MFSW Confusion

roscoegray

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im back on the forum after selling my A3 1.8T, and now owning a 2006 A3 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-Line @ Stage 2 by AMD. Im sure i will be on the forum lot over the next few months planning all these mods i have in my head but i seem to have got stuck with my first one!

I currently have the 3 spoke "S-Line" steering wheel with cruise control and i have purchased what looks like the same 3 spoke steering wheel but with the multi function buttons. VAG-COM tells me i have the 8
P0 953 549 F steering module but i am getting confused with the slip ring and wiring harness?

S
o my question is
  1. Am i right in thinking the airbag will be a swap over?
  2. Do i need a slip ring and/or wiring harness
  3. and if so can anyone help with the part number...

Im guessing there is a guide out there also..?

i did try having a search, a few times, but i seemed to just get more confused.

Current Wheel New Wheel
Current New

Help would be great!

As from what i know, and its not alot..

The airbag is the same, so can use your old one, you will need just a wiring harness part number: 8P0971589AD

The module you have now is fine AFAIK

As from what i know, and its not alot..

The airbag is the same, so can use your old one, you will need just a wiring harness part number: 8P0971589AD

The module you have now is fine AFAIK

Chris, you are correct !

OP - I am surprised you have that steering module as that was usually only factory fitted with mfsw or dsg.

You already have the correct slip ring.

Cheers guys! That's good news, will go get that harness! As for the module I was surprised to find it was rev F, but I'm not going to complain!

Cheers again!

Double check the back of the airbag as there are 2 types wi a very subtle difference that stops if from fitting onto some wheels.

Double check the back of the airbag as there are 2 types wi a very subtle difference that stops if from fitting onto some wheels.

Fair point Ash but that mfsw is suitable for the 2006 standard airbag. I can't imagine that year ( same as mine ) having the 'other' airbag.

2.0 o'clock wiring socket, two locating pins and slightly angled fixing bolts etc.etc. !!

What's happened to the rest of the posts in this thread please ?

There were at least another half dozen posts from NHN, Danny and me !!

Sandra, Admin, any ideas or feedback please ? Just interested as I don't think I can remember anything in those posts that was 'off-limits' !

PM please if not wishing to publish.

Last edited:
Fair point Ash but that mfsw is suitable for the 2006 standard airbag. I can't imagine that year ( same as mine ) having the 'other' airbag.

2.0 o'clock wiring socket, two locating pins and slightly angled fixing bolts etc.etc. !!

Cheers, i will have a go fitting it anyways and let you know if it fits or not. One other quick question, do i need to disconnect the battery, is it a wise idea to do it anyway?

Cheers

What's happened to the rest of the posts in this thread please ?

There were at least another half dozen posts from NHN, Danny and me !!

Sandra, Admin, any ideas or feedback please ? Just interested as I don't think I can remember anything in those posts that was 'off-limits' !

PM please if not wishing to publish.

Im looking into this right now for you mike. :) x

Yeah that's really weird, as I also a few days ago thought something was missing from a thread I was looking at, maybe it was this one, not sure, but at the time I thinking didn't I just post in this thread.

​Im still looking, its a total mystery as to where they have disappeared too. I will solve it though. :) x

Yeah that's really weird, as I also a few days ago thought something was missing from a thread I was looking at, maybe it was this one, not sure, but at the time I thinking didn't I just post in this thread.

Yes you did mate ! So did Danny and so did I !!

I can jog your memory by referring to one post ( Danny I think ) mentioning your recent eye op. First I'd heard of it and hope all is now ok mate.

AFAIK I had the last post which was asking the guy to post a picture of his steering wheel with airbag removed so I could confirm whether his airbag would fit the wheel he had bought !

Not sure but I think the thread ran to two pages.

Anyway - 'Sandra the Sleuth' is onto it !! lol:arco:

Reactions: Sandra
Yes I remember that now, someone been deleting posts it would appear.

Did we get anywhere with this?

Not as far as I know mate.

Sandra must have hit a brick wall !

Just a coincidence I was logged on when you posted - not much involvement now I'm afraid. Can't cope with mysterious unilateral decisions from behind the scenes :(

Ha ha - what I mean is someone must have decided to remove the posts without any explanation because it's very strange that even a mod. as well positioned and respected as Sandra couldn't get to the bottom of it !

Sorry mate but it's not the first time this has happened with threads I have been involved with and no explanation was offered.

I'm sure it must be something to do with my age but c'est la vie !! (sorry don't know the italian equivalent) :icon_thumright:

Pass I don't know why things were removed, no cause to remove them anyway, made no sense.