What is the best way to deal with these scratches?

The-Natural

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a few scratches on the passenger's side...
They bother me... I have a sensitive eye when it comes to my car (like all of us) and really want to fix this.
whats the best way to do so? the color of my car is Lava Grey.
please see pictures below:
thank

Scratch1

Scratch2

Hard to tell for sure in the pics. But looks like light scratches to the top clearcoat layer of the paint. A good detailer could well get these polished out for you or have a go yourself if feeling brave. Check out the detailing section here on ASN and also detailing worlds another great website for advice and inspiration and to find a good detailer.

Hard to tell for sure in the pics. But looks like light scratches to the top clearcoat layer of the paint. A good detailer could well get these polished out for you or have a go yourself if feeling brave. Check out the detailing section here on ASN and also detailing worlds another great website for advice and inspiration and to find a good detailer.

Thanks,
I also ordered a kit by scratch doctor to try and deal with it by myself.
Im from Israel and the detailing shops here sucks...

Really depends on your equipment, and what you feel you can do.

On phone, so hard to see how deep they are. But you can flat them back, and machine polish the panel.
At the very least, it will make them less visible, if not remove them completely.

I wouldn't go any lower than 1200 unless your confident.
Then ideally, for a good finish, I use 2000, 3000, 4000. Then machine polish, I used 3M fast cut on a green pad, then 3M extra fine compound with a yellow pad, and lastly 3M ultra fina on a blue pad.

You can get many alternatives, thats just what I use.

Really depends on your equipment, and what you feel you can do.

On phone, so hard to see how deep they are. But you can flat them back, and machine polish the panel.
At the very least, it will make them less visible, if not remove them completely.

I wouldn't go any lower than 1200 unless your confident.
Then ideally, for a good finish, I use 2000, 3000, 4000. Then machine polish, I used 3M fast cut on a green pad, then 3M extra fine compound with a yellow pad, and lastly 3M ultra fina on a blue pad.

You can get many alternatives, thats just what I use.

thanks, will try that.

Ok 1st question, can you get a nail in them, as in does your fingernail get stuck in the scratches, if so, then thats a paint job in most circumstances.

Ok 1st question, can you get a nail in them, as in does your fingernail get stuck in the scratches, if so, then thats a paint job in most circumstances.

Yea I know this trick...
I ordered a scratch kit by doctor scratch.
A friend of mine used it before and recommended it.

Only trying to help, as nobody has asked the obvious question yet.

Generally the case yes Nige.
But after doing mine, I was amazed what comes out, or is drastically improved.
But it's not for the feint hearted, theres a odd feeling taking a da, and 1200 to your car.

Mine was pretty bad
20120421_110519.jpg

20120425_131509.jpg

20120425_131726.jpg

20120425_160757.jpg

But came up better than I could have hoped. All but 1 scratch which is on the roof, but it's a lot harder to see now.
By flatting and polishing, your softening the edges of the scratch (if it's too big to remove) so light, and eyes don't catch it as easily.

After / now
20120425_140943.jpg

20130302_143147_zpse66b92be.jpg

20130302_141611_zps3e51603e.jpg