Stage 2 hybrid turbo dynamics

TDI140

Reaction score
Im looking at a stage two turbo dynamics hybrid turbo for my 2.0tdi BKD ive been looking on forums all over the net to find a car running that turbo but haven't found one has anyone actually bought that turbo or heard of anyone who has i want to make sure the turbo is safe for my car and good quality as i dont want the turbo to be faulty after install as thats car downtime and more money for removal and also what sort of power will it map to with all my mods as it says 230-240bhp on the site
MDX481-X Exchange Hybrid Turbo* Stage 2 for VAG 2.0TDI 140bhp [MDX481-X] - £675.00 : Turbo Dynamics, Turbochargers & Performance Products

Yeah that turbo's fine as its been installed on others cars, I have one to fit on our SB aswell, had the stage 1 on one of our cars for ages without issues.

So its a good deal for me to buy it and then send my original oem turbo off, also is it a direct swap over turbo so it bolts up exactly the same as my OEM turbo and will the boost hoses connect up the same way ? Because i dont want hassle with the hoses and manifold etc

Yes same turbo exactly, just different internals.

Sounds like a really good deal if i can get near to 230bhp

230, if you want that, then get stage 1 as thats upto 240, no point going stage 2 if not needed to get above 240.

I want ti get stage 2 as i want to buy the dark side developements 80% flow injectors after i get bored because i get bored really fast and need that boost plus if i do the injectors my car will feel more unique to other a3's so all in all 260bhp-280bhp is in sight but just need the cash as i just bought a big home :-(

i had that turbo fitted to my old audi a3 sportback , on initial tuning i got 231 bhp , had to source a 4bar map sensor . last rr tune showed 263.1 bhp .
sold car 2 weeks later got a phone call from a mechanic asking where turbo had been purchased from . he then explained to me that the guy who now owned it had melted the exhaust turbine and snapped the shaft .

i was gutted ,but glad it wasn't my bill to pay . they must have thrashed the nuts out of it constantly

i had that turbo fitted to my old audi a3 sportback , on initial tuning i got 231 bhp , had to source a 4bar map sensor . last rr tune showed 263.1 bhp .
sold car 2 weeks later got a phone call from a mechanic asking where turbo had been purchased from . he then explained to me that the guy who now owned it had melted the exhaust turbine and snapped the shaft .

i was gutted ,but glad it wasn't my bill to pay . they must have thrashed the nuts out of it constantly
it melted the turbo compressor ? Did you have a decat stainless steel exhaust or standard ? Also ive seen many people running this turbo and dont seem to have any problems with it, also the exhaust compressor on the turbo has to have good flow aka decat stainless at least 2.75" otherwise the gases are going to be built up and obviously backfire into the turbo which will build up major amount of heat and then compressor melting and shaft melting, NHN has said he is running the turbo in a car without problems

always thought these hybrid turbos were known as " chocolate turbos" and tended not to last for more then 10k? Mate had one in his vw and that went after 7k!

Theres loads of people on here with hybrid turbos from turbo dynamics and they seem to be fine

Wish i could mate ive got big extension plans for my house so dont want to trade my car in and pay 10k more for an s3 rather keep the 10k for my 130k extension bill, id be happy with the stage 2 turbo and performance clutch and then custom map with dyno result by cctuning and ill order the parts through them and have them fit everything,

also NHN what clutch kit should i buy to suit the turbo i want a dual mass flywheel clutch kit because i dont want the loud single mass flywheel chatter, any chance of a link to the kit mate ?

i got above kit on mine did chatter a bit before it bedded in but seems fine had it on for 20k and my AET hybrid for 25k best thing i ever done as i do high mileage and just couldnt afford to run a petrol

I too have SB single mass clutch fitted and its not completely silent!,
why not fit hybrid and get it mapped (keep cash aside for new clutch) you might find your oe clutch is ok,
of course there are MANY things to consider,like mileage on oe clutch,driving style, and how aggressive your map is,
just remember you will be £650 ish for hybrid, £950 ish for clutch, £480 (darkside live mapping)mapping, exhaust( although I still have standard exhaust, minus cat & centre box) approx £500, then of course if you want to do it right you will need better brakes&suspension,
bill is going up&up, plus injectors at £1000, it's not a cheap hobby this :(
oh nearly forgot, still to pay someone to fit it all :(

I too have SB single mass clutch fitted and its not completely silent!,
why not fit hybrid and get it mapped (keep cash aside for new clutch) you might find your oe clutch is ok,
of course there are MANY things to consider,like mileage on oe clutch,driving style, and how aggressive your map is,
just remember you will be £650 ish for hybrid, £950 ish for clutch, £480 (darkside live mapping)mapping, exhaust( although I still have standard exhaust, minus cat & centre box) approx £500, then of course if you want to do it right you will need better brakes&suspension,
bill is going up&up, plus injectors at £1000, it's not a cheap hobby this :(
oh nearly forgot, still to pay someone to fit it all :(
my remap bloke said dont go for single mass as its too loud hes bought a dual mass for his s3 1.8t running 370bhp,
ive got a stainless steel exhaust system with decat and im getting back box removed soon, ive got a panel filter, and golf gti edition 30 brakes with brembo pads, so im pretty much ready for the hybrid turbo and clutch as my car is driving well at the moment ive only got 82k mileage on the car so not really high mileage saying its a 2006 model

Also just recently had intercooler replaced and all boost hoses cleaned and a catch can installed, im only going for a turbo as my turbo is eating oil at the moment which is showing signs of it going also at the higher end of the rev range i can hear a slight screaming noise which sounds like turbo aswel

Thats procey saying i only need clutch and turbo and then remap £1600 for the turbo and clutch then spoke to my remap and fitter hes only charging me £100 for adjustment rolling Road tune for the new remap, do you think i should buy a 4bar map sensor ?

Also £170 for fitting turbo and clutch

Wish i could mate ive got big extension plans for my house so dont want to trade my car in and pay 10k more for an s3 rather keep the 10k for my 130k extension bill, id be happy with the stage 2 turbo and performance clutch and then custom map with dyno result by cctuning and ill order the parts through them and have them fit everything,

also NHN what clutch kit should i buy to suit the turbo i want a dual mass flywheel clutch kit because i dont want the loud single mass flywheel chatter, any chance of a link to the kit mate ?
you need 12-13k for an S3 nowadays if you compare that to your car + extra money you will spend to do all the BT mods difference wont be more than what 2-3k tops?

Exactly 12-13k that i will spend on my house, also im going to order my turbo, clutch and a new milltek decat system as mine was a used one and was slightly battered £2250 shpuld cover it take 2.5k just incase