DPF Regeneration?

J17_KNO

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Tonight I had a strange experience. I was out speaking to some friends in my car (170 tdi). I went for a quick drive to the local tesco (through a village, never went over 2000 revs).

I then sat with the engine off for roughly half an hour. Upon starting the car up to head home several comments were made as to the idle being rough, more oil was suggested however no oil light was on and I checked the oil at start of week and level seemed normal. Also there was a bit of smoke from the exhaust and a horrible smell, hard to describe but toxic might be close.

From reading different things online tonight, I wondered if it was a possible DPF regeneration, however I was not aware that this could be done upon start up or if the smell I described matches a regen. Is this possible?

Also as it is a 170 I believe there is a recall for the injectors, could this be the possible cause of the rough idle and smoke/smell?

Hoping it is something like the DPF regenerating or injectors! Anything else and I think I might sell up for a petrol (I have only owned the diesel a week!!)

Thanks

Justin

Sounds like a dpf regen, relax, see how is over the weekend.

Thanks for the quick reply bud! I'll keep an eye on it and see how it is. Definitely feel more reassured now!