Roof bar confusion

Robcobras

Reaction score
Hi there, after recently switching from a vectra to an audi I realised my roof bars wouldn't fit, simple I thought sell old ones buy audi fit ones. One thing. The audi has a completely smooth roof and no place to mount roof bars? Am I missing something or can audis no longer be fitted with roof racks on the a3? It's a 59 plate if that helps. I understand you can buy inflatable ones but they be no good with a roof box. :confused:

thanks rob

Rob, I believe that the roof bars are not completly smooth, there are strategically placed indentations on the inside surface. These I presume will fit into posts on the special Audi roofbar clamps. In other words the Audi roofbars are different from the more common ones you can buy. If you want to mount a (heavy?) roofbox, I would recommend you buying the OEM roofbars for safety.

Brilliant thanks for the reply haven't noticed the indents but I'll take a closer look. Prob hardly ever use it but once a year on Hols etc but always worth having.....

thank you

I've got a set of Whispbar roofbars, they do fitments for most makes I think. I actually got mine for my BMW so haven't gotten around to buying the new feet for them yet as I hardly ever use them, same with the roofbox thinking about it!

If its the sportback, I could always retrofit the audi roof bars, which would then allow the use of the proper roof bars/fixings.