How Wide Can I Go?

khan637

Reaction score
Hi All

Looking at replacing my standard audi alloys with some BBS Reps.

I previously (on other cars) have used spacers, but I have seen some 8.5 inch wide front and 9.5 inch rear reps.

I was wondering, how wide can I go on front and back without any issues with rubbing etc?

Hoping to achieve a low and wide look.

I've recently been reading up on wider wheels myself, 8.5 ET40 front and 9.5 ET42 rear, 18 inch.

Apparently you MIGHT get away with it if you were to equip the wheels with the right tyres, such as; 225/40/18 or something along the lines of that, as long as they have a bit of stretch it'll be alright.

Is your car standard height? Mine is dropped 50mm and that's why I'm still abit iffy about purchasing these wheels.

All depends on how low you want to go, size 18 or 19, et, etc. Luke who had his a3 on air ride and Mercedes alphards 18x8.5" ET35 tyres 215/35/18 18x9.5" ET40 tyres 215/40/18. Sat lovely and looked wide from the rear.

Think there 40/50 from memory.
Im running standard camber, from when i aligned it last year with 17s on. I dont carry passengers really, just gf and toddler.

Jarhyd - I have an S Line, but I plan to either go springs or coilovers, want around a 40 to 50mm drop but with a comfortable ride over bumps

Rom - they look nice mate, I have seen some decent reps and like you, although I could get the money together for originals, I'd rather use it elsewhere (2 weeks in the sun perhaps). I would not want 19's though. 18's are what I am after and ideally, I want to avoid spacers and just get low and ride wheels. Happy to stretch to avoid rubbing, just pray I dont hit a kerb, otherwises its all rim and no tyre, had schmidt wheels back in the day and that hurt.

Both front and rear look pretty decent without spacers. How low are the springs? I have been told the springs can be bouncy and coilovers will be better (once again it comes down to cost).

Ash B - Really sorry to ask this, but what do mean when you say adjust the camber?

The Eibachs give a decent ride tbh, I read up before I bought them, and it was between them and HRs. The Eibachs are lower, like I say, think it's 40 front 50 rear.

Mine is my 'family' car, so need to keep it semi sensible. To get a better ride, I'm guessing high end coilovers, so a massive price difference, I just don't drive it like a hot hatch, so for me, made more sense to spend less, get decent springs, as I just wanted the looks really.

As for the wheels, reading on here, I don't think they do lms in 5x112? Closest is 5x114 with wobble bolts.

My camber is standard, but yeah, you can run negative, so top of wheel sits further in, but too much will wear tyres fast.

Spacers, I'm only having to fit S3 brakes, and only if there small, dont want too much poke

Last edited:
The Eibachs give a decent ride tbh, I read up before I bought them, and it was between them and HRs. The Eibachs are lower, like I say, think it's 40 front 50 rear.

Mine is my 'family' car, so need to keep it semi sensible. To get a better ride, I'm guessing high end coilovers, so a massive price difference, I just don't drive it like a hot hatch, so for me, made more sense to spend less, get decent springs, as I just wanted the looks really.

As for the wheels, reading on here, I don't think they do lms in 5x112? Closest is 5x114 with wobble bolts.

My camber is standard, but yeah, you can run negative, so top of wheel sits further in, but too much will wear tyres fast.

Spacers, I'm only having to fit S3 brakes, and only if there small, dont want too much poke

Same here Rom, this is mainly used by me alone, but on the weekends its a family car. What I do not want is any rubbing or having to crawl over bumps.

I was keen on springs but then I have had mixed reviews. I think initially I need a remap as the car hasn't got enough kick in it for me, at the moment its nice, not mean.

I definitely want the BBS reps, but I guess this car will be a low project. Remap, then wheels and suspension.