New wheels rubbing on rear arch

Lukebry88

Reaction score
Hi just put a set of 18x8 et 45 rs4 reps on my a3 tdi 2.0 2006 and they are rubbing on the rear arch on the outside of the tyre I've got 235/40 on there and the suspension is standard.

Then go back and say, thanks for your advice, they rub, can i has 225 now please :)

Think most people run 225 tops, which is standard 17" width for the sport.

Theres a arch liner screw you can remove which a lot of people do when lowered etc.

8J's will rub. Standard fit is 7.5J

Reactions: Peto Pedro
You mean 8j with 235 will, 7.5j with 235 wont ?

Theres a arch liner screw you can remove which a lot of people do when lowered etc.

ye read about this ill give it try

As others say, narrower tyres, remove screw or add more camber. They are your options.

no point adding camber

just get 225/40

standard r32 wheels that are 7.5j have 225/40 on them iirc

Reactions: Peto Pedro
Did you solve this? I have the same wheels but my a3 is lowered by about 40-50 mm. And it scrubs. Took the screw out and it's alot better but still does over bumps and if I had a full tank or 3-4 people in the car!:( thinking of having the insides of my wheels Lazor trimmed apparently? A friends dad I know does it? Any ideas? Only a couple of mm?

Did you solve this? I have the same wheels but my a3 is lowered by about 40-50 mm. And it scrubs. Took the screw out and it's alot better but still does over bumps and if I had a full tank or 3-4 people in the car!:( thinking of having the insides of my wheels Lazor trimmed apparently? A friends dad I know does it? Any ideas? Only a couple of mm?

So basically raising the ET of the alloy? Thus bringing the wheel back into the arch.

ive taken the screw out an it seems to have worked but I will be putting 225 on the next time I change the tyres.

What's the ET? Sorry if I'm being simple here! I'm clueless with wheels and widths and offsets and all that! But basically yes. Wheel would go in a few mm or how ever much I request apparently? I've got 225 on mine now and I'm not crazy low! Think the back is fully down but tyres aren't up in the arch! Don't wanna raise it either:(

Also, since I've put these rs4 wheels on, obviously the width and how far they stick out is different, but the car seems to wallow a little and I'm not sure if the cheapy budget tyres are causing this? Or the change in position of the wheels compared to the last ones! Any ideas?
Appreciate all the replies guys! :)

Et is offset, same thing. Higher the number, further in the arch the wheel sits.

All the info we need is stamped on the back of the wheels.
Something like 8j et45.

What size tyres are you using, all numbers. Like 225/35/19.

I'm on eibach sportlines, so 50/40mm on sport shocks. I have 8.5 wide wheels in front, et 45, with 225/35/19 tyres.
Rears are 9.5 wide, et45, 225/35/19 tyres.
So my rears are pretty wide, with arch screw out, I get minimal rubbing. Only if I hit a dip fast, normal driving, commuting is fine. Fronts don't rub at all.

With exact details we can may be help more.

I’m on 235 35 19 8.5j et45 and there is quite a bit of rubbing, so I need to remove the screw. Can anyone post a pic of where the screw is?

Last edited:
What ET are your alloys?

Run your fingers around the guard, you can’t miss it. It’s near where the guard and bumper join.

What ET are your alloys?

Run your fingers around the guard, you can’t miss it. It’s near where the guard and bumper join.

Et45, Thanks do I need to trim some of the plastic too?

Yeah, some do, but you won’t be able to fasten later.

Maybe look at these - they are used on the RS3 inplace of this screw.

The RS3 reinforcement is a bumper off job and requires the following parts:
  • 8P4 807 097 A (£15)
  • 8P4 807 098 A (£15)
  • 8P4 807 377 D (£14)
  • 8P4 807 378 D (£14)
Google will give you an idea of what’s needed.