Hybrid turbo or no?

tr1ck

Reaction score
Basically I have a 56plate 2.0L Tdi 170bhp, my turbo is whistling quite abit so I don't think it's going to last much longer than a couple of months.
So instead of replacing it with another standard part I was thinking of a hybrid turbo.
Is there any advantages of having a hybrid turbo and are they much more expensive?
Also would I need to modify anything for it to fit or would it just bolt on?
Thanks any help would be great :)

Yes big advantage, capable of alot more power, you would probably need a new clutch and remap to make the most of it

not much profit unless uprated injectors are fitted tbh.
he wont need injectors u less he wants even more torque and bhp but a direct replacement hybrid turbo will do just fine with a uprated clutch and new dual mass fly wheel, 170pd with hybrid from somewhere like turbo technics will get you 230 -250bhp after remap and depending on what other mods you have such as decat exhaust etc etc approx cost would be £1400 without rxhaust thats what ive priced up for my pd140 when my turbo dies

Reactions: martinivw
he wont need injectors u less he wants even more torque and bhp but a direct replacement hybrid turbo will do just fine with a uprated clutch and new dual mass fly wheel, 170pd with hybrid from somewhere like turbo technics will get you 230 -250bhp after remap and depending on what other mods you have such as decat exhaust etc etc approx cost would be £1400 without rxhaust thats what ive priced up for my pd140 when my turbo dies

£1400 I take it that's fitted.
Any idea of how much a hybrid turbo would be just to buy and where from?
Don't know yet whether to buy just a standard replacement. Weighing up my options still

220 is maximum for pd170 injectors I'm afraid and that can be reached without having a hybrid turbo fitted. Stage 2 is up to thier limits anyway so whats the point in wasting money?

220 is maximum for pd170 injectors I'm afraid and that can be reached without having a hybrid turbo fitted. Stage 2 is up to thier limits anyway so whats the point in wasting money?
depends on which hybrid he fits ;)
Darkside GTB Turbo Kit for 2.0 16v TDI PPD & Common Rail Engines - Darkside Developments

seriously though, I agree with Red,
fit a standard turbo,remove dpf if u have one and remap to 220 hp
if you go down the route of upgrading your injectors you will need a lot more ££££ :(

Last edited:
depends on which hybrid he fits ;)
Darkside GTB Turbo Kit for 2.0 16v TDI PPD & Common Rail Engines - Darkside Developments

seriously though, I agree with Red,
fit a standard turbo,remove dpf if u have one and remap to 220 hp
if you go down the route of upgrading your injectors you will need a lot more ££££ :(

Is all that other stuff in you link needed to have a hybrid turbo ?

Stainless Tubular Exhaust Manifold
3” Stainless Downpipe with Stainless 6" Flexi and Dual Fitment Flange
Genuine VW OEM Manifold Gasket
Genuine VW OEM Downpipe Gasket
Darkside Braided Oil Feed Line
Darkside Oil Return Line
Genuine VW OEM Oil Return Gasket
Silicone Turbo Inlet Pipe Connector Hose
Stainless Clamps
2.25" Silicone 60° Outlet Pipe
All other nuts and bolts required for fitment

I thought you just needed the hybid turbo....
bolts required for fitment

Well in that case then. Where's the best place to buy a standard turbo? Audi dealers will be expensive and I don't really fancy buying one from eBay

Is all that other stuff in you link needed to have a hybrid turbo ?

Stainless Tubular Exhaust Manifold
3” Stainless Downpipe with Stainless 6" Flexi and Dual Fitment Flange
Genuine VW OEM Manifold Gasket
Genuine VW OEM Downpipe Gasket
Darkside Braided Oil Feed Line
Darkside Oil Return Line
Genuine VW OEM Oil Return Gasket
Silicone Turbo Inlet Pipe Connector Hose
Stainless Clamps
2.25" Silicone 60° Outlet Pipe
All other nuts and bolts required for fitment

I thought you just needed the hybid turbo....
bolts required for fitment

for hybrid you don't need all the above,
the tubular manifold for example, is only needed if your fitting the GTB turbos from that page, the GTB 2260 (3.0tdi turbo ) or GTB 2566 which is a hybrid version of the 3.0 turbo !!!!, the 3" downpipe is needed to increase exhaust from turbo of course.
my BKD has a hybrid version of standard turbo (bigger compresser wheel) which comes on standard manifold, oil change is recommended when fitting new turbo, as is new gaskets, oil feed line & oil return line my car also has standard exhaust fitted minus the cat all I need now is a new map and I will hopefully see 220ish hp :),
check out this link for a great deal
Darkside 1.9 & 2.0 TDI Budget Turbo Kit inc Fitting and Mapping - Darkside Developments

Also anyone know what the turbos are like to remove and replace?

£1400 just for oarts ive priced up and thats without an egr delete and remap price after fitting with all of it put. 2K to the side
ive just had a new intercooler due to mine being damaged but i would have changed it for a new one anyway if i was buying a hybrid as i found out mine leaked lots oil after removal which was disturbing so my budget fir hybrid after my turbo dies is £1600-£2000 everything fitted ! Ready to burn oil and release the torque