initiate the test the first column states ADP RUN and i can here the flaps operating behind the centre vents. For a very brief second i can feel cool air pass through the middle vents as it carries out the test.

When the test is complete it state ADP.O.K. again.

With the climate control on auto and air con on i can feel air passing through the side vents but still nothing in the middle 2. I have to pop to the bank now so will get the car up to temp and see if it passes any hot air through the middles.

Its worth noting I only have a couple of dtc faults relating to the heated seats, as this has adjustment and my seats are not heated, this is expected.

Cheers