Folding Mirrors - Should They 'Lock' Open in Position?

Jameze

James
Reaction score
I was with Jonny earlier today to fit a couple more things to my car, one of which was folding mirrors.

He ordered some new folding mirror bases from TPS to replace my existing standard mirror bases. We noticed that for some reason the mirrors when folded out don't seem to 'lock' into position as they usually would. Is this normal? The strange thing was it happened on both the driver's and the passenger's side which would indicate it's normal, but it just seems bizarre.

This meant that when the mirrors were folded out they were free to open right out and back on themselves (ie with the mirror case facing the car and the mirror glass facing outwards).

Unfortunately I didn't have the correct door module to try them out properly and see how they'd behave (I gambled to try and save a few quid but now have to search eBay for some 'M' revision door modules!).

Can anyone confirm whether this is normal or perhaps a dodgy batch? When manually folding them, they 'locked' into position closed, but they just didn't lock when they were opened.

The mirrors were of the 09/10 'dumbo' variant (can't remember the part number).

Thanks.

Normal, it's to stop them being smashed off if a car hits them.

Thanks for confirming. So I assume once the motor opens the mirrors, it's the motor that holds them in place? As opposed to the manual ones which are 'locked' into position when they pop open?

The thing which puzzled us more was when we compared them to his electric folding mirrors (04-08 style), they locked out in position (as we expected these ones to).

Just went outside to check & the dumbo's from the factory on mine lock into position (like the manual ones) when opened! When they're push\pulled slightly out of the lock position, you can't tell they're powered at all - there's no resistance from the motor.

HTH.

Very useful thanks for that. Do you know if yours lock when in the closed position too? The mirror bases we got from TPS locked into position when closed (which I don't think my standard ones do) but then didn't lock into position when opened.

Thanks again mate.

No problem buddy.

They don't actually lock closed, but the motor holds them tight, so there's no play.

It sounds like your new ones are configured out of sync.

You should be able to sync them on the nob if there correct by sending them in and out,they shouldnt freely swing towards the front of the car they should lock in position at both points

Last edited:
My second post is wrong, sorry about that - I was frightened to force the mirror against the resistance I could feel as I thought it was the motor.

I went out again & tried again! There's only one lock position and what I didn't realise is that it swings around with the mirror. i.e: when they're closed the lock position is nearer the car & when they're open it's as my first post.

So it seems your new ones are working properly after-all. :o.k:

Thanks for all your help guys! :beerchug:

That will explain why it was only locking in the closed position (as it was already 'closed'). Now I just need to hunt down some 'M' door modules so I can get them fitted and working.

Thanks once again for the help, very much appreciated.

Reactions: Artimus