95 or 97 octane.....

I

imported_tobycruse

Ok, maybe its just me but over the past few months i ahve been using 97 octane instead of the regular 95 and i HAVE noticed a difference. Is this usual??
The main difference i have noticed it the car is generally more pully and quicker through the rev range. I am driving a 2.0 fsi, has any one else noticed a difference when changing petrol octanes????

Very much so, my 3.2 was a totally different animal on 98 octane!

Tesco are launching 99 Octane in the South East in November apparently. Wonder if this will make any further difference as I know my 3.2 is much happier on 97/98 instead of 95. Not so much in fuel consumption but the responsiveness seems to be improved. The car is designed to run on 97/98 though so might not be much in it. And would supermarket fuel be as good as Optimax for example, which is what I usually fill up with.

That tesco 99 is dog :dung:
i used it for 2 weeks and there was no more performance difference than regular 95.

Put Optimax back in, just to see if it was all in my head, and it certainly wasn't!!!!! it was back to its old self!

You don't need to but it's recommended. I run mine on BP ultimate which I think is 97? Runs beautifully

I get 290-310 from a tank of Optimax and no more than 260 from a tank of regular unleaded. Car is more responsive (or maybe I've just fallen for Shell's advertising campaign /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Any reports of supermarket fuel being crap are rubbish. It comes from the same refinery as everyone elses. I've recently switched from Optimax as my local Tesco has started stocking the Super 99 at 3p a litre less and it is noticably better. Car pulls a lot better in the midrange which is strange as you'd expect it to be better top end.

What kind of driving to you do Booster to get that? I do mainly city start stop, short journeys 4-7miles and in my Lex I get about 280, so will it be about the same do you think?

[ QUOTE ]
Any reports of supermarket fuel being crap are rubbish. It comes from the same refinery as everyone elses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was discussed here a week or two back, that there's 6 refineries, and it's the way the petrol is stored (and the additives added after coming from the refinery) that make the difference?

I still pretty much refuse to believe that fuel,itself,can make a difference as it goes against years of talking to respected engine tuners (bike tuners yes,but it's all the same).
Increasing the octane of your petrol should only be done as a result of tuning,usually to counteract the risk of detonation.
Until I see independent proof that 'fancy' fuel makes a difference (petrol or diesel) I'll stick to whatever is the easiest pump to park at.

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of driving to you do Booster to get that? I do mainly city start stop, short journeys 4-7miles and in my Lex I get about 280, so will it be about the same do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the same as you. I'm around the city all day seeing stealers (I work in vehicle finance) and round town fuel economy from new was around 22mpg, 9k on the clock and its now 25.5. On a run it used to give 28mpg and is now around 30-33 depending on motorway or A roads.

[ QUOTE ]
I still pretty much refuse to believe that fuel,itself,can make a difference

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a few misfires on 'bad fuel'... just after filling up at a station that I'd never heard of before.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a few misfires on 'bad fuel'... just after filling up at a station that I'd never heard of before.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a different scenario altogether.
Merely increasing the octane rating,without making other changes to the engine so that it can take advantage of it,makes no difference (IMO).

In my book,it's like buying fancy pet food.It just makes the owner feel better but ,then again,if those that use fancy fuel perceive a difference then who's to argue...

Any of the recent 1.8T & 2.0T engines require super unleaded to give their FULL potential. Running them on normal unleaded will REDUCE the power they produce as the ECU backs off when it detects the detonation Bowfer talks about. By running the highest octane you are purely getting the maximum the standard engine will give, not more....

The fuels all come from the 8 refineries around the UK, some supermarkets have deals for 'special' fuels, like Tesco, where the refiner, adds additional stuff to the fuel to make 99 octane. Most of the std unleaded is all the same, too hard otherwise. The biggest problem is water in the fuel storage tanks, which is the major source of performance degradation.

[ QUOTE ]
The fuels all come from the 8 refineries around the UK, some supermarkets have deals for 'special' fuels, like Tesco, where the refiner, adds additional stuff to the fuel to make 99 octane. Most of the std unleaded is all the same, too hard otherwise. The biggest problem is water in the fuel storage tanks, which is the major source of performance degradation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you bothered trying any of the fancy diesel ?
I have (not deliberately,purely because I go to whatever pump is empty!).
I didn't notice a blind bit of difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but surely this indicates that there IS a difference in fuel that you get from any pump.

The Shell Extra is a slightly different brew to the std 'City Diesels', seems to run well in my wife's diesel Modus, not tried it in the Audi. Never tried the BP Ultimate, too fecking expensive.

The other thing to do is buy a tin of cetane booster and see what that does.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but surely this indicates that there IS a difference in fuel that you get from any pump.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the discussion is about octane rating,so any comparisons/opinions about whether that makes a difference has to assume that the fuels are of a given quality,not contaminated in any way.

You got contaminated fuel,so the octane rating was irrelevant.It could have been avgas (which I used to run racing two strokes on) and it would have been crap.

I wish I ****** well knew HOW to change my avatar... the page for my settings doesn't seem to have it anywhere (sorry, O.T. but can you help?). My current avatar is SO last generation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (or are you on about my TSN avatar?)

i know, my cab went 8 months ago and i'm still stuck with it!

3.2Q DSG sat-nav+, TV.

Click on 'your home' at the top.
Scroll down to 'Personal information' and 'edit'
Scroll down to 'avatars'
type the URL like to your new avatar and hit 'submit'

To get a url for an avatar, right click the picture you find and copy/paste the URL the comes up with that window.

SlimBloke, i thought you were a web designer...SHAME!!!!!ON!!!! YOU!!

ps: Hows clerkenwell BTW?

i know were way off topic but i always get this message when i try to change it:
"it does not appear that this was submitted from the proper form."

Modern, well, EFI VAG's post 89, will be able to use 97 Octane petrol.

As stated before, its not so much that the car will take advantage from the 97 Octane fuel, but using lower octane fuel will DISADVANTAGE the cars performance.

Lower Octane petrol will be prone to detonation at an earlier point than the higher stuff, so the timing will be retarded accordingly. Retarded ignition = reduced power.

VAG cars for the european market leave the factory already tuned for 97 Octane, so no further tuning is neccessary. 97+ Octane fuel, unless your car is remapped for such, is pointless.

[ QUOTE ]
Click on 'your home' at the top.
Scroll down to 'Personal information'

[/ QUOTE ]

I get to my home, but don't see any Personal information link... here's what I get at the bottom of the page (again, sorry for being OT)

YourHome.jpg

Our new pad rocks, thanks (big brother)... lots of cool bars and cafes. It's like Hoxton without the w*****s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have a Morrison’s about a 1mile away, just been and filled up, they don't advertise what RON it is, they just say premier/premium, anyone know what that it is?