Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    5th Gear

Status

Lights under door handles?

Any body done this mod?

I'm intrested in doing it since I had a BMW with then on and thought it was a good idea and looked cool.

Would it be a case of drill a hole under each handle silicone an led in and wire it up to the interior bulbs so when you open car they come on?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

Nice idea would be interested if anyone has done this too?
    A3 8P 2008 2.0 TDI 170BHP S Line
    :-Remapped to 210BHP
    :-Pressed Number plates
    :-Xenon Lights 4300K

:-Footwell Light Retrofit
    :-LED Interior Conversion
    :-Stainless Exhaustf
    :-DPF Removed
    :-RS4 Bucket Seats Retrimmed
    :-Boot Tool and Air Compressor Build in the making
    :-Drilled and Grooved Discs and Brembo Pads
    :-Callipers Painted Red
    :-
    BlackVue DR380G-HD Fron camera

Different Gear

Status
    Not sure, but I noticed quite a while ago someone selling the complete door handle which already had the light fitted so maybe it's better/easier to buy new handles (although probably more expensive)
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

3rd Gear

Status
    Could you not just buy the sticky led strips, cut them down to size and possibly thread the wire through the door handle instead of drilling holes?

5th Gear

Status

But where would you thread the wire if you haven't drilled a hole for it to go through?

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm sure the door handles arnt an air tight unit, there must be a big enough gap where the handle is held on the surround that oes through into the door to operate the mechanism in the door.

5th Gear

Status

Ill have a look tonight when I get back from work, what's it like threading a wire through the door into the footwell area?

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    you wouldnt need to take it to the footwell... wire it into the puddle lights under the door
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

5th Gear

Status

I've thought about that but thought they only come on when the door is opened?

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

hmmm you may be right there... well what about the ambient lights on the inside door handle? they light up when the car lights come on! thats where i have tapped on my illuminated Bose grills and they work perfectly
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale

5th Gear

Status

Sounds good, I take it I just take a wire off for live and earth and tap onto those?

5th Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    hmmm you may be right there... well what about the ambient lights on the inside door handle? they light up when the car lights come on! thats where i have tapped on my illuminated Bose grills and they work perfectly
    Just checked and my inside door handles don't light up in the car when I press the unlock button

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

ahhh yes I also have retrofitted the auto lights to mine so I get the coming home lights which lights up everything when I unlock the car or get out of the car, you would ideally want coming home to make sure that the light comes on when the car is unlocked
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:

Items for Sale

5th Gear

Status

What's the estimate price on that mod?

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

The full auto lights install is around £500, but you can do the coming home/leaving home hack so that the lights come on when you unlock the car... Only thing is that they will come on in the daytime too as there isn't a light sensor fitted to tell it when it's dark
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:

Items for Sale

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    The full auto lights install is around £500, but you can do the coming home/leaving home hack so that the lights come on when you unlock the car... Only thing is that they will come on in the daytime too as there isn't a light sensor fitted to tell it when it's dark
    Sorry to sneak in here, Can this hack be achieved with the with lets say my 2012 S3 8P3 yet? I heard it wasnt do-able because of this that and the other after about 09 plate?
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

6th Gear

Status
    I have the Coming/Leaving home mod done on my 09 plate without a problem.

As Ash says, they do come on during the day due to the lack of a light sensor.

JS3
    1st Gear

Status
    Just had the full LED interior light install by jb00 on here (JMB Retrofits). Good kits, looks good and a great install. The lights under the handles are on when the side lights are on, and the footwell lights can be programmed to be adjusted brightness from 0% (off) to 100% fully on whilst the side lights are on. The lights under the handles arent as bright as what I thought they would be but it finishes off the interior light mod nicely. It needs a new handle. This was installed on a 2010 S3.
    2010 S3, Sprint Blue, S-Tronic, RNSE, Cruise Control, Interior Light Pack, Upgraded LED Interior Bulbs, Heated Seats, Hill Hold, Boot Buddy, Fog Turn Lights, Revo Stage 1, De-Wipered

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    Sorry to sneak in here, Can this hack be achieved with the with lets say my 2012 S3 8P3 yet? I heard it wasnt do-able because of this that and the other after about 09 plate?
    Not yet found a solution for the coming home hack on the newer cars, the auto lights install is the only way for the moment

Quote Originally Posted by JS3 View Post
    Just had the full LED interior light install by jb00 on here (JMB Retrofits). Good kits, looks good and a great install. The lights under the handles are on when the side lights are on, and the footwell lights can be programmed to be adjusted brightness from 0% (off) to 100% fully on whilst the side lights are on. The lights under the handles arent as bright as what I thought they would be but it finishes off the interior light mod nicely. It needs a new handle. This was installed on a 2010 S3.
    the light under the door handle that the op wants is for the outer (exterior) door handle. Not the interior one that comes with the lighting pack
    though the interior ones do look sweet
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:

Items for Sale

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Not yet found a solution for the coming home hack on the newer cars, the auto lights install is the only way for the moment
    Ah, Balls.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

JS3
    1st Gear

Status
    Ah ok....my bad!
    2010 S3, Sprint Blue, S-Tronic, RNSE, Cruise Control, Interior Light Pack, Upgraded LED Interior Bulbs, Heated Seats, Hill Hold, Boot Buddy, Fog Turn Lights, Revo Stage 1, De-Wipered

2nd Gear

Status
    Any more info on the full auto lights retrofit? So used to having it on all my other cars!

1st Gear

Status
    What's the hack and where can I get it?

cheers
    A3 2.0TDI S LINE, Awesome remapped, ITG, Milltek, S3 Front + Rear bumpers + Sideskirts, Cruise and slammed on coilovers. NO SMOKE - NO POKE!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Does anyone have a part number for the inside OEM led door handles??

5th Gear

Status
    Wiring would have to be done to the home coming lights through door card and into the dash sounds like a long hard time consuming mod but would love to see someone carry it out with instructions
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

5th Gear

Status
    I might have to give it a bash, anybody recommend me some LEDs to sit under the handle?