Radio Reception Problem - HELP!

mowog80

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Audi A3 Sprotback with a Symphony 2 headunit, I have a issue with my radio reception.

The radio reception has always been poor since I got the car 2 years ago, but was okay.

I have just installed some amplifiers in the boot running off the original headunit via it pre-outs. Now when I turn the system on the radio reception goes completely but is slightly better with the boot lid open. Having read other posts on here I had the rear screen replaced yesterday (3 of the lower elements were not working and looked damaged), but this has not fixed the radio reception issue. I have scanned for fault codes and everything is clear.

I am guessing I need to replace the diversity amp, upper screen amp or diversity selector. This could obviously get very expensive if I replace these and the problem still persists

Any advice would be greatly received!

Thanks,

Nick

Welcome to the site Nick

What year is the car & does the head unit have silver knobs?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

It's a 2006 A3 without chrome knobs, to my knowledge it the original radio for the car. I intend to upgrade to the RNS-E at some point and understand that my antenna setup should suit this (8P4035225A and 8P4035225B) but as the radio doesn't seem to work I want to get this fixed first. It would appear the aerial is picking up interference from my amplifiers (these are high end Audison Thesis amplifiers).

Any ideas? I am toying with ordering both aerail amps, but it could also be the selector or cables! Should I see faults when I scan with VCDS?

Cheers,

Nick

I would wire a speaker direct to the head unit front speakers input, remove fuses to the rear amps & then test antenna system.

I hold those amps in stock for repairs I do on site, I also have some mk1 rns-e's for sale for a good price, so maybe I could look at your issues at same time as upgrade head unit?

PM if of interest.