A3 TDI 220BHP....

[ QUOTE ]
Blimey...a bit steep innit ?

[/ QUOTE ]

what, the 220bhp or the £2.5k to get you there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AMD have never been cheap.

I can't figure out who would want this..
You know what I mean ?

A;If you want out and out performance,don't buy a diesel.

B;Most diesels (probably) are company cars,so you're not going to spend £2500 on a car that ain't yours and,even if you were willing to,your company probably ain't gonna let you.

I'd probably do it if it wasn't for my warranty.

I own the car and whilst I got a diesel for the uber mpg, i like to give it a blat every now and then. 220bhp would be fun, though a tad impracticle with fwd.

The MPG would surely take a nosedive though,so that's the diesel's major (only?) plus point out of the window.

You'd be better off just buying a 2.0T and getting it chipped for £400,don't you think ?

I dunno,I just think it stands to reason that an 80bhp increase will mean more fuel.

If the MPG does remain the same,then it would be some beast !

220 bhp and 40+ mpg ?

Nice one.

well with more torque produced, less effort with right foot = better fuel economy! group buy anyone, not just yet after xmas lets do it! lol

AmD have been offering this for a while on the 140PS 2.0TDI. However, unless you drive the new TDI Quattro, it's just not worth spending that kind of money on a FWD car.

My 2.0TDI is in standard trim and spins its wheels under full throttle in second, and even in third gear if it's just very slightly damp. How will the 8P cope with around 340lb/ft of torque through the front wheels? Badly I would guess.

But with a Quattro drivetrain, that conversion would start to make a lot of sense.

could you use second gear to pull off to reduce wheel spin or is that too old school.

in theory it should be just as economical as its capacity is still 2.0 and the only time you'd use lot of fuel is when your on boost, when your cruising on the motor way you'd not be on boost , sounds like a good idea, but whats the torque and power curves like, if it messes up the low end too much it'll just make the diesel into a real dog to drive in the city and the overtaking power in any gear will disapear

is it possible to have best of both worlds economy and performance

I agree with most here.. the traction control on mine has to work much harder since the remap, and thats not even 180BHP now.. 220 and FWD? not convinced at all!

Economy - have been babying it recently (local esso at 99.9p/litre fof diesel) and babied its MUCH better since the remap, a comfortable 650m+ on a tank..

However... two weeks back, had a v.busy week, lots of booting it everywhere, managed just 400m on the tankful.. not so good..

so yes, driven normally, economy unaffected or better (used to aim at 530 from a tank) - but noone pays for an upgrade to 220HP and than babies it! Stage one was great idea, and improved driveability at all revs.. but like Dummi I would be concerned about drive characteristics..

My 2p worth? I'd save the money and put it towards the 3.0 Diesel when I change the car next year! Have my heart set on that...

In the golf mag a few months back they put a mallard tuned 1.9Tdi against a tuned 1.8T. The diesel was producing similar, if not higher figures, and managed to beat the 1,8T in the0-60 dash and still averaged 50mpg...

Plus not all diesels are company cars!!!!

J.

Oh missed out the perf times, I think it hit 62mph from a stand still in the wet in about 6.2 secs... I'll see if I still have the mag and get the exact figures.

J.

I had the turbo on a 1.9 TDi sent off to Turbo Technics.
It was played with ?

Came back, added a black box, and induction kit.

cost £ 900

took it from 88bhp to 120bhp
150lbs torque to 220lbs torque

engine now a bit rattly as it done 40K
had the above work done when at 2 K

It was the original Racing Caddy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

it wasnt a PD engine either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

racingcaddy_954.jpg

so 2.5K for the work is expensive.