My New 8P S3 has arrived! :)

controlz

Reaction score
Hey, so after getting some great advice on this forum, I finally went and bought myself an S3. I'm looking forward to going out for a long drive today!

Photo

I had a couple of questions about the clutch. The car has only had one owner and only 30k miles so I'm really hoping what I'm about to ask isn't an issue!

Firstly, when pressing the clutch pedal, the first inch or so doesn't do anything to the physical clutch, it just feels like the pedal is on a little bit of a spring. If I put a bit of weight on the clutch it somethings pushes it down a little and can therefore give the impression of riding the clutch even though it isn't doing so. Maybe this is just the way the pedal is designed?

Also, when pulling off from a standstill, if I don't rev the car above about 1300rpm when pulling off, I get slight hollow knocking sound from the engine. It could just be how the car sounds at biting point, but it's different to any car I've had in the past... Hoping these aren't issues! Thanks :)

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, the car had a new flywheel under warranty about 2 years ago.

Hey, so after getting some great advice on this forum, I finally went and bought myself an S3. I'm looking forward to going out for a long drive today!

View attachment 12343

I had a couple of questions about the clutch. The car has only had one owner and only 30k miles so I'm really hoping what I'm about to ask isn't an issue!

Firstly, when pressing the clutch pedal, the first inch or so doesn't do anything to the physical clutch, it just feels like the pedal is on a little bit of a spring. If I put a bit of weight on the clutch it somethings pushes it down a little and can therefore give the impression of riding the clutch even though it isn't doing so. Maybe this is just the way the pedal is designed?

Also, when pulling off from a standstill, if I don't rev the car above about 1300rpm when pulling off, I get slight hollow knocking sound from the engine. It could just be how the car sounds at biting point, but it's different to any car I've had in the past... Hoping these aren't issues! Thanks :)

Knocking sound could be the clutch release bearing. From what I understand it doesn't really cause any issues but generally if you were going to change it you might as well do the clutch as well.

Mine has been doing it since I got it only a little and it's not caused any issues other than being annoying

Very nice, mine is the same with the engine sound when not revving hard enough when pulling away. It doesn't sound like a release bearing to me but just that the engine is under a bit of load. I've only really noticed it when I'm reversing. I'm pretty sure when I test drove a brand new S3 the sound was also present but I can't be certain.

Mine is the same and was exactly the same before and after the fitting of a Sachs Clutch with new DMF and CSC so I wouldn't worry about it being a fault.

My standard clutch from what I remember didn't do what you describe about the difference in pressure through the start of the pedal travel but the Sachs one definetly does.

Mine is the same and was exactly the same before and after the fitting of a Sachs Clutch with new DMF and CSC so I wouldn't worry about it being a fault.

My standard clutch from what I remember didn't do what you describe about the difference in pressure through the start of the pedal travel but the Sachs one definetly does.

Thanks bmh, you mean the same as in the hollow knocking sound?

I wonder why my pedal has a difference in pressure then, and doesn't start engaging for about an inch!