Opinions of painting costs?

A3-black

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of fitting S3 parts to my A3 8p3.

I've just taken the complete side skirts including doors blades that are brand new, rear S3 bumper that is used and needs some prep as well as new parking sensors to be colour coded.

I've been quoted £500 for just painting the parts. What do you think?

over priced in my opinion.
£100 a part still doesnt come to that cost. i get bumpers sprayed at £80 and thats in London where its known to be expensive. had my whole car resprayed for £650 in b'ham and the work is spot on...

Don't think it's too bad if your paying full price with vat and everything. Vat will be £100 of it and if they charge £50 an hour and there may be a days work in the job I can imagine.

Some one nudged the back of my a3 and I got a bill for 380 only really cracked the paint. I didn't pay that btw it was of there insurance.

Two of my mates work in the same body shop so they do other paint and body work for me cheap but paint and materials are still usually quite expensive for what you get.

£100 a part still doesnt come to that cost. i get bumpers sprayed at £80 and thats in London where its known to be expensive. had my whole car resprayed for £650 in b'ham and the work is spot on...

£650 for a full repaint...... That's cheap too cheap almost !?

I thought it was a bit expensive to be honest. If it was £500 including fitting I probably would have booked it in. But £500 for painting alone seemed a bit much considering everything but the rear bumper is brand new.

£650 for a full respray is amazing! It's amazing how much price on paintwork varies.

You get what you pay for with paint.
People can get cheap work done, from a friend etc. But in the real world, for decent work, it costs.

You can't really compare cheap blow overs to full resprays. There is a world of difference between masking up and a quick respray, and removing trims, glass etc and doing a full respray.

How used is the bumper? Any repair work will add to cost.

You get what you pay for with paint.
People can get cheap work done, from a friend etc. But in the real world, for decent work, it costs.

You can't really compare cheap blow overs to full resprays. There is a world of difference between masking up and a quick respray, and removing trims, glass etc and doing a full respray.

How used is the bumper? Any repair work will add to cost.

I do a agree that you get what you pay for I've certainly paid a few quid so far getting all the parts together.

The parts are all off the car thought and the side skirts are new. The back bumper needs a very small amount of plastic welding doing to a 5mm crack at the top then prep and repainting. Does £500 seen right considering what's involved?

Im not too sure, ill ask our paint shop tom, but when you think its £75-£125 for most smart repairs, bumper scuffs etc. Thats not a lot really, though maybe on the high side of normal, unless they are a stellar place.

The side skirts you could get away with not being perfect, but the bumper needs to be spot on.
Its impossible to knwo what they will do.
Ive got a bumper im doing at the mo for mine. Lot more work than yours, but i do it all myself (im a Tech, but good at most stuff using my hands tbh)
Id be looking at the plastic welding, then will need skimming, depending on any other chips, scratches etc, maybe high build and wet flat the whole thing (which gives a better finish imo) then paint.
Skirts will probably just be scotched and painted.

That wasnt a dig at you btw Ash, you know i <3 you :wub:.

Thanks for the response guys I've taken it to another approved body shop that did the Mrs car last year and the work was spot on. Ill see what price they come back with tomorrow. At least I can compare the two then.

Hi sorry to disturb but i live in London and need my car bumpers sprayed,were can i get them sprayed for £80?
Thanks
Sergio

Reactions: Lenos