Help/advice needed on sorting 'Deadlock see driver manual' message

Janos

Reaction score
I have recently bought an A3 sportback 1.6 TDI sport 61 reg jan12. Great car but when I switch ignition off the message 'deadlock see driver manual' appears on the display. Contacted the dealership and they said this is an A3 thing and that there isn't really anything that can be done to switch it off. Is this true?
If it is I guess I can deal with it but if anyway of sorting would like to know.

I get it too on my 61 plate S3.

Waste of time showing it, and to be honest , if i've taken the keys out anyway and I'm in the process of getting out of the car normally so i pay no notice whatsoever.

Its just one of the numerous comfort warnings that vag seem to think we need, remember they have to cater for every level of intelligence :)

It's meant as a safety warning - two reasons:

1. It's too easy to deadlock someone in the car - you get out, and lock the car using the remote with one click - all your passengers are deadlocked in the car, with no way of getting out. If an emergency happens, they are locked in the car and have to try and smash a window to try and get out.

2. Many other cars use the logic of 1 press of the lock button to lock normally, 2 presses of the lock button to deadlock. With the A3 the reverse logic is true. 1 press deadlocks, 2 presses normal locks. So again, it's easy to deadlock inadvertently, or to mistakenly not deadlock when you wanted to.

All makes sense now. Thank you for the help all :)

Thanks veeeight, I didn't know about the two press thing! In fact, I didn't really know what the deadlock thing was, either - I'll try to avoid locking my girlfriend in the car again.

An easy way to find out is to lock yourself in the car with the lock button on the remote.

Can you open the doors from the inside?

:D

Reactions: sentinal13