AH FabricationsVolks Autos
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    97

    Bi-Xenons or HID?

    Hi all, currently going through a S3 conversion, but was thinking of just fitting a HID kit whilst I was changing my front bumper, but is it easy enough to fit the bi xenon headlamps from an 8p s3 3 door, or even easy enough to fit the newer bi xenon and led drl lamps from the s3/a3s??

    I have an 8p sportback s line

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,072
    Don't bother with hid kits, do your research & you will see it blows the wiper motor, £300 later.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Don't bother with hid kits, do your research & you will see it blows the wiper motor, £300 later.
    Wiper motor for windscreen? As I don't have headlamp wipers?'

  5. #4
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,072
    Yes windscreen wiper motor.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75
    I currently have a HID kit in my poor 8P, however, even though steps have been taken to prevent the wiper from blowing, i am still not happy with how the set up looks (from inside the engine back (messy) and from outside (horrible light scatter)).

    Having compared my lights to my friend's 8P with bi xenons, there is no doubt in the fact that bi xenons look miles better.

    Just purchased all the OEM retrofit requirements myself and can't wait to install now!

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    York
    Posts
    241
    Can you not just do an OEM upgrade??

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by revilo View Post
    I currently have a HID kit in my poor 8P, however, even though steps have been taken to prevent the wiper from blowing, i am still not happy with how the set up looks (from inside the engine back (messy) and from outside (horrible light scatter)).

    Having compared my lights to my friend's 8P with bi xenons, there is no doubt in the fact that bi xenons look miles better.

    Just purchased all the OEM retrofit requirements myself and can't wait to install now!
    how much did it cost to get all the OEM kit? And what kit do you need??

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramley View Post
    Can you not just do an OEM upgrade??
    need to know what parts are and how much first lol! I have no idea how to do an OEM upgrade?

  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallum View Post
    how much did it cost to get all the OEM kit? And what kit do you need??
    Basically looking at:

    bi xenon headlight units
    2 x ballast
    2 x bulbs (d1s)
    wiring harness
    DRL bulbs (plus resistors if going for LED)

    Bumper with headlight washers
    leveling sensors
    Washer system to supply headlight washers

    Plus a new CEM if yours does not support bi xenon..

    you will be looking at spending the best part of £1000 (unless you can bag some bargains). Not the cheapest of mods!

    NHN, please correct me if I've missed anything!

  11. #10
    notta3's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by revilo View Post
    Basically looking at:

    bi xenon headlight units
    2 x ballast
    2 x bulbs (d1s)
    wiring harness
    DRL bulbs (plus resistors if going for LED)

    Bumper with headlight washers
    leveling sensors
    Washer system to supply headlight washers

    Plus a new CEM if yours does not support bi xenon..

    you will be looking at spending the best part of £1000 (unless you can bag some bargains). Not the cheapest of mods!

    NHN, please correct me if I've missed anything!
    I'd of said well over 1k! I've researched it myself and came out with the same list though, having said that I've probably missed out something too.

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by notta3 View Post
    I'd of said well over 1k! I've researched it myself and came out with the same list though, having said that I've probably missed out something too.
    first things first, it would be handy to find out what revision CEM you have..

    things like the headlamp units can be found as a bargain if you're lucky.
    i got some very good condition ones, which included the ballasts and bulbs, for £250 delivered!

  13. #12
    FranA3's Avatar
    events moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    south wales
    Posts
    7,124
    i wouldnt touch hid's for the a3 ive been stung by the wiper motor failing , best bet is oem only !
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by FranA3 View Post
    i wouldnt touch hid's for the a3 ive been stung by the wiper motor failing , best bet is oem only !
    i can't get my head around the wiper motor thing? I remember fitting a H7 kit to a Clio a while back, and I'm pretty sure my audi runs H7s, and all u do is plug the connector for the H7 into the ballast pack and from the ballast it runs it's own wire to a bi xenon bulb! I can't get my head around that causing a wiper motor fault?

  15. #14
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallum View Post
    i can't get my head around the wiper motor thing? I remember fitting a H7 kit to a Clio a while back, and I'm pretty sure my audi runs H7s, and all u do is plug the connector for the H7 into the ballast pack and from the ballast it runs it's own wire to a bi xenon bulb! I can't get my head around that causing a wiper motor fault?
    Unfortunately there does seem to be a well known problem with aftermarket HID kits, and blowing the wiper motor..

    the wiper motor and the headlights are both earthed on whats known as a spider earth , when you first turn the hid kit on the inital spike of power back feeds through the earth system and as we all know to well blows the wiper motor
    My car has some resistors / extra wiring preventing this from occurring, however it is an ugly solution. Hence why i'm going for a bi xenon retrofit..

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. XENON FOGLIGHT HID LED BULB
    By riggssuzuki in forum General Technical / How To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th May 2012, 03:25
  2. whats better my s3 xenons or hid projectors?
    By slowcoach3 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27th December 2011, 12:45
  3. Retro-fitting HID Xenon conversion kit
    By anty in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 15th June 2005, 06:55
  4. HID / Xenon
    By The Slug in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 22nd February 2005, 14:38
  5. XENON High Intensity Discharge (HID) lighting kits
    By Broadmarsh in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20th December 2004, 13:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO