Monster MotorsportBadger5
    Neutral

Status

How Wide Can I Go?

Hi All

Looking at replacing my standard audi alloys with some BBS Reps.

I previously (on other cars) have used spacers, but I have seen some 8.5 inch wide front and 9.5 inch rear reps.

I was wondering, how wide can I go on front and back without any issues with rubbing etc?

Hoping to achieve a low and wide look.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've recently been reading up on wider wheels myself, 8.5 ET40 front and 9.5 ET42 rear, 18 inch.

Apparently you MIGHT get away with it if you were to equip the wheels with the right tyres, such as; 225/40/18 or something along the lines of that, as long as they have a bit of stretch it'll be alright.

Is your car standard height? Mine is dropped 50mm and that's why I'm still abit iffy about purchasing these wheels.

6th Gear

Status
    All depends on how low you want to go, size 18 or 19, et, etc. Luke who had his a3 on air ride and Mercedes alphards 18x8.5" ET35 tyres 215/35/18 18x9.5" ET40 tyres 215/40/18. Sat lovely and looked wide from the rear.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

Rom
    2nd Gear

Status
    Wheels here New Wheels Are On are 19 x 9.5 rears, 8.8 fronts, all et45. With 225/35/19 tyres.

Lowered on Sport shocks with Eibach Sportline springs, no rubbing. Though hardly slammed.
    VCDS - Hex-Can-USB - Bristol Area
    Toyota Pro Tech - PM me if you need something done!

2004 A3 TDi Sport
    - Bose, Leather / Alcantaras, Cruise, Eibach Sportlines, S Line Facelift
    Full Paint Correction
    To Do - Lamin X, Tints, Wheels

Past Cars

Peugeot 205 Gti Mi16 - Main love affair - Build Thread
    Honda CRX SiR - Short lived - Build Thread
    BMW E46 330d Sport
    Peugeot 306 Hdi DTurbo
    VW Gold MK4 TDi
    Vauxhall Nova SR - First car!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    Wheels here New Wheels Are On are 19 x 9.5 rears, 8.8 fronts, all et45. With 225/35/19 tyres.

Lowered on Sport shocks with Eibach Sportline springs, no rubbing. Though hardly slammed.
    How low do the eibach sportline springs go? Should fit, probably need a bit of camber on the rear.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

Rom
    2nd Gear

Status
    Think there 40/50 from memory.
    Im running standard camber, from when i aligned it last year with 17s on. I dont carry passengers really, just gf and toddler.

2004 A3 TDi Sport
    Full Paint Correction

Past Cars

BMW E46 330d Sport
    Peugeot 306 Hdi DTurbo
    VW Gold MK4 TDi

Neutral

Status
    Jarhyd - I have an S Line, but I plan to either go springs or coilovers, want around a 40 to 50mm drop but with a comfortable ride over bumps

Rom - they look nice mate, I have seen some decent reps and like you, although I could get the money together for originals, I'd rather use it elsewhere (2 weeks in the sun perhaps). I would not want 19's though. 18's are what I am after and ideally, I want to avoid spacers and just get low and ride wheels. Happy to stretch to avoid rubbing, just pray I dont hit a kerb, otherwises its all rim and no tyre, had schmidt wheels back in the day and that hurt.

Both front and rear look pretty decent without spacers. How low are the springs? I have been told the springs can be bouncy and coilovers will be better (once again it comes down to cost).

Ash B - Really sorry to ask this, but what do mean when you say adjust the camber?

Neutral

Status

Rom
    2nd Gear

Status

Re: How Wide Can I Go?

The Eibachs give a decent ride tbh, I read up before I bought them, and it was between them and HRs. The Eibachs are lower, like I say, think it's 40 front 50 rear.

Mine is my 'family' car, so need to keep it semi sensible. To get a better ride, I'm guessing high end coilovers, so a massive price difference, I just don't drive it like a hot hatch, so for me, made more sense to spend less, get decent springs, as I just wanted the looks really.

As for the wheels, reading on here, I don't think they do lms in 5x112? Closest is 5x114 with wobble bolts.

My camber is standard, but yeah, you can run negative, so top of wheel sits further in, but too much will wear tyres fast.

Spacers, I'm only having to fit S3 brakes, and only if there small, dont want too much poke
    Last edited by Rom; 4th March 2013 at 11:54.

2004 A3 TDi Sport
    Full Paint Correction

Past Cars

BMW E46 330d Sport
    Peugeot 306 Hdi DTurbo
    VW Gold MK4 TDi

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    The Eibachs give a decent ride tbh, I read up before I bought them, and it was between them and HRs. The Eibachs are lower, like I say, think it's 40 front 50 rear.

Mine is my 'family' car, so need to keep it semi sensible. To get a better ride, I'm guessing high end coilovers, so a massive price difference, I just don't drive it like a hot hatch, so for me, made more sense to spend less, get decent springs, as I just wanted the looks really.

As for the wheels, reading on here, I don't think they do lms in 5x112? Closest is 5x114 with wobble bolts.

My camber is standard, but yeah, you can run negative, so top of wheel sits further in, but too much will wear tyres fast.

Spacers, I'm only having to fit S3 brakes, and only if there small, dont want too much poke
    Same here Rom, this is mainly used by me alone, but on the weekends its a family car. What I do not want is any rubbing or having to crawl over bumps.

I was keen on springs but then I have had mixed reviews. I think initially I need a remap as the car hasn't got enough kick in it for me, at the moment its nice, not mean.

I definitely want the BBS reps, but I guess this car will be a low project. Remap, then wheels and suspension.