EM TuningSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Help my a3 2.0 tdi 140 loss of power

Hi I was driver my a3 tdi 140 2006 today doing about 60mph and it just loss power as if the turbo had stopped working it was very sluggish driving home. Once I got home turn the engine off left it 10 mins and it was fine again drove a few miles and same again any suggestion guys.

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Sounds like limp mode fella, was this going up hills by any chance?

Maybe stuck vanes on turbo, so needs logging, if its vanes its going to show an overboost condition usually, if its this then 2 options, remove & clean or remove & replace with a clean one.

I can assist with a cleaned turbo if its the BKD engine, may even be able to replace it aswell.

Be very careful driving it, as it could blow & cause even more mess & damage.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ye I was going up hill the both times it happened where will find the vanes on the turbo?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Inside the turbo, so has to be removed, dont use those cleaning kits as they hardly ever work & if they do, its only for a short period anyway & back to square one with overboost/limp issues.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Inside the turbo, so has to be removed, dont use those cleaning kits as they hardly ever work & if they do, its only for a short period anyway & back to square one with overboost/limp issues.
    how much would it cost to get this cleaned?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Well turbo has to come of, its 5-6 hours job to remove/refit & also if something doesnt come undone because of all the heat etc over the years, then a replacement needs fitting, I would suggest removal & fit a repalcement thats already been cleaned tbh to save any hassle on the day.

Hourly rates differ, so best to ask around, if you're interested in a turbo give me a shout.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Well turbo has to come of, its 5-6 hours job to remove/refit & also if something doesnt come undone because of all the heat etc over the years, then a replacement needs fitting, I would suggest removal & fit a repalcement thats already been cleaned tbh to save any hassle on the day.

Hourly rates differ, so best to ask around, if you're interested in a turbo give me a shout.
    ok cheers mate how much we looking at for the turbo ££££

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    PM please to discuss prices.

2nd Gear

Status
    same problem i had mate had the turbo exchanged for recon unit at turbo clinic leeds about £330 return courior inc or they do offer drive in and drive out exchange at their workshop its been great sinse

5th Gear

Status
    It sounds like turbo just like NHN is saying, you will need new or rebuilt turbo, exhaust manifold gasket, oil feed pipe and new egr cooler gasket i think not sure with the last one, easily a 5hour job for replacement but rebuild on your existing faulty turbo can depend on who and what company does it, if its gone then i say go for hybrid turbo its a sign telling you hybrid
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok thanks ill have to look in to it all I can see now is ££££

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI140 View Post
    oil feed pipe
    As long as you do a flow test, then it shouldnt need replacing, its usually when people do them up to tight, it twists the heads & basically ruins the tight seal, but upto the car owner tbh, but I've changed a few now without any issues or leaks.

5th Gear

Status
    If you have gurantee on a turbo charger from a Company they require you to fit an oil feed pipe if you dont they void you guarantee and if the turbo charger fails you have no guarantee due to not changing the feed pipe have a look on websites it says but they wont ever tell you because they are crafty
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    They advise to change it, but I've dealt with Turbo Dynamics & Turbo Technics technical staff on numerous occasions & they both have said as long as you check the flow rate is ok & its sealed, then they are happy with this, but thats at the discretion of the fitter tbh.

5th Gear

Status
    I would get it changed for peace of mind and also its only a few quid which is minor saying you have just coughed up for a turbo

Reverse Gear

Status
    Has anyone tried that Innotec Turbo Cleaner Kit?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukebry88 View Post
    It will only clean the bottom half (if that) of the turbo as the fluid sits there. Also the gaskets supplied are paper and are useless. All the cleaner leaks out the sides...why they didn't supply metal gaskets I'll never know

Like others have said, the quickest and cheapest long term fix is to replace the turbo. Cleaning it is only delaying the inevitable unless you remove it and clean it on the bench

I had my turbo go pop on my old Golf and I was stuck over 150 miles from home........don't let the turbo fail on you when you have the chance to nip it in the bud now
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

1st Gear

Status

Help my a3 2.0 tdi 140 loss of power

Quote Originally Posted by Lukebry88 View Post
    Just like the post above totally agree this stuff is no good for this job.

Paper seal is a complete waste of time mine is a Quattro too and with a prop shaft in the way I nearly just walked out and out the car on eBay!

Just get a new one fitted so glad I did car feels like new

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok thanks I thought it might be worth a try looks like a new one it is then.