OEM Sat NAV

Eeef

Lord of War
Reaction score
Anyone looking to get one? Just spoken to some guy on ebay and he has 3 units, a brand new one and two used. He's asking £650 including gps and DVD.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know the guy, or endorse him, but if you're interested the price doesn't seem to bad. He's in Greenford, Middx

Uhm - as far as I know, I don't have (and haven't had) anything SatNav related for sale.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I got my unit from Craigyb like many others, and I can highly recommend him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Apologies for the confusion. I thought you were offering help in single din to double din conversions...not the units themselves. Like you, I got mine from Craigyb... v good all round.

Rick

Still toying with the idea if I can get it for the right price. The bit that's really holding me up is either appropriating a new climate control unit, or getting big enough hairy ones to hack my existing one to bits.

Just seen an A4 one on ebay . item no 4579426042.
Audi Part no. 8E0 820 043C.
Dont know if that will fit.

Its only at 99p at the minute so could be worth it just for a trial run!!!

thers guy sellin them for all audis on ebay and dash bits to change yours ova.does group buy discount 2!!!

heres the disciption he gives
"Full Audi DVD Satellite Navigation Plus RNS-E Retrofit kit. This is the latest 2005 model. Audi part number 8E0 035 192 D. This unit alone costs over £2500 from the dealer minus all the other parts. Remember that this is new and unused and the very latest version. The kit also includes everything else you need to retrofit it to a car with a double din dash (Symphony HiFi) Contains: - GPS Antenna (would cost you £40 to buy seperate) - Wiring harness (would cost you £40 to buy seperate) - Diversity/Antenna Adapter (would cost you £12 to buy seperate) - Unlock code - User manual (would cost you £10 to buy seperate) - EU 2005 DVD - The most recent edition - Newest software I also ship this Pre Coded for your car. To explain this - When you retrofit Sat Nav in order for it to work correctly you need to tell the unit certain things about your car i.e Does it have Bose sound? What size of wheels does it have etc etc... To do this the car needs to be taken to Audi and apart from the grief you get from the dealer they also take about £70 off you for the pleasure. You will not need to do this with my kit, when you order it I will take the required details of your car and get this pre-programmed so all you need to do is plug it in. Because I get them pre programmed then delivery can take upto 10 working days but is normally much quicker. I can also offer further discounts for more than one kit. For those cars with a single din hifi currently installed (i.e Chorus, Concert) you require further parts to convert the dash for the new larger opening. You need a new double din carrier, centre console and climate control panel - your current climate panel can be cut to fit but thats up to you if you want to do so - I can supply these additional parts at extra cost. I can also offer a full fitting service for only £200."
sounds gud buy in my opinion

I'm with you Eeef. I'm waiting for these things to hit the right price (whatever that is), and what to do with my CC unit etc.

I have a feeling there are more and more of the satnav units turning up on ebay and the prices have fallen to about £500-£600, whereas they were arount £800 about 3 months ago. I think it's a good idea to wait.

Then again, I plan to sell up in about a year's time, so is there any point in upgrading at all as all that moment will be money down the pan.

Sat Nav will help sell your car staright away and add around £750 to a grand to the price, so if you buy used and keep it under £750 you can't really go wrong.

Looked at the sat-nav link from lankyandy, but still think that Craigyb is good value as its fitted, coded using vag-com, supplied with the DVD (£325 from Audi), tested in your car and backed up by a 1 yr warranty and original manual for a grand. For OEM installs he must be hard to beat. A professional, patient guy who is thorough, solders connections rather than tape/scotchblocks...

Plus it must be a safer bet than the ebay lottery. Also if you don't like it, (why you would do this I don't know), he would take it out and replace your old stuff and you pay nowt.

Doesn't get around the single din/CC issue though...

South of Manchester... he has posted a lot in the ICE section, Sat Nav fitting service, if i remember correctly.... May be a bit far for you Eeef, I travelled from Edinburgh and still thought it was worthwhile...

Send him a pm. I dont know if he travels with work or what..

Rick

That's the thing. A single DIN pushes the price up, and Craig doesn't want to mess with that. So not worth it, at present. Perhaps when there are more dinged A3s at breakers, getting hold of the fascia bits will be much cheaper.

You have to remember, that the SatNav would not be as fitted to a new car, and I certainly would not pay as much for a car with a DIY jobby in it compared to a factory fit model. It would be really useful, looks very flash, adds value to the car, but would cost far too much at present.

Folks,

Having had a factory fitted Sat Nav Plus for 10 months now (bought my A3 as stealer ex-demo car), I would have to say I would question all the hassle/pain you are going through to get this fitted.

Don't get me wrong, the Audi system is gr8, and I use it all the time, it is 95% accurate, but I would still seriously consider whether I would order it on a new car at £2,500. Yes its better than the VW version which is CD based rather than DVD, but £2.5k vs £500 for a hand held unit makes me think.

I would have to say, save yourself all the pain of a DIY fit on what is a lovely car as it is, there will always be something that will come up that will cause you untold hassle, and could end up costing you more than 1st budgeted, or do damage to the car, plus it still may not work as accurately as a factory fit. I have read lankyandy's post from ebay, and I would have reservations.

I would suggest you leave well alone an invest in one of these portable units you can buy now. My colleague has one, its brilliant, and in some aspects far better than the Audi Sat Plus.

Alternatively, hold fire until new year, I may well have my A3 forsale with factory fitted Sat Nav Plus!

I couldn't agree more, sat nav was on my nice to have list, but not at £2.5k. However, as a £1k retrofit it's a very tempting offer. I've got a TomTom pda at the moment and you're right, they're very good. But it totally ruins the cabin by being 'super glued' to the dash.

The only downside that I can see is that you can't put the overlays on the RNS-E for speed cameras and the like, but that's the only issue for me.

Yep, one of the guys on my sales team has used the Ipaq PDA we provided for his job as a Sat Nav unit instead! He has it plugged into radar dector (snooper, or the other one, I can't remember) but it downloads the camera sites (mobile aswell) so really handy gadget!

I have a TOMTOM GO mounted to the right of the steering wheel, as low down as I could get it so it looks like it's sitting on the dash. Looks fine, loaded speed cameras POIs, works well enough.

You would think that all these cheap all-in-one navigation units would force car manufacturers to lower the price of the built in Sat Navs, apparently not. £2500 is a wee bit steep to say the least.

I have a TOTOM GO too, its so useful with the cameras in I dont tend to use my Road Angel anymore. Having cameras has got to be a big benefit over standard factory fitted satnav.

Has anyone had a demo of the new road Angel navigator? My mates got one, nice piece of kit, I like the TomTom Go but I quite like the added benefit of proper camera mapping and not out of date POI gfiles of the Tomtom...

J.

Yes oem sat nav is expensive, but I tend to watch the tomtom pda unit too much and the road not enough. One thing the oem has is instructions in the hud between the speed and rev dials.

Suppose I could raise the PDA to natural line of sight, but think DIS display would be much better.

I think that's bolderdash. He seems to sell a lot of these.

£500 seems to be too much these days. I think they will be the right side of £400 soon. Still won't bother to DIY mine - the double din frame and new climate control unit just make it too expensive / tricky to bother. Plus, I'm planning on changing at the end of next year. I'll make sure my next car is oem satnav upgrade friendly!

[ QUOTE ]
I think that's bolderdash. He seems to sell a lot of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must agree, he sells a lot of Audi/VW stuff on ebay. I bought my six disc glovebox changer from him off ebay. Good price, good quality. He even delivered it himself. Seemed like a nice enough guy. He says his brother works for audi in germany. I'd buy from him again if that eases your mind any.

Just to let you know, I can do A3 8P dash conversions as well. Additional £200 including all the parts on the A3 price.

So thats £1000 for nav system, Symphony upgrade

And £1200 for concert upgrade.

Audi BT Telephone kits are now £350 or £300 when fitted with navigation.

Regards

Craig

Must.... keep.... credit.... card... in .. pocket.. arrrrgghhhhh nnnooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif