Spraying alloys ?

Wilonso

Reaction score
Hi guys i know this question has been asked to death but i cant find any definitive answers to what i would like to know.

I am supposed to be swapping my wheels for some dark anthracite wheels this weekend. One of the wheels has a deep kerb mark in the middle of one of the spokes.

I presume i will need to sand this spoke down to bare metal so i can apply filler ?

Should i keep my own wheels that only have a few kerb marks would it be ok to simply just scotch pad the wheels with a bit of compound to rough them up and then spray them with primer and then the colour i want or will i still need to sand down a fair bit first ?

Any help or advice would be appreciated cheers :)

You can fill and paint over painted surfaces.
You need to at the very least key the surface with a Scotch pad or similar. So they product can adhere.

The sanding process it to remove defects, and to shape filler. Always finishing on a higher grade, as paint won't be able to fill the scratches left by coarse paper. This does depend on the paint used, and who's doing it.

Alloys are usually filled with different filler than bodywork, though I've seen body filler used.

So yes, you could rub down, fill, rub down, and paint the damaged wheel. You can also just repair the damaged area, blend it in to rest of wheel, and re lacquer the whole thing.