Driver's door lock problem

jasonc

Reaction score
I've found some posts describing similar problems to this but none that seem to match exactly so I'm just looking to get some advice before I go any further and have to shell out a load of cash.

When I press the unlock button on the key fob the driver's door does not unlock. The other three doors and the boot all unlock correctly. This started a few weeks ago as an intermittent problem (if I pressed the lock button and then the unlock button again the driver's door would unlock) but yesterday it turned into a permanent one. I can unlock the drivers door with the key and then it opens. I can also go in from the passenger side and then open the driver's door from the inside.

The lock/unlock buttons on the inside of the driver's door seem to be working correctly but the red light that normally comes on to show when the doors are locked (in between the lock and unlock buttons) is not working.

Strangely if I leave the drivers window open then pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob operates the drivers door lock correctly - this makes me think that there is nothing physically wrong with the lock and there is no point attacking it with grease or WD40.

A VCDS scan shows up the following two faults:

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver Labels: 8P0-959-801-MIN3.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 959 801 K HW: 8P0 959 801 K
Component: Tuer-SG H03 0060
Coding: 0000692
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 43AB946B02EDD0007CE

2 Faults Found:
01552 - Motor for Central Locking; Drivers Door (V56); Lock
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit
00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)
008 - Implausible Signal

My (totally unprofessional) conclusion was that the only solution will be to rip out the part mentioned and replace it with a new one however I have spoken to two Audi parts departments who have both quoted £215.09 for this part!

Has anybody dealt with this problem before? Can it be fixed without replacing the whole module? Is it worth trying to get a second hand module or would that be likely to fail after a while as well?

If I do have to bite the bullet and replace the module can anyone give an idea of how big a job it is to strip the door down - Audi quoted a labour charge of £186.48 so I'd rather just do it myself if possible.

Any tips much appreciated!

(Car is a 2008 58 plate S3 Sportback 8P3)

Check the wires in the door hinge rubber, could have frayed.

I could sort this for you for cheaper than the dealer.

Check the wires in the door hinge rubber, could have frayed.

I could sort this for you for cheaper than the dealer.

Thanks for the tip - I'll investigate the wires in the morning and see what state they are in.

Bizarrely the door unlocked correctly tonight when I left work. I must have spent half an hour messing about with it this morning and it didn't work once. It also didn't work when I used the car at lunchtime so I don't really know what's going on with it!

Could be sticking microswitches in the door control unit. These get gunged up with old grease and stop working and they give the canbus incorrect information.

Had this happen to me on passenger door - do a search and you will find the previous threads about it.