OIl / Service Question

miw615

Reaction score
My car has Castrol Edge Proffesional oil in it - last changed 2000 miles ago in August 2012. My dealer says that it requires an oil change this coming August, by then it would have covered only 4000miles since the last oil change - the service was an "inspection service" - sounds a bit strong to me. questions............

1. Surely the oil can last for another year so it would be changed at approximately 8000 miles - problems?
2. Is this oil used for both the inspection service and the long life service and what is the difference between the two services?
3. What is the difference between the Castrol 5w 30 oil and Quantum 5w 30 (made by castrol I understand?) - can I run my car
on one type all year round no matter what service interval I take?
4. Given that my mileage will be between 6000 -8000 miles a year what service plan should I follow and with which oil?

Because of my low mileage all my other cars (three Mercedes) - (petrol engines) have their oils changed every two years regardless of mileage (which is between 1500 - 3500 miles per car per year) so is there any reason why the Audi can't be the same?

Thanks in advance for replies
smile.png

Modern oil can last a lot longer than a year.
Only you can decide if you want to change it though. In all reality, its going to make no difference. So many cars go without oil changes. As long as the level is ok, thats most important.

Personally, i always change my oil every year. But i only pay for the filter :) Oil rep told me i was wasting good oil (previous high performance petrol engines, sub 5k a year running Mobil 1 0w/40 fully syn) said it hadnt even started to break down and lose performance so no point changing it.

I dont know the difference between the 2 oils. But theres many different oils, some listed as long life, or fuel economy etc.