So Stage 2+ Should come with a health warning......

K2000

Reaction score
on how soon you will be requiring a new clutch. Went to stage 2+ yesterday courtesy of AmD Essex, unfortunately having only been able to experience the improvement for a short blast along the M11, the inevitable happened, i experienced my 1st bit of clutch slip. Having viewed countless topics on this, i went into it knowing full well my clutch days were numbered, however hadn't realised quite how soon. There have been a few threads on clutches recently and it would appear the Loba-Sachs one's are getting good reviews although what i don't fully understand (which hopefully a few enlightened people will be able to tell me) is what the differences / benefits are from converting from a dual mass flywheel to a single one. How much does this affect the feel of the pedal compared to OE, i expect it may be slightly stiffer but ideally want the feel to retain as much as possible. The car is a 2.0 TFSI Quattro. Any advice/thoughts much appreciated.

I had exactly the same with mine mate. Feel your pain lol. Recommend the spec clutches. I've had no probs with mine and the smf rattle isn't too bad at all. These issues are all self made lol. Just enjoy the ride :weight_lift2:

Yeah ill be here soon, so what's the plus side of the SMF, better throttle response ?

Better feel to clutch and can handle way more power than stage 2+. Win win in my books. But do be aware pedal feel is very slightly harder. But boy does the s3 launch we'll now. Especially with 367 bhp.

Better feel to clutch and can handle way more power than stage 2+. Win win in my books. But do be aware pedal feel is very slightly harder. But boy does the s3 launch we'll now. Especially with 367 bhp.
Cheers for the replies guys, as it happens Big Harty, your thread has been one of the one's i've been watching over the last few months, can you let me know what exact clutch setup you went for in the end as in your thread it doesn't actually say and it does sound like a win win on whatever option you chose, your dead right, i don't really mind if the pedal feel is slightly harder, i just didn't want one that felt like a ton of bricks, my mate's scooby has one like this and it's really no pleasure and the fact that it can handle more power than stage 2+ is good to know, if i ever do decided to go for a Big Turbo - although i think that will be some time off. It seems once you start the list of things that need upgrading is never ending - Big Brake Kit, Sort suspension etc. However 1st on the list- New Clutch.

I went for spec stage 2. Cost was about 1200 quid. Plus fitting. But I must say worth every penny. If your ever around the midlands pm me and have a go with my car and see what you think. But do upgrade brakes first. Rs4 brakes are well worth the money too.

The single mass is miles better. I ran this on my S3 LOBA Motorsport Single Mass Flywheel and Sachs Clutch Conversion S3 8P (06-12) - GNJ Motorsport Yes you get a slight chatter at idle and a slightly stiffer pedal but all in all they are big improvement. The car feels more urgent and most importantly it can handle the power.
Thanks for the response, all signs seem to be pointing to this one above anything else. I can live with some chatter and slightly stiffer pedal if it means that i can actually use all that power which i know is lurking down there...

I went for spec stage 2. Cost was about 1200 quid. Plus fitting. But I must say worth every penny. If your ever around the midlands pm me and have a go with my car and see what you think. But do upgrade brakes first. Rs4 brakes are well worth the money too.
Nice one mate, I suspect i will have already bitten the bullet before my next visit to the midlands. Yes brakes were next on the list as i was hoping the clutch was going to last slightly longer. My original choice was the RS 4 brakes however i am now leaning towards a Porsche set up (But again a bit more research is required - Looks like ive got a busy/expensive weekend ahead).

The standard clutch is obviously not up to half the job. The fact that it is "girly" light gives us a clue.

A few months after going to Revo stage 1 I had the odd hint of slip when the outside temp was very cold.

Now at stage 2 it pretty much slips most of the time so mines booked in for a Sachs Organic which will do until I'm ready to go for the next stage. Hopefully the sachs will have a more meaty feel to it.

It handles it fine. Might have to start looking at a DSG stage 2 or 3 map and clutch upgrade at Stage 3 and up however.

Nice one mate, I suspect i will have already bitten the bullet before my next visit to the midlands. Yes brakes were next on the list as i was hoping the clutch was going to last slightly longer. My original choice was the RS 4 brakes however i am now leaning towards a Porsche set up (But again a bit more research is required - Looks like ive got a busy/expensive weekend ahead).

AMD are dealers for both Spec and Loba so you have a wide choice available to you.

The Spec Stg3 (the one I have) is really a race spec clutch that will handle nearly 600 lbs of torque.

Torque is the thing that kills clutches,not power and for anything below that sort of requirement, the Loba is ideal.

It will feel slightly heavier,but not by much and the chatter may be noticeable at idle but not while moving.

AMDTuning have done pretty much everything on my car and you'd be welcome to have a chat about it.

I've got Sachs/DMF at the start of the year and whilst it is heavier than the oem clutch (although not terribly and you do get used to it) the feel is the same.

AMD are dealers for both Spec and Loba so you have a wide choice available to you.

The Spec Stg3 (the one I have) is really a race spec clutch that will handle nearly 600 lbs of torque.

Torque is the thing that kills clutches,not power and for anything below that sort of requirement, the Loba is ideal.

It will feel slightly heavier,but not by much and the chatter may be noticeable at idle but not while moving.

AMDTuning have done pretty much everything on my car and you'd be welcome to have a chat about it.

I have to say your car is a huge insipiration, i have followed your thread for some months, it is impressive work. Thanks for the offer it would certaininly be good to have a chat as you seem to have already been there and done most of things that i am considering so it would be good to hear your thoughts. Unfortunatly i've got meetings all day so i will drop you a pm this evening/tomorrow and we can go from there.

Reactions: S3Alex
The single mass is miles better. I ran this on my S3

LOBA Motorsport Single Mass Flywheel and Sachs Clutch Conversion S3 8P (06-12) - GNJ Motorsport

Yes you get a slight chatter at idle and a slightly stiffer pedal but all in all they are big improvement. The car feels more urgent and most importantly it can handle the power.

I couldn't recommend Graeme at Gnjmotorsports enough. Having been emailing him this week I'm going with this product and I'm ordering it at the end of today. Hopefully have it fitted in a few weeks time. I'm ready for stage 2+ revo, got all the parts fitted to the car but the clutch has slipped so that needed sorting first...

I have to say your car is a huge insipiration, i have followed your thread for some months, it is impressive work. Thanks for the offer it would certaininly be good to have a chat as you seem to have already been there and done most of things that i am considering so it would be good to hear your thoughts. Unfortunatly i've got meetings all day so i will drop you a pm this evening/tomorrow and we can go from there.

Thanks a lot.

Very much appreciated and if I can give a bit back and separate other members from their cash at the same time!

I'm busy until late evening but will get back ASAP.

Thanks a lot.

Very much appreciated and if I can give a bit back and separate other members from their cash at the same time!

I'm busy until late evening but will get back ASAP.

Yes at the moment it seems very easy to become separated from my cash. No rush, i'm also busy this evening so will drop you a pm tomorrow.

Cheers.

Sounds good.