Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

AUDI A3 RATTLING WHEN PULLING AWAY AND TURNING

Hi Guys,

I've just recently been getting a clunk/rattle noise from the engine bay when pulling off in 1st to 2nd. And also when I'm turning either left or right its still there but then dissappears. Could this be gearbox related or engine/gearbox mounts??

Thanks guys

2. # ADS
    ADS

JPK
    1st Gear

Status
    The likely suspects would be engine/trans mounts, strut mounts or a loose subframe.

Look at the tyrolsport subframe collar kit. I just ordered one and am looking forward to feeling the difference. The product gets rave reviews.
    2005 A3 2.0T DSG Oettinger Body Styling, 19" RS5 Reps, APR Stage 1, Forge Twintake, Remus catback, BSH PCV Fix, 034 Motorsport Mounts, WALK, Whiteline bushings (F&R), Whiteline RSB, Whiteline BSK, Whiteline adjustable end links, H&R Sport Cup Kit, Stoptech Drilled Rotors, Hawk Pads, Tyrolsport stainless lines, Tyrolsport Calliper bushings, Tyrolsport DeadSet Subframe kit.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks man!

Would it be safe to rule out the gearbox? Because I don't have issue with mny clutch or anything like that...just the mental rattling when I pull away

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Rock the engine, box side & see how much play is in it, if its worn should be obvious, along with dogbone & the engine mount.

I changed one other day & the play was ridiculous tbh.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Rock the engine, box side & see how much play is in it, if its worn should be obvious, along with dogbone & the engine mount.

I changed one other day & the play was ridiculous tbh.
    Yeah I will do this weekend. Its just suddenly happened, I went out at lunch today and it was happening when I was turning right. Still chance of a mount?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JPK View Post
    Look at the tyrolsport subframe collar kit. I just ordered one and am looking forward to feeling the difference. The product gets rave reviews.
    ^^^THIS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Should get rave reviews for $200, all I can see is its just a washer as such, bolts are probably harder & non stretch I assume, be interested to see if placebo or do actually work that well.

ECS Tuning do a similar system for £14 or so.

JPK
    1st Gear

Status
    I tried the ECS option, didn't make much difference at the time and 1500kms later back to how it was.
    Tyrolsport kit is expensive but seems to be the only 'guaranteed' fix for the subframe clunk/shifting subframe issue.

The collars are the main component, not so much bolts and washers. Bolts still have the OEM spec 'shear' for safety reasons.

Info here: TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Subframe Collar Kit for all MK5/6, MK2 Audi TT: TyrolSport

I will report back when they are installed and try not to let any placebo effect sway my review
    2005 A3 2.0T DSG Oettinger Body Styling, 19" RS5 Reps, APR Stage 1, Forge Twintake, Remus catback, BSH PCV Fix, 034 Motorsport Mounts, WALK, Whiteline bushings (F&R), Whiteline RSB, Whiteline BSK, Whiteline adjustable end links, H&R Sport Cup Kit, Stoptech Drilled Rotors, Hawk Pads, Tyrolsport stainless lines, Tyrolsport Calliper bushings, Tyrolsport DeadSet Subframe kit.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Should get rave reviews for $200, all I can see is its just a washer as such, bolts are probably harder & non stretch I assume, be interested to see if placebo or do actually work that well.

ECS Tuning do a similar system for £14 or so.
    Nige, these work. The issue with the OEM bolts is they serve a double purpose. They locate the connection and they secure the connection. When VW made the bolts, they did not make them the same size diameter as the connection so as to save time with installation. They did not want to have the assembly line personnel each have a rubber hammer to push the bolt into the hole.
    The inherent defect is in the bolt locating the connection. Since the bolt is smaller, the connection has movement and hence over time, the subframe moves. The collars that are supplied on the kit locate the connection so the bolts only have to tighten the connection. We use this kit over on this side of the pond and all I say is that it works. The passat fix does not work over time. It lasted for about a month. just my 0.02

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I'll be watching with excitement

3rd Gear

Status
    My first impression...well it's been a week now after I installed the Tyrolsport subframe bushing kit. My clunk, creak, crunch sound is now a thing of the past. All I hear is the engine now. My problem was not the engine mounts, or the coilovers or the strut mounts. It was just the subframe shift caused by the design of the subframe bolts. Car's front end is solid and that makes me very happy. I thought I may have a problem with caster as the subframe will not move after putting in the kit. Alignment was no problem and caster was dead on. For what it is worth, I recommend this kit to all the frustrated peeps who hear that awful noise everyday especially when the weather is warm.

5th Gear

Status
    NHN shoots them down after they sepnt £200 by offering a £14 soloution haha
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 225bhp 351ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI140 View Post
    NHN shoots them down after they sepnt £200 by offering a £14 soloution haha
    No I wouldnt say that, just seemed an expensive bit of kit for what it is, but if it lasts & works, then its good for anyone that needs this.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Right I have actually done some more research with this kit & looked at the install pics etc & I will happily say I'm suitably impressed by what they've done, albeit I still think its expensive for what it is, but, its a very good idea indeed & I can see the design & subsequent affect it can have.

I do wonder though if audi designed the system as such so any knocks allowed it to move a bit or it was just a crap design by vag & if the 1st option & the subframe is now static, what happens if it receives a knock to the subframe etc now which cant move at all, food for thought.

3rd Gear

Status
    Nige, you are right about the cost when you look at what you get. A few shims and a couple of bolts right? But, to have that noise disappear is worth every penny. As you know, every mod has it's price. At this point, with my VF engineering mounts and the subframe bushings, I don't think anything moves in the engine bay. I can tell you that my open skye creaks more now. Ya know the tale of "If you give a mouse a cookie"?

The nice aspect of the ARP bolts is that they apparently don't stretch but they do shear like OEM so the crash mechanics should stay the same. It was a fun install and I sure love how it takes only 10 minutes to do the alignment with the new computer.

I know it's hard to impress you so that's why I always look at your threads to view the "devil's advocate" responses.Your viewpoints I trust

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I'm with you now tbh, its not just a few shims after studying it further, the inserts actually center things very well, so on that score I'll give you this one, even got me contemplating it lol.

Tell me, the knocking you got, did it sound like although the drive was being taken up which made you think it was an internal engine knocking?

3rd Gear

Status
    When I turned slowly on uneven pavement or going up a driveway at an angle or just driving at very low speeds, I could hear a clunking, creaking noise. I thought it was my coils so I put on the TEIN coilover covers to no avail. My engine mounts were fine. I knew it was the subframe after the noise went away with the Passat TSB. Noise came back as it did with several people over here. So in came tyrolsport

3rd Gear

Status
    I must give props to this invention. No more noise up front. No noise when going up driveways or over speed bumps. No increase in vibration. Solid when driving, solid when cornering. Simple design with a positive result. This product delivers

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    My subframe is knocking and popping like a mofo and it's driving me crazy

I ordered 4 x N90823501 bolts for the subframe and control arm bushes which I'm going to fit on sat. If this doesn't work I've found a company in the UK that does the collars as per the Tyrolsport kit from the US.

A3 (8P) S3(8P) TT (8J) - Front - Audi - Choose by Vehicle Manufacturer

By time you add shipping/import duty and vat there probably won't be much difference in price, although this kit doesn't come with any bolts, I'm guessing it's designed to be used with stock VAG bolts.
    MY'09 S3 Sportback |Gloss Black Mirrors |Buckets |Black Optiks |Open Sky |A good few other bits and bobs

6th Gear

Status
    Is this an issue with the 8L too? I get squeeks creaks and groans on the driver side when going round corners too. I shall have to have a good look over it at the weekend and check for sign of stuff moving.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*