General information needed on my 2007 Audi A3 S line 170bhp TDI

Robson1989

Reaction score
hi there,

just looking for some general info please .. i have just got a audi a3 sline 170bhp tdi with 54k on the clock - on a morning i turn the key in ignition and it chuggs (really groggy) for couple of seconds then starts up? could someone tell me if this is normal or could it be the starter motor/glowplugs?

also when putting my foot down in second and 3rd gear the car has unbelievable pull to about 2/3k rpm but has a slight hissing noise from the engine as if it had dumb valves?? after 3/4k rpm the noise dissapears?? this may just be me being paranoid ..

any help would be much appreciated

thanks guys :racer:

Forgive me but i guess you are waiting for the glow plug light to go out? I would also suggest that if it's really cold give them a double whack i.e. flick the key twice. If they are dead I would expect the light to be on etc. Is your battery all OK??

As for the hiss seals on the boost pipe can fail. You would need to do some more investigation i would of thought. It sounds like some sort of boost leak issue. How is perfomance/MPG etc?

Hi :)

the glowplug light never even comes on its strange.. And the hiss isnt loud my dad seems to thin k its just the turbo kicking in after 2/3k rpm...?

mpg round the doors is 38/40mpg... Performance is excellent has alot of pull and get up to 80 no problem! Goes through the gears fine!

the car is really loud though when in 1st & 2nd gear.. Like a tractor ha ha!

Hi :)

the glowplug light never even comes on its strange.. And the hiss isnt loud my dad seems to thin k its just the turbo kicking in after 2/3k rpm...?

mpg round the doors is 38/40mpg... Performance is excellent has alot of pull and get up to 80 no problem! Goes through the gears fine!

the car is really loud though when in 1st & 2nd gear.. Like a tractor ha ha!

I'd investigate, the glowplug light should always come on when you turn the ignition on, even if its only for a second or two. Maybe the lights been disconnected to hide a problem (i.e its always on)?

I'd investigate, the glowplug light should always come on when you turn the ignition on, even if its only for a second or two. Maybe the lights been disconnected to hide a problem (i.e its always on)?

Ditto that man. If the light does not come on at all you have an issue. One thing is for sure if your not getting any "glow" in the morning it's gunna struggle big time,as you've described.
I'd have a look to find someone with VCDS near you to see if you can get it scanned etc. I guess checking the wiring/fuses would be an easy thing to do as well. Simple things first!!