Audi MMI Sat Nav DVD question

210_MIH

Drive it like u stole it
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a stock sat nav unit in my 2006 a3. The disc is scratched so it doesnt load up properly. just wondering if 'any' audi sat nav disc will work if i was to buy it?

Also if anyone is selling one, let me know.

thanks

You have to have same year or newer as it uploads latest software mate. Don't buy cheap copies though.

Just wanted to revive this thread....got a new disc which my satnav wont read.

Im guessing the laser may need cleaning or replacing - wondering if there are any decent kits available to do this or do i have to open the unit up?

If the 'new' disk you have tried is a genuine Audi nav disk, my advice would be to clean the laser lens. I did mine by pulling the unit out (with the proper keys), just far enough to get the top lid off. No need to disconnect. Remove the DVD disk and turn off the unit. With the lid off, the laser lens can be see right away as it points upwards. I gently cleaned mine with a cotton bud soaked in alcohol. Made a difference I am sure. By the way, I have seen videos of this very thing being done on Utube, so try googling it if necessary. However, if what you put in was a copy, then you need to borrow an Audi disk to test it properly. Good luck.

Thanks bud. Will have a crack at this.

You could try cleaning the lens with a lens cleaner DVD also - a lot simpler than taking the unit apart and a good first step, usually fixed the problem.

You could try cleaning the lens with a lens cleaner DVD also - a lot simpler than taking the unit apart and a good first step, usually fixed the problem.

Can you maybe recommend one?

Don't agree. Most lens cleaners just try to simply brush dust off the lens. I believe that the lenses get dirty due to other issues such as a film of dirt, oil, etc, that does need proper cleaning off. Best way to check is to use a genuine Audi DVD and then if that does not work, clean the lens as above. Good luck.

The RNS is easy to take apart and takes about 30 mins to strip down and clean the head. If you've been using copied DVD's then the head needs to work harder which shortens its life. "Buy cheap, pay twice"

Thanks guys

I have used genuine audi DVDs. It was scratched like mad had to give that a good clean also.

So...i just thought I'd put some pics up if anyone wants to clean their lens. as i couldnt find a guide. Its very easy and cos tme £10 to do.

Bought some removal keys and isopropyl alcohol from ebay.

First removed the stereo.... and opened up the 3 small screws on the top...

IMG 5071

and the four slightly bigger screws on the side.

IMG 5072

Opening the lid it looks likes this on the inside:

IMG 5073

the laser it self is just under the metal housing....

IMG 5074

gave it a good clean with the alcohol, and the cotton bud looked dirty after....no wonder it didnt work

IMG 5077

so I left it for 15 monutes and put it all back together. put in my DVD...

IMG 5080

And it worked a treat! can navigate around the menu a lot quicker and the screen seems crisp as well.

Miniture guide but seeing as I couldnt find anything to help i thought Id put this on.

Reactions: Adam_A3_