Audi A3 Manual, Possible Gear/Clutch Stick?

revilo

Reaction score
I am having trouble changing gear in my Manual 2005 2.0TDi A3 (6 speed).

When I try to put it into gear (hot or cold, but slightly worse when cold), it takes a fair amount of effort to get it in, quite often grinding. I have recently had the Master Cylinder, Clutch & Flywheel changed and the gearbox (gears and syncros) refurbed; this was due to the inability to select the first and reverse gear at times).

When I first got the car back it had a rubbing ('snickering') sound when the clutch warmed up, the tech who worked on it removed the backing plate on the clutch to fix this.

2 months the car ran fine; however, last week the gears got progressively worse. There is also a sound (like a 'knock') when I release the clutch with no gear selected. Also, there is a noticeable vibration in the clutch when in gears 1 - 4.

Any ideas team? ಠ_ಠ

Last edited:
Apart from the clutch pedal vibrating, nothing really vibrates more than I would expect..

I'ts been suggested that possibly the slave cylinder needs replacing, does that sound about right?

Sounds like a slave cylinder to me. Happened to mine and it's located within the bell housing so it's a gearbox off job. Ask the garage if they replaced the slave cylinder.